SUNY Stony Brook Program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LivingLife4me

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any information on the SUNY Stony Brook Post Bacc program? From what I understand you basically take classes on your own more informally then other formal programs. Has anyone been through the program and if so can you give me a birds eye view of it? How the classes, other students, and their acceptance rates to medical schools? (their website for this has very little information)

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

LivingLife4me said:
Does anyone have any information on the SUNY Stony Brook Post Bacc program? From what I understand you basically take classes on your own more informally then other formal programs. Has anyone been through the program and if so can you give me a birds eye view of it? How the classes, other students, and their acceptance rates to medical schools? (their website for this has very little information)

Thanks,

i go to SUNY stonybrook as a regular undergrad.. i think their post bac is only for those who have little to no sciences.. i dont think its for science enrichment people because i went to my pre-med advisor and he told me to apply to umdnj or georgetown to boost my grades...

as for stony classes premed req classes.. i think their okay. general chem 1 is pretty easy w. prof. lauer gen chem 2 is ehhh but that depends on who ur professor is... you should be fine in these classes if you are committed.. its full of pre-med frosh who get weeded out.. the class curve specially for gen chem 1 is sick, take advantage... i remember getting a 74, 68, 86 and an 80 on the final and i came out with an A-

bio 1/ 2 aren't bad except they like to schedule those classes really early in the morning 8:30am.. the labs are in the center for mollecular medicine which is a good walk from where all the other classes are..

orgo 1 and 2 are tough.. i suggest taking these classes over the summer.. the course load is taught faster but the tests are more like the HW problems soo you get more practice.. getting TA help in the chem department is tough because more than half the TAs dont really speak good english.

physics all depends on who you get as a teacher.. if you happen to get engelmann he uses these remotes to click in answers for quizzes and tests.. there is no textbook for his class but a CD where he spoon feeds you the info video style.. i didnt do to well in that class because the way it was taught was just too new to me.. for physics i prefer prof. hemming.. he cares a lot about his students and takes a lot of his free time on the weekends just to hold review sessions.. from what i hear his tests are very fair

goodluck to you fellow premed. PM me for any questions