Suit up!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ghost dog

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how you peeps dress around the office and for consults.

Do you wear a suit, or a shirt and tie?

Do you find a suit too intimidating for patients, or conversely do you think this is a professional look?

I ask, as I just bought 2 expensive suits. The wife has been nagging me to death about my terrrible state of attire.

Members don't see this ad.

Just wondering how you peeps dress around the office and for consults.

Do you wear a suit, or a shirt and tie?

Do you find a suit too intimidating for patients, or conversely do you think this is a professional look?

I ask, as I just bought 2 expensive suits. The wife has been nagging me to death about my terrrible state of attire.

Scrubs. Ties are gross as they are just something to catch germs. Patients are gross, I don't want to tak any of them home to my wife and kids...

Members don't see this ad :)
Custom scrub tops with slacks.

High end scrubs. Although I admire anybody that can tolerate a suit in clinic.

waht is a "high end scrub" a custom scrub top...

are these what Dr. 90210 wears with the sleeves cut off?

Hospital scrubs. The greenish/blue color. For surgeons. Blue in our hospital is for medicine and OR Techs.

Pain Team in my office used to wear grey Sketchers scrubs. Patients complained. Now the sweet little old ladies come in and tell me how pretty my eyes look with the green/blue color scrubs. I can never wear anything else. And they're free.

waht is a "high end scrub" a custom scrub top...

are these what Dr. 90210 wears with the sleeves cut off?

Yes, with pec's and tats proudly displayed.

Half the reason I went into pain was to wear scrubs (harder to justify as PMR only). Nice quality dark blue scrubs with office logo and my name, same on the white coat. I wear street clothes in the am, change there, leave the scrubs at work, hopefully a little less MRSA for my family.

Half the reason I went into pain was to wear scrubs (harder to justify as PMR only). Nice quality dark blue scrubs with office logo and my name, same on the white coat. I wear street clothes in the am, change there, leave the scrubs at work, hopefully a little less MRSA for my family.

I wear my scrubs to bed and pop up ready to roll. (Just like PW football, cleats on, lights out.)

About what did patients complain? Both in SC and HI, nurses wore grey scrubs without issue, and it didn't look out of place at all.

It was a dreary grey and folks were saying it was depressing. Whatever. I like my sparkly blue eyes to POP for the 85 y/o ladies anyways.

Black scrubs, my logo embossed on them. from here:

http://www.medelita.com/mens-scrub-tops.html

There is a non interventional pm&r doc who wears scrubs only. But they look good. They have his name and are ironed.

Wow! Those are expensive scrubs. $50 for the top and $60 for the pant plus embroidering costs of $15+.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a non interventional pm&r doc who wears scrubs only. But they look good. They have his name and are ironed.

Wow! Those are expensive scrubs. $50 for the top and $60 for the pant plus embroidering costs of $15+.

i just said the same thing!!! mine are powder blue and free, and i have like 4 million pairs...

i wear shirt and tie - no jacket...

for procedures i put on surgical gown over everything -

scrubs would be smarter from an ID point of view though.

there was a study a few years ago - will have to locate it that looked at what patients "trust" the most:
doctor in dress clothes, with white coat and stethoscope wrapped around the neck...

there was a study a few years ago - will have to locate it that looked at what patients "trust" the most:
doctor in dress clothes, with white coat and stethoscope wrapped around the neck...

http://fampra.oxfordjournals.org/content/15/5/391

http://www.webmd.com/healthy-aging/news/20030612/patients-prefer-doctor-dress-code

UK Hospital dress code
http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2007-09-17-472598993_x.htm

Back in my med school days, I preferred scrubs. I remember getting spanked for this during my peds rotation. You will never meet a bunch of people with a bigger stick up their asses than peds.

Now I'm like Barney ... I like to " suit up." Go figure.

I wear my scrubs to bed and pop up ready to roll. (Just like PW football, cleats on, lights out.)

HA!

When I was a fellow, I lived across the street from the hospital. We started rounds at 7:30 with the attending (residents would pre-round), so if I showered the night before, I could wake up, brush my teach and be on time with the alarm set about 7:20. It was lovely.

I stopped wearing ties at the office years ago when I got tired of getting patient body goo on the them.

MD Anderson required us to wear shirt, tie, white coat. After 4 years of anesthesia, I was miserable in the getup. I wore scrubs to work for 4 years. I recently switched to wearing dress button-down and trousers/khakis. I switched for two reasons. One, it made it much easier to go straight from work to a restaurant or social outing without looking like a douche. Two, I got fat in scrubs. Real clothes have a way of reminding you that you've skipped the gym for a couple of weeks.

Now that I'm not dirt poor, I can afford some decent clothes. Nothing flashy, but Brooks Brothers makes great wrinkle-free slim fit shirts and khakis that look awesome straight out of the drier. My patients have commented that I look more professional.

Tim Deer wears hand-made $2000+ suits to work every day to his office in Charleston, WV. His shoes cost more than my best suit. 90% of his patients are coal miners without a pot to piss in.

http://www.wildandwonderfulwhites.com

He seems to be unaware of how unbelievably out of place he looks. He's overdressed for a Wall Street board meeting. Try to blend in with your peers.

MD Anderson required us to wear shirt, tie, white coat. After 4 years of anesthesia, I was miserable in the getup. I wore scrubs to work for 4 years. I recently switched to wearing dress button-down and trousers/khakis. I switched for two reasons. One, it made it much easier to go straight from work to a restaurant or social outing without looking like a douche. Two, I got fat in scrubs. Real clothes have a way of reminding you that you've skipped the gym for a couple of weeks.

Now that I'm not dirt poor, I can afford some decent clothes. Nothing flashy, but Brooks Brothers makes great wrinkle-free slim fit shirts and khakis that look awesome straight out of the drier. My patients have commented that I look more professional.

Tim Deer wears hand-made $2000+ suits to work every day to his office in Charleston, WV. His shoes cost more than my best suit. 90% of his patients are coal miners without a pot to piss in.

He seems to be unaware of how unbelievably out of place he looks. He's overdressed for a Wall Street board meeting. Try to blend in with your peers.

You forgot to mention his hair. Great genetics. And he's probably competitive as a triathlete. If you are going to overachieve- do it like Tim- do it in all ways. And the worst part is that he is just a real nice guy. You can just talk to him. Makes we want to try harder.

If his patients are coal miners how does he make his money? Do they have good insurance?

mayo makes you wear a jacket every day. that in an of itself made me not wanna go there. also, the fact that its in the middle of nowhere, but thats beside the point. my semi-apologies to the minnesota folk

If his patients are coal miners how does he make his money? Do they have good insurance?
Three letters come to mind. And a particular Saint... I agree he seems like a nice enough guy. But I also would not choose that particular get-up. What good can come from that kind of attention?