Summer classes as non-trad...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wdwrn

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have advice on summer classes as a non-trad? I am going to have to take at least two separate courses over the summer in order to make my plan of attack work. Summer sessions at my local university are 5 weeks each, and I'm looking at doing Gen Chem II during one term (Summer II, 2015), and then Physics I another (Summer I, 2016).

I work FT 3 12-hr shifts a week at a hospital, and won't be able to drop. I'm planning on using 5 days of vacation during the terms so that I'm still technically FT, but will be working two 12-hr shifts a week (will either do Sat/Sun days, or Fri/Sat nights). Is working like this and taking the courses reasonable? The classes are M-F, two hours of lecture in the morning, and then 3 days of lab in addition, 3 hours of that. I figure as long as I study hard everyday M-F when I'm out of class, working is reasonable.

Would love advice whether this is doable, or seems too much. I've been posting a lot of redundant questions about scheduling on here lately so I appreciate you all!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure, I feel like that would be a heck of a lot of information crammed into 5 weeks! However, if you devote nearly ALL of your non-work time to it, and use up as much vacay/leave time as possible, especially to study for the tests, it might work. I do not like condensed courses, but I might have to eventually take them too b/c in the summer, there's not a lot offered in the traditional format at the school I'm attending. If you have kids/family commitment on top of it, I would highly doubt it, but then again you might be better at science then I am as I am a former English major working my way back into sciences!!!

This is definitely up to your personality. Think back to a time when you were extremely busy: How did you feel? Have you ever been that busy? If you are still uncertain, do you want to risk your admission to medical school? I've taken courses as you have described, but I have stayed busy almost my entire life, so I knew I could handle it. I personally don't think it is good to risk medical school admission on taking condensed courses if you are not absolutely certain you could ace the courses.
If you feel you need to do this, I would find a tutor just in case you begin to feel behind or at least find someone to hold you accountable and help keep you on track. It may even help to form a study group from members of your class.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took Chemistry this summer while working full time (I also have 4 kids and a wife). I can say that it was VERY difficult to manage my time. BUT, I feel like I learned a ton and I received an A in the class.

Was it worth it? Yes
Was it hard? Yes
Would I do it again? Absolutely

Hard work pays off!

Reactions: 1 user
I advised a buddy of mine – who had a wife, 2 kids, and a FT job – to take Physics II in the second condensed summer session. He got an A-, so it worked out. Our Physics only had 10 labs though, which makes a real difference over the summer.

For your Gen Chem II, you could study on your own over the first summer session. Try getting a syllabus from the prof in advance. Hopefully problems from the text will be on the syllabus; you can work those in advance.

Physics I could be tougher since you’ll have less time to pre-study. You may have to use more vacation time for this one.

If your lab manual doesn’t change from term to term, you can do pre-lab questions… anything to reduce the workload.

Having the vacation in hand is smart. Can you get more vacation just in case?

A lot will depend on the prof at your school, but I think you can do it. Good luck.

Wow, great answers, esp. the last one. Thanks a lot guys.

Both classes are sink or swim unless you've been previously exposed to it. How good is your math? I would do it if I had no obligations to attend to. These days, even getting groceries is a hassle in my schedule.

I did Gen Chem I and II this summer, each one in five weeks, while working about 20 hrs per week (like you I have a FT job but used vacation days to make it work).

A lot of good advice in this thread so far. If you are comfortable with math, it will be a lot easier. Most people who struggled in my Chem II summer class were trying to learn the chemistry at the same time that they were trying to relearn the high school math they needed to do the chemistry.

Sounds obvious, but the most important thing to do with the condensed class is to stay on top of it and not fall behind. I went to campus in the morning for 9 AM lectures, and regardless of my lab schedule for the rest of the day, I stayed on campus and studied until 5 PM. Basically treated it like a full time job. Do whatever kind of studying works for you (for me it's SRS flashcards) immediately after lecture; start problem sets as soon as they're assigned; same with lab writeups; etc. If you can discipline yourself to a schedule like this you may actually do better in a summer class than a traditional one, because you'll outperform other students who aren't able to buckle down and work consistently with the accelerated schedule. I found it was WAY easier for me as a non-trad to come to terms with this and just get it done than for the undergrads in my classes... YMMV.

I was able to do most of my job work on the weekends like you and I usually found that there wasn't a lot of studying that I really needed to do on the weekend. If your prof schedules Monday exams you might be in a bit of a crunch.