SUNY Downstate DPT: did anyone hear? Apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redmolly

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello - I am new to this board, but have been reading the posts for a few months now. Thank you for all your kindness and advice!

I am applying to DPT programs at Hunter, SUNY/Downstate and SUNY/Stony Brook. I've already had my interview at Hunter last week (it went great!) but I haven't heard a boo from SUNY/Downstate. They did cash my check on 12/2, so I'm assuming that my application was received intact.

In checking out the posts, I didn't notice much mention of SUNY/Downstate for DPT. Did anyone hear from them for an interview? Did anyone apply there? Am I missing something? :confused:

Oh - and yes, I just applied to Stony Brook via the PTCAS but I'm not expecting to hear from them until mid-January, if I'm lucky. (I got my BA from Stony Brook years ago, but word has it that they don't give alumni any special consideration...)

Thanks so much for any/all feedback!

molly

Members don't see this ad.

hey im applied to downstate as well, i havent heard anything from them either aside from me requiring to complete the psychology elective course in order to be accepted. i am planning to call them tomorrow to see what the deal is.

I got a letter from them stating that they had a problem with one of my transcripts, but when I called them, turns out that that transcript hadn't been posted to my application. So why send a letter out? Doesn't instill confidence if you know what I mean....best if you get someone on the phone there and find out. I'll give them a shout later in the week if I don't hear from them sooner. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
those people over there arent very friendly imo whenever i call them theyre pretty rude

Hey, I also got a letter from Downstate, stating that they are missing my final transcript and Phys II registration (next semester) . I agree with chunk2509, whenever I spoke to someone and asked for help I would hear attitude and laziness in their voice. But maybe its just me. Still its my first choice!

Curious - why is Downstate your first choice? Where else did you apply?

As for the rudeness factor, I agree. When I called Downstate a couple weeks ago re: the letter stating they didn't have one of my transcripts, they acted as if I was being a bother...then the woman looked into it and said that it hadn't been posted yet and that she would fix. I also hand-delivered my application the day before the deadline and the woman in the admissions office was one step above being rude. Compare that with the folks at Hunter, the sec'y there is helpful and knowledgeable, and it is clear that the dept trusts her to run the administrative end.

I noticed on one of Downstate's web pages that the application deadline is 12/1, but initially they had 11/16 posted. Seems to me that admissions is separate from the PT dept - and that admissions does not have their act together.

Hey So I joined this thread to see if anyone has advice they can offer. Any would help. Here's my situation.

I'm 23 years old, and graduated Hofstra U. with a Bachelors in Marketing then later decided to change into physical therapy. Since I was a business major I now need to take all the science pre-reqs. My GPA was a low 2.8 in undergrad since had no real interest so I realize that my sciences need to be high. I started taking pre-reqs at Touro College in NY and am nearly done with the fall semester. Im taking Bio II, Chem I, Physics I, and Pre-Calc right now and should have A's in all of them. The problem is my last final isn't until Jan 15th, 2010! I dont want to apply to schools before I get grades for at least these couple classes.

From the spring-Summer I, I still need A&P I and II, Physics II, Chem II and Statistics. After Spring, only A&P II will need to be done in Summer.

My GRE score is 480 Verbal, and 630 Math with 4.0 Writing.

Basically I'm looking for any information or direction on which schools to apply to given my situation. More importantly is When to apply. I want to get into sports related pt so maybe there are schools better suited for that?

Thanks to whoever can help...

BW
user_online.gif
progress.gif

Hey Redmolly, well Downstate is my first choice for couple of reasons. First I know they have a good program, with high graduation rate and job employment. Their program is very strong, competitive, and prestige, because it is one of not many schools in NY that is not private. Another reason is that Downstate is right next to my house( about 20 min drive). And last but definatelly not least is the cost of education. It comes out to about 60K per 3 years comparing with the rest of NY schools, where you would pay 120K and up. I applied to couple of other schools in NY, I dont want to travel out of state. Did not apply to Hunter of CSI, because of my friends suggested not to, right now I kind of regret about it, but its ok.

Hey there, PrePhysT -

Thanks for your feedback. My best friend's sister graduated from SUNY/Downstate nearly 20 years ago; she loved the program and recommended it very highly. Granted, that was 20 years ago!

Sounds like you and I have similar trajectories - I applied only to Hunter, SUNY/Downstate and SUNY/Stony Brook (where I went to undergrad) due to the cost factors and wishing to remain in-state. My top preferences are Hunter and Downstate since I, too, live in BK (Downstate is about 20 minutes driving for me and about 45 minutes via the bus/2/5 train) and really don't want to have to move. I would have done it though, if fate led me in that direction. Thankfully, I get to stay in NYC!

Good luck to getting into your first choice then! Hopefully, they'll start calling folks in for interviews soon - although if they haven't called yet, I cannot imagine them doing so much before the New Year - so it'll be a while. I guess they have plenty of applicants - they can afford to delay - despite this being sloppy and disrespectful to the folks who did apply.

Redmolly, I spoke to someone from admissions, and she said that I wont hear from them until January, so you are right, only after New Years. I wish best of luck to you, I recieved a rejection letter from NYMC today, so my chances of getting into grad school just got slimmer by one. :( But anyway, best of luck to you :thumbup:, and happy holidays. :)

Hi Redmolly, I'm going through my pre-app preparation right now. I was wondering if you made it into Hunter or Suny Downstate. If so, I was wondering what your states were and if there is any advice you can pass on to me for acceptance. Also if you are in, how did you first year go? Thanks!

Bweiss, I have went to many websites for schools offering DPT programs. Unfortunately, it seems none of these school will even consider someone w/ a GPA under 3.0. Best of luck either way.