Summer Plan for ACT?

Blueberry92

hs Senior
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I've finally got out of school and I'm about to dive into ACT prep for upcoming fall. So my goal is 34-35 and my first score was a 24 since I was terribly sick.(really) I took one last week again but I was sick again
-_-
Then I was happy to see that some of you received low range score the first time and a big jump score next time. So for anyone who've gone through such high peak score difference, what did you do to prepare? English is my second language and so I really need to prepare to get that 34!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Blueberry!

First off i want to say that english was my second language aswell so i know exactly what your going through lol.
The first time i took the ACT i scored a 19 composite(horrible, i know). The second time around, I jumped from a 19 to a 25 :cool:
What I did to prepare was that i took a few extra practice ACT exams online the night before the exam to get myself familiarized. The first time i took the exam i did absolutely nothing lol.

I would definately not spend the whole summer studying for the act. Just do a few practice tests and brush up on areas you feel weak in. The act has a limited range of types of questions, which definately works
to your advantage.

Tips:

Math: I would just pick up a practice test book, like Princeton or kaplan, and do one of the tests. Math concepts don't change, so learn what you got wrong so you get it right on the act.

English: honestly, I don't know how you can study for it. I read a crapload of books in grade school, so I knew what sounded right and picked that choice.

Reading: This can be tricky...... My advice is to paint a picture of the story in your head while reading, so you can remember the details.

Science: The hardest section, at least for me. So I won't comment on it.

10th grade scores:
34 English
35 Reading
27 Math
26 Science
31 Composite

11th grade scores:
35 English
34 Reading
32 Math
27 Science
33 Composite

I think your english score is the least likely to change, because you either have a foundation in English or you don't. Math is the most likely to change, no only because you learn more math as you move up grade levels, but you can effectively learn from your mistakes.

Good luck!