Summer Jobs for current dental student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentalStudent8991

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I currently finished up my D1 year and have approximately a 2 month break before starting D2. Im back in my hometown and im thinking of ways to make some money because the idea of "relaxing" all summer is troubling. I was hoping to work as a dental office receptionist or front office staff member, but there arent too many job postings specifically for that.

Would it be appropriate to cold call random dental offices and ask if they are hiring for a position like that? What other jobs are people doing during the summer?

(was also thinking about working as a server/bartender etc)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I currently finished up my D1 year and have approximately a 2 month break before starting D2. Im back in my hometown and im thinking of ways to make some money because the idea of "relaxing" all summer is troubling. I was hoping to work as a dental office receptionist or front office staff member, but there arent too many job postings specifically for that.

Would it be appropriate to cold call random dental offices and ask if they are hiring for a position like that? What other jobs are people doing during the summer?

So…pretty much by the time they’ve onboarded you and given you some semblance of on the job training, you’ll be leaving.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 2 users
Uber, Lyft, DoorDash etc. You control your own work schedule. I wish these jobs were available when I was in dental school. I delivered newspapers from 3am to 6am during my undergrad years. A lot of my co-workers had full time jobs somewhere else and this was their 2nd job. It's a 365 days/yr job.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

I wouldn't bother with the dental field. Noone in their right mind would hire and train someone for 2 months- for them to quit.

I recommend gig jobs- door dash, uber etc. You would be surprised how much money you can make.

Reactions: 2 users
I’ll echo that a dental office isn’t going to hire you.

Establish yourself on Upwork and work there taking gigs while you’re in school.

See if you can get a job as a "bench monkey" in a dental lab.
You will learn and perfect practical lab skills there.