SUNY binghamton vs Suny Buffalo. Help ):

Lachrymose

The Confused one
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hope I'm posting this in the right forum haha.

I'm stuck deciding between SUNY Buffalo and Suny Binghamton for undergrad. I know both schools are great and regardless of where I go, so long as I work hard, I will be able to do well and go to med school.
Suny Buffalo gave me a scholarship for 5000/year and acceptance into the honors college.
Binghamton, however, has less students within it and thats a major plus for me.

I'd be majoring in biomedical sciences at Buffalo and Biology at Binghamton if it helps o.o

Help me :( I'm so confused.

Members don't see this ad.

i know people that go to both, i would personally suggest going to buffalo, because your classes would be less competitive ( due to the students), so that you may get higher grades while having a great education. i have many pre-med friends, and they all agree that if they could have gone to a relatively easier school, they would have done it in a heart beat ( they go to stony brook).

Cool. Finally a SUNY kid is on here. Good luck with your decision, bruh.
I'd say go to Binghamton. It's like the Harvard of the SUNY schools :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
i know people that go to both, i would personally suggest going to buffalo, because your classes would be less competitive ( due to the students), so that you may get higher grades while having a great education. i have many pre-med friends, and they all agree that if they could have gone to a relatively easier school, they would have done it in a heart beat ( they go to stony brook).

Thanks! I thought that Buffalo would be more competitive because of the size of the student body with 19000 undergrads (many of whom are aiming for health related fields). Do you have premed friends in Binghamton? It seems students are really happy there but I don't really hear much about pre-med there even though many people pursue biological sciences.

I hope I'm posting this in the right forum haha.

I'm stuck deciding between SUNY Buffalo and Suny Binghamton for undergrad. I know both schools are great and regardless of where I go, so long as I work hard, I will be able to do well and go to med school.
Suny Buffalo gave me a scholarship for 5000/year and acceptance into the honors college.
Binghamton, however, has less students within it and thats a major plus for me.

I'd be majoring in biomedical sciences at Buffalo and Biology at Binghamton if it helps o.o

Help me :( I'm so confused.

at bing, their science courses are less intense than buffalo since its less of a science school. so i guess your pre-reques are going to be slightly easier i would guess. but some thing tells me buffalo is the better choice for the simple reason that their school has a hospital on its own, so if you wanted some medically related experiences, ull know where to go. i know this full well since i got to stony. i research/volunteer for this hospital, and i think i am getting a LOR written by a the head of one of the departments because i do research for him, or atleast i hope. a letter like this is just priceless.

I went to a small private school in NY and am doing a post-bac at a less prestigious SUNY. However, my gf is at SUNY bing so I can comment on what I've seen there and her experience.

The students seem very competitive and less willing to help each other than at other schools, based on what I've seen and what she has said. Many students there seem to think they are taking classes at Cornell or something, talking down to me as if my classes are easier. This attitude makes my gf nervous to take certain classes (she just aced her first test in a class that is known to be among the hardest classes), don't let it effect you. If you go there don't get caught up in the attitude that your classes are harder than elsewhere, they aren't. They justify lesser grades with the idea that the difficulty is among the toughest universities in the nation.

Grades can sometimes be heavily TA dependant but I imagine it's like that at both schools. A really crappy situation IMO and I'm glad I've never had to put up with that. She had a TA making blatantly wrong corrections on her papers last semester while other TAs were just handing out A's. She and others talked to the professor about it and he simply did not care. This happens more than one would like.

However, it is a fairly prestigious school which is awesome on a diploma. The local hospital is a 10 minute trip for volunteering/shadowing purposes. There are a bunch of clubs/activities and many ways to volunteer within the community for EC purposes. Social life is excellent, though recently the police have been hitting the bars heavily which is forcing everyone to go to the frats. But there are also good recreational activities on campus and the school is constantly upgrading the buildings.

I can't comment on Buffalo but I imagine it's pretty similar, possibly with the prestige attitude dropped. Go to whichever you really see yourself doing well at. It's more about you than the school.

Thank you all for your help :]
I'm going to revisit both schools one more time but I'm leaning more towards Bing =)

I graduated from Binghamton in 2007. When I was there there wasn't much support for pre-meds. You really had to work hard to find volunteer opportunities (clinically related), and the pre-med advisor is pretty mediocre and has turned a lot of students away from medicine. That may have changed now.

I would attend Buffalo since its associated with a hospital. Binghamton is a great school for other career paths (engineering, nursing, business, education).

Azide10 gave a pretty good description of the social scene at Bing. However, Buffalo has a good social scene as well (as I've heard).

I always laughed at the "Harvard of the SUNYs" thing that Binghamton likes to promote. It just never made sense to me.

Good luck to you with your decision!

Go to Bing. puchi is correct, bing is not great with pre-med advising and Buffalo does have a med school. Regardless, Bing impressed me more for undergraduate academics, which I believe counts for more.

What major were you leaning towards?

Binghamton facts

-Better weather than Buffalo
-Closer to NYC (hey most people are from NYC or Long Island at that school!)

Pre-med students
-Most students do not end up at their desired choice of medical school. The majority settle for a Caribbean or DO school (not that they are wrong choices, but you should be informed). Few make it into an MD allopathic and they are usually one of the four SUNYs. Even rarer, there will be a student or two each year that makes it into a highly ranked private MD allopathic school. They have sent students to HMS (twice!), Wash U, Sinai, NYU, Einstein etc, however these are all students with exceptional grades, MCAT and ones that took it upon themselves to not listen to or rely on the prehealth advisor- see below. Students are not super competitive, probably because they don't really know what's going on. No one rips pages of books or hides opportunities from others (but then again, probably because no one knows about those opportunities :laugh:).

Pre-health advising
-Terrible. The main goal of the pre-health advisor is to discourage you from pursuing the field until you're a second semester junior. At that time, he will have no choice but to agree to a few meetings so he can begrudgingly write you the pre-health letter. If you're smart, you will realize SDN is a much better source of information despite of the mini-spats that go on here.

General advising
-Sucks.

Advising for Biology majors
-Great. The professor that does it is incredible.

Courses
-It is not hard at all to maintain a 4.0 with these intro science courses. A biochemistry professor even admitted to dumbing down the questions over the years to accommodate the ever dropping curve. There are a few tough cookies every now and then, especially in intro and organic chemistry. The physics is absolutely horrendous and if you're lucky, you will place out with AP credit. The upper level science courses are much more difficult and satisfying, however. There are a number of amazing Biology and Chem professors. Plenty of art, language, anthro, english, math, philosophy, history etc courses for those that want it.

Campus/Housing
-Very much a college campus feel and small enough so that it is very walkable. Beautiful nature preserve for hiking or other "recreational" activities. Many different living options ranging from dorms, suites and apartments. Dining food sucks, like all college dining across the nation. I think freshman are not allowed or at least not guaranteed a parking spot so that can make life a bit difficult in the first year. Lots of cheap off campus housing if that's what you are into, the whole standard of living is tremendously low since Binghamton is part of the remnants of the previous IBM belt.

Student life
-"Late night Bing" is offered as an on-campus alternative to partying. Bars and clubs are basically within the same 2 block area so everyone goes to the same places. No official frat houses so those types of parties are scattered everywhere. Lots of people also hang out at the Walmart shopping area which includes - chinese buffet, movie theater, sams club and walmart of course! Super cheap cabs to go anywhere in the city of Binghamton. Sports here sucks and is not well attended.

PreHealth Opportunities
-local volunteering at Binghamton general, Lourdes or Wilson Hospital
-Harpur's Ferry Student Ambulance - one of the best in the nation. Super competitive to get into. Will pay for your EMT license.
-Harper College's Alumni mentoring program - pairs you up with a Bing alum who is now a doctor. Super competitive though. There is also a year long option.
-Pre-med and pre-health fraternities
-Lots of outreach to the community via schools, churches, and various organizations
-Early assurance program with SUNY Upstate

To address a few of the above:
-Can everyone FREAKING STOP saying "Harvard of the SUNYs." Goddamn Lois DeFleur perpetuated this and now everyone's doing it. If you have to say it's the Harvard of something, it's the Harvard of nothing!
-Binghamton has a looser association with SUNY Upstate if you are truly concerned with hospital association. Remember, 1/3 of the Upstate student body does their clinical years at Bing.

Members don't see this ad :)

nowai_qjpreviewth.jpg

To address a few of the above:
-Can everyone FREAKING STOP saying "Harvard of the SUNYs." Goddamn Lois DeFleur perpetuated this and now everyone's doing it. If you have to say it's the Harvard of something, it's the Harvard of nothing!

I'm afraid that's not a good enough reason for us to stop, bruh :idea:

If it counts for anything, at my SUNY upstate interview, pretty much everyone who was a NY resident was from Binghamton.

Pulp Fiction.

Another part of my preference for Bing, btw, is the size difference. If you like a huge uni, go to Buffalo.

Oh wow o.o this thread really got a ton more responses from yesterday.

Size is a pretty big consideration for me. I come from a pretty small high school and jumping into buffalo's huge class size might end up making it even more difficult to get research/ recognition from the professor.

@Superhiro
I'm pretty used to crappy advising already thanks to a super apathetic guidance counselor and guidance office in high school. SDN has a ton of resources that I'm sure the pre-health office at any school wouldn't be able to offer. So in terms of relying on them for much, it won't be too much of a concern.

Did anyone who attended bing use their ap credits or did some of you opt to still take the intro classes? I should have credit for bio and chem (assuming i do well on the chem ap in may) and a bunch of other ap classes.

And I would most likely either major in Biology or computer science although I've heard its a real pain transferring within schools.

How easy has it been for some of you to get research at either university?

Last edited:
Oh wow o.o this thread really got a ton more responses from yesterday.

Size is a pretty big consideration for me. I come from a pretty small high school and jumping into buffalo's huge class size might end up making it even more difficult to get research/ recognition from the professor.

@Superhiro
I'm pretty used to crappy advising already thanks to a super apathetic guidance counselor and guidance office in high school. SDN has a ton of resources that I'm sure the pre-health office at any school wouldn't be able to offer. So in terms of relying on them for much, it won't be too much of a concern.

Did anyone who attended bing use their ap credits or did some of you opt to still take the intro classes? I should have credit for bio and chem (assuming i do well on the chem ap in may) and a bunch of other ap classes.

And I would most likely either major in Biology or computer science although I've heard its a real pain transferring within schools.

How easy has it been for some of you to get research at either university?

Hey Bing isn't super small either. The intro courses have about 450 people in the lecture hall

Bing accepts almost all the AP credits. I believe for the sciences a 4 gets you a semester's credit and a 5 gives you a whole year of credit (a 3 gets you a nice pat on the head). However, on the transcript, they just show up as "College credit" and while you will absolutely be placed out, come application time, you will have to explain that fact. Just something for later.

It is not hard to get research experience at Bing. Anyone who shows interest (and there aren't very many) can basically join some sort of lab. Certain labs are more competitive than others however. If you start early enough, you can get a thesis out of it if you want. Otherwise you could easily just be a research assistant and learn research methods but not do anything substantial.

By the way, if you are set on becoming a biology major, maybe this website can give you some info - http://www2.binghamton.edu/biology/

Last edited:
Hey Bing isn't super small either. The intro courses have about 450 people in the lecture hall

Bing accepts almost all the AP credits. I believe for the sciences a 4 gets you a semester's credit and a 5 gives you a whole year of credit (a 3 gets you a nice pat on the head). However, on the transcript, they just show up as "College credit" and while you absolutely be placed out, come application time, you will have to explain that fact. Just a fact for later.

It is not hard to get research experience at Bing. Anyone who shows interest (and there aren't very many) can basically join some sort of lab. Certain labs are more competitive than others however. If you start early enough, you can get a thesis out of it if you want. Otherwise you could easily just be a research assistant and learn research methods but not do anything substantial.

450 sounds pretty decent compared to some of the schools I visited where there were 800-900 students in intro. (Buffalo certainly has this).

Ah! Research doesn't sound like too much of a problem then :)

So should I opt out of the classes or retake them? I don't really want problems when I'm applying to med school cause of Ap's haha

450 sounds pretty decent compared to some of the schools I visited where there were 800-900 students in intro. (Buffalo certainly has this).

So should I opt out of the classes or retake them? I don't really want problems when I'm applying to med school cause of Ap's haha

I personally say re-take. Because high-school =/= college. You'll be doing yourself a favor. Taking those intro courses aren't a punishment, bruh.

450? that's a lot. SUNY Plattsburgh doesn't have that much

Last edited:
I did chemistry research at UB through a SURF type program. When I was in my PI's lab there, there were a few UB undergraduates helping out as well. Many of the other labs had UB undergraduates over the summer, and one or two even had local high school students. So I think your chances of getting a research opportunity will be good at UB... but again, you've got the big class size to contend with.

Once you get above maybe 100 students, if that, you'll find that it doesn't really matter that much. Even if it were 4,500, it wouldn't be all that different from 450.

I personally say re-take. Because high-school =/= college. You'll be doing yourself a favor. Taking those intro courses aren't a punishment, bruh.

Only agree with this if you personally feel you are weak at sciences. Otherwise, the intro courses are really easy to review, especially if you're just going into the major anyway. I placed out of Intro bio, chem and physics and was able to use those 24 credits for other interesting but non-science courses.

I may want to retake chemistry even though there is the possibility that I will receive credit. Bio was fine though. Physics I'll have to take either way.

Both schools have given me a lot to consider. I'm still going to revisit both schools and make an educated decision.

Last edited:

The largest lecture hall at UB holds a max of 450 people. There are no classes with 800-900 students at once.

I am a Junior Biomedical Sciences student at UB.

From,
Abi

Only agree with this if you personally feel you are weak at sciences. Otherwise, the intro courses are really easy to review, especially if you're just going into the major anyway. I placed out of Intro bio, chem and physics and was able to use those 24 credits for other interesting but non-science courses.
I personally feel like I didn't learn anything in h.s. But hey, whatever floats the OP's boat he should go with 'cause it all comes down to what you're saying about "if you personally feel you are weak at sciences..." :cool:

The largest lecture hall at UB holds a max of 450 people. There are no classes with 800-900 students at once.

I am a Junior Biomedical Sciences student at UB.

From,
Abi

My mistake, I apologize for the false statement.
How would you say the biomedical sciences degree is? I tried to research it on the UB website but it didn't really give me much information.

My mistake, I apologize for the false statement.
How would you say the biomedical sciences degree is? I tried to research it on the UB website but it didn't really give me much information.

That is a very vague question, what information are you looking for?

If you mean difficulty:
It can be as hard or easy as you want it to be. The degree is structured so you take the classes you want to take.

From,
Abi

That is a very vague question, what information are you looking for?

If you mean difficulty:
It can be as hard or easy as you want it to be. The degree is structured so you take the classes you want to take.

From,
Abi

The website said there were only two courses for the major aside from pre-health requirements which confused me.

The website said there were only two courses for the major aside from pre-health requirements which confused me.

I have no idea where you read that. The following link will direct you to BMS major requirements. Link

Also, there is one error on the page. The minimum grade that you must get in your classes is not a "C", it was changed to a "B" some years ago. They just never got around to changing it I guess...

From,
Abi

I graduated from UB in June 2010 in Biomedical sciences. It's actually a really good school, and I enjoyed it a lot. Since it is a large school, there are always plenty of activities going on. My pre-med advisor was actually very good, when most people on SDN say they had a terrible advisor.

I was also in the Honors College, which is extremely nice to have for early registration. You will never be locked out of any class you ever want to take, which is awesome, considering how fast the med school pre-reqs fill up.

Basically, choose UB, you won't regret it.:)

SUNY Buffalo is my first choice for med school, and I'm currently on the wait list. Not sure if it helps that I'm from Buffalo and went to UB for undergrad, but I'm not rejected at the moment.:)

there are tons of research opportunities at buffalo, especially if you're in the honors college because you're expected to write a thesis. I got hooked up with a research my sophomore year through my adviser.

Go to whichever one you feel most comfortable at. Neither school will put you at an advantage over the other. They are both good schools. I graduated from Binghamton and went to grad school at UB, I also taught at UB, there isn't much of a difference.