Suits for interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Liberty2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need help. I know I need to get a nice suit for upcoming interviews, but I don't know the first thing about quality suits. What color is considered most appropriate for an interview? Would navy with pinstripes be a safe bet? How about ties/undershirts/shoes? I'm not looking to spend a ton of money either, thinking less than $300. Any suggestions are appreciated as i really know nothing about this.

Members don't see this ad.

Here's what I wore to mine - black suit with a very subtle herringbone stitch pattern, classic white shirt, and a different tie than the usual red power tie. I thought it looked good, and I got accepted so I guess it worked.:D

Attachments

• IMG_1816 edited.jpg
    IMG_1816 edited.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 86
I need help. I know I need to get a nice suit for upcoming interviews, but I don't know the first thing about quality suits. What color is considered most appropriate for an interview? Would navy with pinstripes be a safe bet? How about ties/undershirts/shoes? I'm not looking to spend a ton of money either, thinking less than $300. Any suggestions are appreciated as i really know nothing about this.

Go to Goodwill (or whatever charity is in your area) and buy whatever fits/looks good. No need to spend anywhere near $300. Plus it's for a good cause.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you a guy? If you are, you could go to Men's Wearhouse or a similar store to that. They should be able to help you find an appropriate suit.

If you can wait a few months, I got my suit on Black Friday last year at Macy's. It's a really nice Ralph Lauren suit (I think valued at $300 or so) that I got under $200 and didn't even need altered since it was sold as separates. Really good deals on Black Friday (and I didn't even show up to the store that early, probably around noon).

I went to Bon Ton/Bergners/Carsons/ whatever it's called in your state. A guy measured me and helped me buy a suit, two shirts, and two ties all for under $300

I did this by opening a Bergner's Card and then printing out online coupons (15% off each item) If it's per item make sure you print out enough coupons!

I was wondering what is everyone's opinion on wearing a vest or sweater vest (with a tie) instead of a jacket? Though I have a jacket, I am not a big fan of wearing it. However, since last year I have really gotten into wearing a vest and sweater vest especially since it makes me stand out when everyone else is wearing a jacket. Also, it does not hurt that it makes me look good ;)

Last edited:
I was wondering what is everyone's opinion on wearing a sweater vest instead of a jacket? Though I have a jacket, I am not a big fan of wearing it. However, since last year I have really gotten into wearing a sweater vest (with a tie) especially since it makes me stand out when everyone else is wearing a jacket. Also, it does not hurt that it makes me look good ;)

Honestly, I would wear the jacket. I think the sweater vest will make you stand out.. but maybe not in the right way. You don't want to stand out for being under dressed. Besides, it's just one day & most guys tend to pull it off very nicely :) Just my two cents.

Kohl's is a good place to get a modestly priced, decent looking suit. Go with a black or black pinstriped suit, white shirt, black tie, and black shoes with black or dark gray socks. Don't forget a freakin' belt. Play the sales right and you'll get it all for about $250 or so.

Get that and you'll have a monkey suit that will never go out of acceptable business standards.

do a google search for "professional interview attire" and you'll find tons of advice. If you narrow it down to advice for grads right out of law school applying for their first job is, I think, most comparable.

Best advice: clean (haircut, shave, clean under nails, etc); professional (make sure your suit fits correctly, google search that if necessary, jcrew has awesome mens suits, especially the ludlow style -- my husband looks hot wearing one, and its my opinion that the money is worth it); no fashion statements; navy, charcoal, or black suit; don't carry anything an attorney wouldn't carry; the point is for you to shine through your outfit, not your outfit to speak for you; ladies, same advice, pants or skirt suit are fine.

Overall impression from research is to go with what you feel most confident wearing, because that will make the biggest difference. :)

If you really don't know the first thing about quality suits, go to a place like Men's Wearhouse and get fitted for one. Let them know your budget and they'll find something for you that'll look good. Tell them you want a look that'll be in fashion forever, and let them do their thing. You can certainly do cheaper by doing some of the things suggested here, but it won't look as good. Trust me.

If you really don't know the first thing about quality suits, go to a place like Men's Wearhouse and get fitted for one. Let them know your budget and they'll find something for you that'll look good. Tell them you want a look that'll be in fashion forever, and let them do their thing. You can certainly do cheaper by doing some of the things suggested here, but it won't look as good. Trust me.

Pssh...speak for yourself. I make any suit look good.

But if you're going to go that far, go all he way. Custom tailored suit. Find some old-country dude that can barely speak English that has been a tailor since 1947 or some ****...that's where the real quality is.

Pssh...speak for yourself. I make any suit look good.

But if you're going to go that far, go all he way. Custom tailored suit. Find some old-country dude that can barely speak English that has been a tailor since 1947 or some ****...that's where the real quality is.

Well yeah, but I doubt he'll stay on budget going that route.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was thinking of wearing a bow-tie, but I think the interviewer may focus too much on it. Do you guys tend to keep your jackets on during the interview? I'm leaning towards rocking a pair of suspenders, which I can pull off incredibly well might I add.

Edit: Forgot to give the OP a response. I have a Calvin Klein suit that's a charcoal with very fine pinstripes. Was about $400 or so, including shoes I believe. Make sure you ask for some help though and try out plenty of jackets to see how they fit on your shoulders. I preferred a sportier shoulder that fit closer as I'm a smaller guy around the shoulders. (Didn't want to end up looking like a football player.) Anyway, got it at Macy's. They were super helpful but don't let them steer you towards a more expensive suit.

Last edited:
Kohl's is a good place to get a modestly priced, decent looking suit. Go with a black or black pinstriped suit, white shirt, black tie, and black shoes with black or dark gray socks. Don't forget a freakin' belt. Play the sales right and you'll get it all for about $250 or so.

Get that and you'll have a monkey suit that will never go out of acceptable business standards.

This would work as funeral attire as well...double score!