This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jericho91

jen
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy lady and gents

I have not been on this forum in a few weeks (finally had some stuff to contribute recently). I am a Cali resident but I have been invited to interviews in 3 SUNY Schools (Upstate, Stony Brook, Downstate). I want to attend at least 2 in 1 trip but let's see how scheduling works out.

I am wondering how each of these campuses differ. The rankings are different but the match list and USMLE scores seem identical for these schools. How do I choose which campus to interview at?

Anyone who has visited some or all of the 3, please help me out! Thanx a bunch kiddos!

Members don't see this ad.

Really depends on what you want. Downstate and SBU would be the easiest pair to do, but are also in the highest cost of living areas. SBU has the best research, but worst location imo. Downstate has the most interesting patient pop, imo. Upstate is the cheapest, which is most important, imo

I'd interview at Stony or Downstate. They seem to have a better rep than the other.

Members don't see this ad :)
Really depends on what you want. Downstate and SBU would be the easiest pair to do, but are also in the highest cost of living areas. SBU has the best research, but worst location imo. Downstate has the most interesting patient pop, imo. Upstate is the cheapest, which is most important, imo

As much as Long Island pales in comparison to NYC, I would definitely not call it the worst location if upstate NY is in the running. At only 1.5 hours away, NYC is definitely a weekend getaway. Hell, we would go there fairly often.

Reactions: 2 users

You have an excellent point. I think location is important but in regards to diversity and proximal clinical opportunities which all these schools seem to have in excess! I definitely think Upstate might be my choice now given it's super cheap cost of living. Thank you for your input

Reactions: 1 user
You have an excellent point. I think location is important but in regards to diversity and proximal clinical opportunities which all these schools seem to have in excess! I definitely think Upstate might be my choice now given it's super cheap cost of living. Thank you for your input
And megabus goes from NYC to Syracuse. ~6hr bus and cheapest way to go from SBU/Downstate to Upstate.

And if you are really lucky, you could schedule SBU Friday, Downstate Monday, and Upstate Wednesday and easily go from one interview to the next

They're SUNYs. There is no prestige difference among any of them. Go to the one in the area you would want to live in.

They're SUNYs. There is no prestige difference among any of them. Go to the one in the area you would want to live in.

except OP didn't ask about prestige? sounds like OP was interested in people's experiences visiting/attending

@Jericho91
everyone's discussed location pro/cons, but what sort of environment are you looking for? more academic/research funding? more emphasis on primary care or rural health? want exposure to an urban population? are you interested in any dual degree programs (MA, MPH, MBA)? i was fortunate enough to interview at all three, feel free to PM!

This is simple:

SB: great area out in the 'burbs, and only ~an hour from NYC by LIRR.

Downstate: In Brooklyn!

Upstate: In Siberia

Howdy lady and gents

I have not been on this forum in a few weeks (finally had some stuff to contribute recently). I am a Cali resident but I have been invited to interviews in 3 SUNY Schools (Upstate, Stony Brook, Downstate). I want to attend at least 2 in 1 trip but let's see how scheduling works out.

I am wondering how each of these campuses differ. The rankings are different but the match list and USMLE scores seem identical for these schools. How do I choose which campus to interview at?

Anyone who has visited some or all of the 3, please help me out! Thanx a bunch kiddos!

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
This is simple:

SB: great area out in the 'burbs, and only ~an hour from NYC by LIRR.

Downstate: In Brooklyn!

Given these and other posts, I have a feeling goro doesn't do well in the cold ;)

Reactions: 4 users
If you have the money go to one of the downstate schools. Syracuse is a wasteland, the only people who enjoy that city are those who grew up there (and are thus immune to frostbite) and those who go/went to undergrad there. I grew up in upstate New York for ~20 years and I strongly encourage you to not choose Upstate unless your wallet is your #1 priority.

You are from California. There will be many days when you will face untold horrors on your walk back from class, and unless you find a tauntaun to curl up in you will surely die.

Reactions: 1 user
You are from California. There will be many days when you will face untold horrors on your walk back from class, and unless you find a tauntaun to curl up in you will surely die.

It only got down to 20 below twice this year! Seriously, though, if you are okay with a little cold and aren't a big city person, Upstate is pretty nice. It is obviously no top tier academic institution, but all levels of research are available and can be done in collaboration with groups at Syracuse U and SUNY ESF. There is an MPH option with SU as well. As far as in house residencies, all the basic ones are here and research can be done in any number of specialty areas. I can't compare to the other SUNY schools except Buffalo, which wasn't on your list, but I've enjoyed my time here a lot.

Reactions: 2 users
real-life feedback.
I actually feel like Downstate and Upstate have similar reputations and SBU has the best reputation. Downstate might have more name recognition because it is in Brooklyn, but neither one is known for being better than the other.

In terms of layperson rep, all New Yorkers know SBU. I had never heard of Downstate or Upstate before researching med schools. Most people only know of those two SUNYs if they live near them or know someone who went there.

Thank you so much for the feedback everyone! and Goro that made me laugh out loud! After long thinking I have decided to interview at SB and Upstate. Flying into Syr and taking bus to Nassau County then flying out of Queens.

I really appreciate all your feedback and I will keep you all posted!

born and raised in brooklyn and know a few people who are and have been in Downstate's program. They've mentioned to me that the school is decent but some of the grading policies for some classes are bit more subjective than most are used to. Also, Downstate's hospital doesn't have a good reputation and is poorly run financially. This will of course be more important as you progress to clinicals and if you stay for residency.

I'm not familiar with stony brook's program but i've worked on one of the hospitals clinical units for over a year and can tell you that it is very well run. Despite the location you still see a good bit of diversity, more so in complications, not so much people.

hope that helps

Idk much about Upstate, but not an area that most people want to go to.

I live in NYC and Downstate is in/on the border of what most people would consider to be a shady neighborhood. Wouldn't want to be out in the night, but students there claim that it is very safe and nothing has happened to them before. Apparently their campus security also has a service that gives you a ride within a 1 mile radius, so you can get to the subway with ease. Downstate by far would give you the most clinical experiences because of their patient population and the area it is located in. Students seem happy and I didn't hear anything negative about their curriculum. *Disclaimer: Yes I'm a bit salty about Downstate because I personally had terrible experiences with them, but it's still a great program!* Their admissions office is quite unorganized and facilities are pretty old.

Stony Brook has received a large amount of funding in the last few years and has very strong research. However, I have heard from accepted and current students complain about the student live. From the people I've spoken to, (~n=5) they weren't too happy. I've been to the campus and there is literally nothing around the area. You are almost required to have a car if you attend here. The curriculum seems strong, but small patient population. The good thing is, you will be very close to NYC and the more populated areas of Long Island.

They're all pretty great, state-run medical schools. You'd get a great education at any of them. I think ranking them doesn't really make sense. Of course comparing a top-tier Ivy League with a lower-tier brand-new school makes sense, but between SUNYs, they're all very solid state medical schools. I wouldn't rank them.

I interviewed at SUNY Upstate, and I can speak that it's like a standard medical school, it's associated with a big university tertiary hospital. It is in Syracuse which is like a small baby city. It snows a lot. Besides those things, it's like all the other medical schools in America and in NY.

Stony and Downstate would be easy to knock out with 1 flight to NYC. Upstate is not close to them.