Summer research: how does it look?

Chemistry>Physics

Puggy
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does summer research through an SIP or SURF program look good? I mean I realize it probably does but is it too little time to fully get immersed in the material and learn anything substantial? I got accepted to an SIP spot at the NIH. I'm going to take it but how does summer research look to an adcom?

Members don't see this ad.

Stop striving to be a premed robot and do what makes you passionate.

But yes, if the lab work was productive and doesn't involve you being a lab monkey, it will "look good."

Reactions: 1 user
^^^ That.

Do it because you're passionate about the scientific process and don't just follow instructions. Ask questions. Get engaged. Be able to talk about why what you're doing is meaningful

Members don't see this ad :)
oh lord, granted I may have gone into research for its merits, I strongly suggest that after so many years of research experience...only do it if you think you like it. Otherwise, you are better worth spending your time to activities you like.

Does summer research through an SIP or SURF program look good? I mean I realize it probably does but is it too little time to fully get immersed in the material and learn anything substantial? I got accepted to an SIP spot at the NIH. I'm going to take it but how does summer research look to an adcom?
The main thing that matters with any research experience is your role in it and productivity (posters/publications/PI letter of recommendation). keep that in mind for any research experience you choose to get involved in.

oh lord, granted I may have gone into research for its merits, I strongly suggest that after so many years of research experience...only do it if you think you like it. Otherwise, you are better worth spending your time to activities you like.
It's hard for an undergrad who may not have had substantial research experience to know if they like it or not. Most top schools have majority of students with research experience. The experience will be valuable.

It's hard for an undergrad who may not have had substantial research experience to know if they like it or not. Most top schools have majority of students with research experience. The experience will be valuable.
I don't think that an undergrad can know exactly to love or dislike research because not all experiences may be the same either. But they need to get a general overview of the type of personalities that enter it. If that is not them, there is no reason to go into that much detail for the sake of medical schools.

As far the experience goes, it's not as good as a long-term project over the course of a couple years in which you can get more involved in the project, but it's certainly better than no research at all.

EDIT: But as others have alluded to, don't be overly concerned with how it will look to Adcoms. Focus on getting something out of it.

As far the experience goes, it's not as good as a long-term project over the course of a couple years in which you can get more involved in the project, but it's certainly better than no research at all.

EDIT: But as others have alluded to, don't be overly concerned with how it will look to Adcoms. Focus on getting something out of it.
My post probably seemed really impartial to the whole thing and I came off as a premed robot. Truth is I'm really interested in an Md/PhD. Have been doing research for two years with one first author pub, and hopefully keep doing it into next year when I'll be a freshman. I really want to take a further look into research as a career path but I know I'm unlike the academics who I often see in it. I'm passionate about the work because I like the science and the potential which discovery has. Yet I don't know what the 6 years of extra schooling would do to a personality like me. Hahah sorry for the aside, but thanks for the response!

I feel like there should be a reasonable concern with any action we take as pre meds because we are all competing under the looking glass of admissions committees, you know?

It looks fine. I did the NIH SIP the summer after my freshman year. I don't remember it coming up specifically in interviews, but it was also one of my less substantial research experiences. I'm sure it didn't look bad though.

Stop striving to be a premed robot and do what makes you passionate.

But yes, if the lab work was productive and doesn't involve you being a lab monkey, it will "look good."
Doing's what you're passionate about isn't always the best for your application in my opinion.

My post probably seemed really impartial to the whole thing and I came off as a premed robot. Truth is I'm really interested in an Md/PhD. Have been doing research for two years with one first author pub, and hopefully keep doing it into next year when I'll be a freshman. I really want to take a further look into research as a career path but I know I'm unlike the academics who I often see in it. I'm passionate about the work because I like the science and the potential which discovery has. Yet I don't know what the 6 years of extra schooling would do to a personality like me. Hahah sorry for the aside, but thanks for the response!

I feel like there should be a reasonable concern with any action we take as pre meds because we are all competing under the looking glass of admissions committees, you know?
You'll be a freshman next year so are you asking about the summer before starting college?

Well it won't look bad. If your interested in research I would say go for it, worst case scenario you hate it and realize maybe research isn't for you.

How are you unlike the academics in research?

It looks fine. I did the NIH SIP the summer after my freshman year. I don't remember it coming up specifically in interviews, but it was also one of my less substantial research experiences. I'm sure it didn't look bad though.

Me tooooooooo! :)

I can't remember if it came up in my med school interviews but it actually came up in some residency interviews even though I had more recent research that was more substantial and more "my own." But the NIH research programs are pretty solid and it was a good way to get into research. Also really helped me get into a lab at school (in the same field)

You can do research without the PhD.

You can do research without the PhD.

And you'll save a lot of time and sanity!

Edit: Just curious, what journal were you published in?

Last edited:

If you are truly going to be a freshman in college you are light years ahead of others if you already have a first-author pub in high school. Just to be clear, you are talking about a first-author pub in a medical/science journal right? Not like an online opinion piece or blog post right?

As far as the NIH internship is concerned, I would TAKE the experience. Especially if you are interested in MD/PhD. If anything, you can network with people who you may be able to shadow or get opportunities with later in life. Plus having NIH on your list of experiences as a freshman will set you up very well for competitive student research positions at whatever institution you are going to. You will be able to apply for student positions with the same experience as most juniors and could probably skip the "scut" work that a lot of my friends, myself included, had to do in order to be given more independent research.

Bottom line, I agree with other posters that if you truly are interested in research, this opportunity would be great. Especially too b/c I know 2 physicians that sit on the board for the MD/PhD admissions committee at my alma mater who both did a summer project at the NIH and said it helped spark their interest in the MD/PhD tract. I did not apply MD/PhD but have shadowed and had extensive talks with both of them about these types of research projects. DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!

Also, even if you end up not applying MD/PhD later in life, this will still look good as a research experience for MD schools.