SUNY Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
still haven't heard anything... i managed to barrel my way through the admin to someone who actually could do more than verify my mailing address. they told me the decision was mailed on the third. a full 12 weeks after my interview (dec. 1). not looking good!! i figure if it was good news, they would've told me over the phone.

Members don't see this ad.

lightnk102 said:
still haven't heard anything... i managed to barrel my way through the admin to someone who actually could do more than verify my mailing address. they told me the decision was mailed on the third. a full 12 weeks after my interview (dec. 1). not looking good!! i figure if it was good news, they would've told me over the phone.

good luck, lightnk102 :luck: I'm sure you'll hear positive news.

Who were you able to speak with? When I called on the telephone today, I was unable to speak with anyone besides the admissions secretary. By the way, do you (or anyone, for that matter) know the name of the Director of Admissions?? I've searched the internet thoroughly and called, but I tend ot receive different answers :confused:

docjolly said:
good luck, lightnk102 :luck: I'm sure you'll hear positive news.

Who were you able to speak with? When I called on the telephone today, I was unable to speak with anyone besides the admissions secretary. By the way, do you (or anyone, for that matter) know the name of the Director of Admissions?? I've searched the internet thoroughly and called, but I tend ot receive different answers :confused:

i didn't get the name of the person i spoke to. i told the admissions secretary i've been waiting for 3 months, and that it's well over the 10-week estimate. she forwarded me to someone else who asked for my social security number. i don't remember the name of the director, but i do remember that the assistant director was a white male with a goatee (he spoke to us). sorry i couldn't offer more info!

Members don't see this ad :)
lightnk102 said:
i didn't get the name of the person i spoke to. i told the admissions secretary i've been waiting for 3 months, and that it's well over the 10-week estimate. she forwarded me to someone else who asked for my social security number. i don't remember the name of the director, but i do remember that the assistant director was a white male with a goatee (he spoke to us). sorry i couldn't offer more info!

The white gentleman with the goatee, I believe, is John Falls. He is a member of the admissions committee, and I met him when I interviewed at Downstate :D

Three months and 6 days post-interview... I'm in!

I gave up my NY residency this year too! Gah.

lightnk102 said:

Wohoooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!! :hardy: :hardy: :hardy: :hardy:

Congratulations, lightnk102!!!! That's awesome. So I take it, you'll be going to Downstate???

lightnk102 said:

I tihnk they'll give it back to you before matriculation. I'd get on the phone with FinAid ASAP. Because they take into account if you graduated from HS in New York and if your parents still live there. So even though you may have not been a NYS resident this year, you might not be obliged to pay out-of-state tuition your first year since you grew up there.

does anyone know when Downstate meets for review of applications? Does everyone accepted get the email? I interviewed on jan 26 and havent heard, but I'm assuming I'll hear soon since people who interviewed on the 15th have heard alrdy.

Didnt they say not to call them? Hmm...maybe I should too. Also, anyone know if they encourage or discourage additional material (update letters)????? :sleep:

PJ1120 said:
Didnt they say not to call them? Hmm...maybe I should too. Also, anyone know if they encourage or discourage additional material (update letters)????? :sleep:

i know they often request updates, especially recent grades/transcripts. in my case, shortly after i sent in my fall grades (which they requested), i received an interview invitation. so, i dunno if they encourage updates, but i highly doubt they discourage them. based on my experience, i'd think it could only help if you sent them something. best of luck. maybe i'll hear back from them by summer at this rate! :laugh:

boyz of 4d said:
does anyone know when Downstate meets for review of applications? Does everyone accepted get the email? I interviewed on jan 26 and havent heard, but I'm assuming I'll hear soon since people who interviewed on the 15th have heard alrdy.

I interviewed on the 13th and it's already been six weeks since my interview. I am actually an applicant from Texas. I don't really know what are my odds of getting in as an out of state applicant. Has any out of state applicant been accepted already? :confused: Are they taking more time with out of state applicants?

Texas Tech University School of Medicine class 2009
SUNY--Maybe

docjolly said:
Wohoooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!! :hardy: :hardy: :hardy: :hardy:

Congratulations, lightnk102!!!! That's awesome. So I take it, you'll be going to Downstate???

Thanks! :)

I'm not sure if I'll be going to Downstate. They sure are on the ball when it comes to financial aid though. I got an email today harassing me about why my financial aid form hasn't been received yet, and asking me to withdraw my application if I've decided not to attend. Good God, I just received the acceptance envelope 24 hours ago. :laugh:

lightnk102 said:
Thanks! :)

I'm not sure if I'll be going to Downstate. They sure are on the ball when it comes to financial aid though. I got an email today harassing me about why my financial aid form hasn't been received yet, and asking me to withdraw my application if I've decided not to attend. Good God, I just received the acceptance envelope 24 hours ago. :laugh:

:eek: :laugh: :laugh: I guess they're not wasting any time :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
OK, i've done a search as Flash said to do within this forum but some people have stated it's a category in which you can be accepted from instead of being put on a waitlist. Others have said it can go to waitlist or rejection.

Anyone have actual confirmation it's the former rather than the latter? :confused:

i thought that the hold is the same thing as the waitlist at this point. don't they break the hold list down to regular and high priority in april and then start the selection from there? it seems that usually most if not all of the people on the high priority hold list end up being accepted during the spring/summer. i read a bunch of the old threads and that is what i gathered.

jclarke said:
OK, i've done a search as Flash said to do within this forum but some people have stated it's a category in which you can be accepted from instead of being put on a waitlist. Others have said it can go to waitlist or rejection.

Anyone have actual confirmation it's the former rather than the latter? :confused:

Yeah, just got the "hold" letter today too. Am out of state, so am wondering if this is a common practice? I really liked the school, so am disappointed... :(

I wasn't sure because some people seem to have been put on waitlist already. So how can there be two waitlists? I'm hoping it's what you're saying though!! Crossing fingers that HOLD = HIGH PRIORITY!!!

medstylee said:
i thought that the hold is the same thing as the waitlist at this point. don't they break the hold list down to regular and high priority in april and then start the selection from there? it seems that usually most if not all of the people on the high priority hold list end up being accepted during the spring/summer. i read a bunch of the old threads and that is what i gathered.

jclarke said:
I wasn't sure because some people seem to have been put on waitlist already. So how can there be two waitlists? I'm hoping it's what you're saying though!! Crossing fingers that HOLD = HIGH PRIORITY!!!

Here's the truth folks.

The people on HOLD will eventually be asked if they want to be placed on the waitlist. Of those waitlisted from HOLD, some will be accepted very quickly (within days), some will be accepted after many weeks of waiting, and others will never be accepted.

Although the HOLD letter may make it seem like you will be re-evaluated at a later point, I think it is just semantics as I haven't heard of anyone getting accepted straight from the hold.

YEa Hold category blows...I've been on it since November....waiting and waiting.......

anyone who interviewed around jan 26 hear back yet?

Does anyone know when the comitte meets and do they email you with the results?

steroplasma said:
Does anyone know when the comitte meets and do they email you with the results?

The committee meets every tuesday evening, at 8pm. During that interview, your interviewers will be present, and will discuss your interview in front of the committee. Your application is then reviewed, and a vote is taken. (I asked, in detail, everything concerning this, when I interviewed at Downstate in January)...

They stated that it typically takes 6-8 weeks to receive a decision. I believe the decision is sent via email (check back to lightnk's previous posts).

Stereo, when did you interview??

I interviewed on jan 26, My interviewer had emailed me back and told me he gave me full points on my interview, do you know how much the interview actually weighs in to the overall acceptance chances?

docjolly said:
They stated that it typically takes 6-8 weeks to receive a decision. I believe the decision is sent via email (check back to lightnk's previous posts).

Stereo, when did you interview??

actually, the decision came via snail mail. they wouldn't even tell me my status on the phone when i called. and i received my decision on March 8th. I interviewed on December 1st, so the 6-8 week estimate is highly flexible.

medstylee said:
well, they might be able to make decisions quicker these days because it seems like they're wrapping things up in terms of interviews. i was there very recently and there were only two other interviewees there that day. also, my tour guide told us that he interviewed around this time last year and heard within a month about his acceptance. i have no idea if they were less backed up last year, but maybe things will speed up now.

on a different subject, did anyone else feel like the interview was very impersonal? maybe it was just my particular interviewer, but i felt that the combination of this person's stone-cold demeanor and the list of questions from admissions prevented me from presenting myself any differently than the way i appear on my application. i don't want to call the day a waste of time because i learned a ton during the visit and i really developed a liking for the school, but i just feel like the admissions committee won't really gain much extra insight about me from my interview. ughh - frustrating and unsettling! (what's new) best of luck.

WHO did you interview with? I HATED my interviewer...was impersonal, cut me off every time I tried to answer a question AND took two five minute phone calls during my interview. I felt like a total imposition...

ead said:
WHO did you interview with? I HATED my interviewer...was impersonal, cut me off every time I tried to answer a question AND took two five minute phone calls during my interview. I felt like a total imposition...

oh boy... i'll PM you about it.

lightnk102 said:
actually, the decision came via snail mail. they wouldn't even tell me my status on the phone when i called. and i received my decision on March 8th. I interviewed on December 1st, so the 6-8 week estimate is highly flexible.

Oops, sorry about the error :oops:

Congrats to those who are accepted to Downstate!! I interviewed in mid February, and Downstate is my first choice, although I'll go elsewhere if I have to. Does anyone know if, given how late the interview was, whether I was prob. just interviewing for a WL spot? My interview went really well, I think. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!

Thanks,

BH

Bunsen Honeydew said:
Congrats to those who are accepted to Downstate!! I interviewed in mid February, and Downstate is my first choice, although I'll go elsewhere if I have to. Does anyone know if, given how late the interview was, whether I was prob. just interviewing for a WL spot? My interview went really well, I think. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!

Thanks,

BH

i interviewed in late february and, although i didn't ask my interviewer about that, someone who had interviewed earlier asked his interviewer and that person said they hadn't heard anything about only waitlist spots left. so, i think there's still hope. you clearly did not have the same interviewer as me and ead. lucky you!

Hey I interviewed 1/13 and got an acceptance just a couple weeks ago, so I'd wouldn't worry bout it if you interviewed later. I'll prolly withdraw, so good luck all :)

Anyone who interviewed aroudn the 26th hear yet

<<i interviewed in late february and, although i didn't ask my interviewer about that, someone who had interviewed earlier asked his interviewer and that person said they hadn't heard anything about only waitlist spots left. so, i think there's still hope. you clearly did not have the same interviewer as me and ead. lucky you!>>

Thanks for the info guys.

Medstylee:

Sorry you (and ead) had bad interviews. Sounds like that happens more than you'd want it to at Downstate (as per the feedback page). I was lucky and my interviewer was a really laid-back, nice PhD, who knows a ton about the curriculum, programs, etc. I know several people who went there, and the school seems just perfect for me. Now, they just need to reciprocate!! I'm hopeful that we weren't just interviewing for WL spots in Feb. I guess the fact that most schools are supposed to have accepted their entire class already (or some multiple thereof) makes me nervous about my chances.

Hang in there & good luck!

BH

Hi all, just checking in..Has anyone received any further news, as of yet??

after much thought, i declined today to open up a spot for someone who's more deserving (and loves the school) more than i do. I stuck the stamp on it, and its in the mail.

best of luck guys!

lightnk102 said:
after much thought, i declined today to open up a spot for someone who's more deserving (and loves the school) more than i do. I stuck the stamp on it, and its in the mail.

best of luck guys!

:wow:

That's very honest of you, lightnk102. Where will you be going for med. school? Wherever you go, I sincerely wish you all the best :love:

(by the way, just out of curiosity, what exactly did you stamp and send in the mail? was there an area to decline your acceptance on your original acceptance letter? :confused: )

docjolly said:
:wow:

That's very honest of you, lightnk102. Where will you be going for med. school? Wherever you go, I sincerely wish you all the best :love:

(by the way, just out of curiosity, what exactly did you stamp and send in the mail? was there an area to decline your acceptance on your original acceptance letter? :confused: )

They have two options: accept and decline. you check off one of them and then put it in the mail with your deposit fee if applicable. Since I gave up my NY residency when I filed taxes a month ago (worked in NYC for a while before going to grad school in Boston this past year. parents don't live there either. didn't maintain a domicile in NY to avoid paying double rent), the cost savings in tuition wasn't going to be applicable to me anymore.

thanks for the well wishes docjolly. i've narrowed it down to BU and Jefferson, and financial aid will lead the rest of the way.

Thanks Lightnk! Sorry you wont' be going, but hope it trickles down to one of us soon. Good luck to you at BU or Jefferson!!!

BH

hi all, any new updates?

I sent an email to the admissions committee, asking when I should expect to hear an answer...However, they haven't responded :( God's timing is perfect in all things....God's timing is perfect in all things :)

I interviewed on jan 26, and have no word, altho I havent been able to chekc my school mailbox cuz ive been on SB

docjolly said:
hi all, any new updates?

I sent an email to the admissions committee, asking when I should expect to hear an answer...However, they haven't responded :( God's timing is perfect in all things....God's timing is perfect in all things :)

Hey all - like many of you i'm in the "hold" category . i interviewed dec. 23, received a hold letter by mail about 2 weeks ago so i guess i just gotta keep the faith! Just came back from D.C. - interviewed at Howard - really enjoyed it...anyone else interview there??? any thoughts?

Wishing you all the best of luck in this loooooong process!!

Hi all,

Still no word from Downstate. I was hoping to receive something today, but I suppose that time is not now. Have a wonderful afternoon, everyone :)

Came back from spring break to find a hold letter. I'm a little bit surprised since my interviewer told me he gave me full points on my interview. Guess interview isnt waited that much there.

can anyone tell me when downstate's second look weekend is, and also dates of any possible events prior to orientation?

thanks

still no word...oh well :) I'll be patient..

bonez, i'm not sure of the dates right now...let me do a search on their website :thumbup:

bonez318ti said:
can anyone tell me when downstate's second look weekend is, and also dates of any possible events prior to orientation?

thanks

Okay, so I just telephoned the Admissions Office and spoke to Ms. Levine. According to her, there is no second look weekend at Downstate. There is a time period in April, however, when students are asked to come and sit in on classes. However, according to her, this specific time/date is individualized for each student.

I hope this helps!

Docjolly:

Thanks for the info. Were you told when you should hear from them? I interviewed second week of Feb. and am getting anxious!!!

Good luck,

BH

Ms. Levine confirmed for me that it will take around 8-10 weeks post-interview to hear about a decision.

I saw that someone was wondering about the importance of the interview - I'm starting to wonder the same thing. I feel like I've spoken to so many people who thought that their interview went badly, and then I see some people saying how well their interviews went and the positive comments their interviewers gave to them. It seems like there's no in between. I don't get it.

Anyway, good luck everyone.