Summer Reading

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

postbacpremed87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey gang,

So my first year of medical school is coming to a close. I am excited to open up a book (leisure reading) while relaxing on the beach. Do you have any recommendations (possibly ones with a psych spin)?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
"The Plague" by Albert Camus
Anything by Haruki Murakami

Reactions: 1 user
Probably too soon since your not on wards, but house of God should be required reading at somepoint.

-Gomers go to ground
-the patient is the one with the disease
-placement comes first
-the delivery of good medical care is to do as much nothing as [safely] possible
-if you don't take a temperature you can't find a fever

Those are some stone cold laws you can hang your hat on IMO. (I'm less enthusiastic about some of the others)

Ernesto Sabato " The tunnel"- My all-time favorite short book
Anything written by Dostoyevsky( but I guess you have already read all of that)
Thomas Bernhard " Frost" or " The lime works" ( even better)

I would HIGHLY recommend The Making of DSM III by Hannah Decker (http://newbooksinpsychology.com/201...nquest-of-american-psychiatry-oxford-up-2013/). The history of psychiatry in America is actually quite complex , and the author does a brilliant job of explaining why analysis was such a dominant force, deinstitutionalization and the distancing of psychiatry from mainstream medicine, the antipsychiatry movement and the need for reform, the biological inspiration and philosophy of the Wash U iconoclasts and their characterization as "neo--Kraepelinian," the person, intellectual nature, and incredible resolve of Robert Spitzer, etc etc etc. Great book!

Reactions: 1 user