Summer Elective in Dublin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Valerie33

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a first year medical student attending the University of Western Ontario in Canada. I am interested in doing a summer elective following my first year, in Dublin at any one of the medical schools, but I am having trouble figuring out how to set one up. I visited RCSI over the summer, in August, but they told me that I would need to wait a couple of years. The problem is that we only have a 4 year program, and we start our clerkship after the first two years. That leaves me only the summer after first and second year to do electives. If anyone has any advice as to how I should go about setting up a summer elective, that would be great!! I also have some research experience, so if anyone knows of any research programs for international med students, that would be great!! Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm, you might have to contact the appropriate "advisors" at each hospital to find an answer to that. All of them probably would think that doing electives after at least your 1st medical year would be too soon (as you're still in preclinical training). You could try for the summer of your 2nd year. Even though you guys start clerkships/rotations for 3rd & 4th year, there sould be allowance either through summer holiday or ability to complete an international rotation for you to be able to complete an elective away? Ask your administration about this. Usually when people set up electives, it's in their final 2 years, not their first 2 years. Come back to us once you've gotten details from the admin of your program and we'll see what we can sort in the way of names/contact info