SUNY Buffalo (Jacobs) vs. NEOMED

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

regina_phalange_

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am very fortunate to be in a position to pick, but would love some feedback if anyone has any input:

Buffalo
Pros

-more recognized program
-beautiful school
-better research experiences (unsure of specialty I want yet, but this could be good if I wanted to go to a more competitive specialty)
-urban
-SUNY system
-closer clerkship opportunities
-more traditional lecture based courses

Cons
-extremely cold and snowy
-didn't see the same student camaraderie (not to say it doesn't exist, but wasn't as prevalent as NEOMED)
-mostly professor made exams?

NEOMED
Pro

-seemed like student body is tighter knit
-NBME exams?

Cons
-rural location
-clerkships seemed to be pretty spread out
-older school buildings
-first two years don't seem like true P/F

About Equal
-NEOMED tuition is 20k higher but only for first year as OOS, both have equal IS tuition after first year
-both heavily matched into their state (NY, OH, respectively), but I am not sure I would want to match into those states
-diversity is perhaps slightly higher for NEOMED, but seemed about equal in both
-both have internal ranking
-I believe both are undergoing curriculum changes but Buffalo seems to be completely revamping it (may be a con)

Summary: I am having trouble with the student body tightness (I personally give it a lot of weight in my decision) in deciding school. Any input would be highly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Buffalo > NEOMED from what I can see. The cons for Buffalo are manageable and you can form study groups while NEOMED appear to be in an undesirable location for you, more expensive, and clerkships spread out all over.

Buffalo > NEOMED from what I can see. The cons for Buffalo are manageable and you can form study groups while NEOMED appear to be in an undesirable location for you, more expensive, and clerkships spread out all over.
This is really helpful, thank you!

Buffalo please! Great program for sure and your pros and cons list proves Buffalo > NEOMED

Reactions: 1 user