SUNY Upstate thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
kingcer0x said:
number whoring = accepting people with high numbers to boost rep/ranking

this has been part of Upstate's initiative starting in 2000. Thus, the people holding acceptances right now, probably have better numbers than those in the past.

Compared to last year, you will see less movement this year based on the theory that more of the higher numbered applicants will keep their acceptance rather than jump ship if they:

1) feel they are not alone
2) feel like they are getting a good deal money wise
3) think they can somehow stand the syracuse winter

I don't know about that, look up the school (on the website below), where is says select school. Many people decided not to go to Upstate because of multiple acceptances or they are on a waitlist to their first or second choice.

What do you think????

http://www.mdapplicants.com

Members don't see this ad.

i'm only speaking for the past few years and after reading an internal document i found on the net describing the 'initiative'. mdapplicants is a smaller sample size but you can also see that alot more people (esp. out of state applicants) are applying to upstate now.

You still have a good shot for the reason that you stated. I am thinking that it just might take a little longer this year than it has in the past off the HP list.

Note: I am in no way shape or form affiliated to SUNY Upstate nor am i on the waitlist. I am originally from the 'cuse area so I hear rumblings from people who work/go to school there.

Your feedback is always welcome and Thanks. I'm on the HPL but it seems as if they are only focusing on my number (MCAT), I have taken neuroscience (undergraduate and MD/PhD level course), Biochemistry 1 and 2, and my work experience will help me with the anatomy.

I spoke to someone in admissions, she said that I am right on the cusp.

I am waiting anxiously, any more tidbits you can provide

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know they are sounding really negative.

I checked threads from last year that dealt with high priority lists and people waiting on them, and it seems that despite telling everyone that there is "very slow" and "kinda slow" and "unpredictable" movement, they did accept a good chunk, and continued to accept all the way into mid August. I think it's just a little too early to discard a "HIGH PRIORITY" waitlist considering there is all that time left.

On another note, those who are on the HP list and waiting, would you mind posting your stats? I have a 29 MCAT (after several tries) and a 3.6 GPA.

Those who have been accepted via phone call, please post the time of day that they called.

Also, anyone know how many people are on this list?

Upstate will be my first choice for this application cycle (2005). Can those of you accepted/waitlisted post your stats?

I would appreciate having an idea of what my chances are...

im on the HPA list with a 36 MCAT and 3.8 GPA, so if they are in fact "number-whoring" this year- i guess they just really hate me as a person.... oh well, i dont think i could live in syracuse for 4 years anyway...

Hey I think I know that guy who is doing the movie, he seems like a cool guy, I cant wait to meet him in person! I heard he does a mean impersonation of Enrique Iglesias :love: ! He would definelty be a great guy to live with next year, just keep wooden chairs away from him! :scared:

Everyone has been really quiet recently. Has no one received any new info from the admission office. Acceptances, tidbits of knowledge, anything?

I know this silence is deafing. I have not hear anything, but I am still hoping. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know the chances of being accepted to Upstate from out-of-state. I was looking over the stats and they do not accept many out of staters (as compared to in state). Any thoughts?

Best of luck to those in waiting!

She stated that the HPWL is moving very slow and that it is unlikely that i will get in this year. I am so bummed :scared:

nuttyp3 said:
Anyone know the chances of being accepted to Upstate from out-of-state. I was looking over the stats and they do not accept many out of staters (as compared to in state). Any thoughts?

Just my story: I was interviewed in early September and accepted October 16th. I am from Michigan, with a 32 MCAT and a 3.6 GPA.

I'm sorry tjackson :( I am in the early stages of the application process and I intend on applying to all of the SUNY schools. Can anyone share what their impression of SUNY Upstate were when they interviewed? If not, it's cool I'm off too search as well.

nuttyp3 said:

I heard they accept about 95% instate. A lot of the out of state are from CA and I believe out of state numbers have to be pretty good. Good Luck.

Some SUNY schools no longer show preference in-state: Upstate included.

I interviewed in the Graybar building (offsite) on January 2nd. The people at Upstate (admissions and student affairs) are really wonderful and supportive, I guess that is why i am so Bummed to say the least.

Upstate and Downstate don't show preference any more, the disparity between in-state vs. out of state is just due to the applicant pool...

Buffalo still does show preference but the out of state numbers are still there...

Stony Brook very rarely takes any out of staters who aren't MD - PhD.

Mr. Pataki and his staff will most likely enact more changes throughout the SUNY system as my ex-home state's finances are still hurting.

stinkycheese said:
Some SUNY schools no longer show preference in-state: Upstate included.
I never knew this. So it will be even harder for me to get into a state school :(

Just wanted to pass along some info. It appears that the HPA list is basically stagnant right now, according to the director of admissions. I don't know if it's the "number whoring" that's been mentioned before or if people are just holding on to those acceptances till the last minute. So I guess we're just going to wait this one out.......try and keep your sanity.

Guys-

Is Jennifer Welch the "typical" in Admissions Directors, or is she way ahead of what I'll see elsewhere? She seems so kind and (I think) honest.

dc

Has anyone heard anything recently from Upstate? It's been mighty quiet for a long while. Maybe this is the calm before the storm and we're in for a burst of waitlist offers!!!

I hope thats true. I don't believe that the list is entirely stagnant. Other schools are supposedly showing movement and it would only be logical that some of that movement would rub onto people who are already accepted at Upstate, or are waitlisted and would withdraw after getting pulled off another waitlist.

NubianPrincess said:
I'm sorry tjackson :( I am in the early stages of the application process and I intend on applying to all of the SUNY schools. Can anyone share what their impression of SUNY Upstate were when they interviewed? If not, it's cool I'm off too search as well.

my impression from the interview day was 2fold.

1. some REALLY nice pple there. the staff and docs i met there were really amazing pple, or so it seemed.

2. the city of cuse is a real dump. i HATED it. if it was just me, i could probably get past that, knowing how busy i'd be, but i'm married and knew my wife would hate it too.

I didn't love Syracuse when I was there, either (I also interviewed at Wayne State in Detroit...), but I really liked the program and the people. I was also interested in the Binghamton clinical years, so even though my hubby and I would have to move, SUNY Upstate was my second choice.
Also, the rural program was pretty cool--if you're interested in rural medicine, it sounded like a great opportunity to do a TON as a med student.

Xandie said:
I didn't love Syracuse when I was there, either (I also interviewed at Wayne State in Detroit...), but I really liked the program and the people. I was also interested in the Binghamton clinical years, so even though my hubby and I would have to move, SUNY Upstate was my second choice.
Also, the rural program was pretty cool--if you're interested in rural medicine, it sounded like a great opportunity to do a TON as a med student.

i agree w/ you. just an fyi for anyone reading this, binghamton makes cuse look like east hampton.

Waiting.......waiting............waiting.................

Mr. Rosewater said:

1. some REALLY nice pple there. the staff and docs i met there were really amazing pple, or so it seemed.

2. the city of cuse is a real dump. i HATED it. if it was just me, i could probably get past that, knowing how busy i'd be, but i'm married and knew my wife would hate it too.

Oh cmon, its not that bad. I lived in the syracuse area for 7 years before going to college in boston. Trust me, you can do alot worse as far as places to live in the US go. If you don't like the urban decay in the city, move to liverpool, or clay, or any of the southern suburbs. The northside of the city isnt all that bad, with the Carousel mall and future development in the corridor (read: Destiny USA). The south side isnt the best place to be at night, granted. Lots of nice golf courses within a 30 min. drive. Decent nightlife.

Mr. Rosewater said:

Are you kidding? Don't be hatin' on my hometown. You should check out Armory Square and Hanover Square for the nightlife, and some really nice outdoor patio dining. Go to the Dinosaur BBQ for some GREAT ribs. And for getaways, try Skaneateles Lake or (in the winter) skiing at nearby Song, Lab and Tog.

Just thought I'd put my 2 cents in. I am a 2nd year student. I will be leaving tommorow for 6 weeks, but was bored today so thought i'd check this website (have not viewed it in many months).

This perspective is coming from someone from a metropolitan area. I think syracuse as a city is ok compared to most cities. Its college area is really lacking there are like 4 restaurants all pita places or pizza. Anything you really need you can find some place around syracuse. If you don't like walking its the place for you. When I first came to upstate I figured you can walk around, but you really can't. EVERYTHING is closed on saturdays and sundays downtown. And there are a lot of incidents regarding the decrepit area interacting with student areas (people shouting at females, or throwing stuff at cars off their balconies at madison apt building). But all in all its a lot better than many other cities.

As for the school, the hospital is extremely run down and doesn't even have AC in many areas.

On the plus side, some of the faculty are really dedicated and very nice notably the gross anatomy, microscopic anatomy, and neuroanatomy courses had good instructors. Everyone will tell you how much POM class sucks, and it really does its a complete waste of time very often.

Jessica Welch is really great, she will keep you informed if you call her and is very nice. Also the library is relatively new and is a nice place, sometimes i feel it has too sterile of a feeling though, but you can use the Syracuse's campus library.

I imagine the students are relatively typical of most medical schools. There are some nice people and a lot of rude and obnoxious jerks. Just have to find a few friends.

As for living arrangments I would suggest avoiding Clark Tower. It really sucks especially if you have to share a single room and get stuck with someone you don't like. You will be much happier living in Jefferson Tower or Madison Tower especially if your rotation years are in syracuse (don't have to move). But one good thing about clark is its next door to the really crappy gym the campus has. On the plus side there is a woman that works there that is really nice.

Any other questions feel free to ask I'll probably check back later tonight. I am not sure if i'll have access to the internet for the next month or so as I am taking a nice vacation...

The thing i hate most about syracuse is the large amount of construction going on right near the hospital, makes everything look decrepit. Many students don't bother going to classes so the professors really don't matter that much.

I'm glad to see some people defending the 'Cuse. I've lived and worked here for the past few years and it's not a bad place. As has been mentioned, there's definitely some ghetto around town, but what city doesn't have some. The faculty at Upstate are pretty good and they're doing some serious renovations arround University hospital and Weiskotten Hall (the major academic and research building). Upstate is in the process of some expanding and by the time everything is done, the hospital is going to be top notch in some areas. And Jennifer Welch is a wonderful and considerate admissions director, just hope she's got a spot for me in this years class. Geldrop, I've partied with a bunch of 2nd years from Upstate, wonder if our paths have ever crossed???

Hey, what about the High Priority Alternate List.

How's the movement on that ??

I remember last year MANY people did not get in off the HP wait list... If you are paranoid give the office a call and schedule a phone meeting with welch and try to find out where you stand...

Does anyone know how many people are actually on the High priority List? I would have assumed that since the past two years have seen applicants not make it off the HPA they would subsequently reduce the number of HPA positions this year.

I know it's a tough choice and I'm not trying to sound like an ass, but try and make your decision as quick as possible. As you can see many of us would either like to be your classmate for next year or in your spot in the class. What are the other schools you're choosing between, if you don't mind me asking. Oh and Beastmaster, the waitlist we've been talking about (or at least I have) is the high priority alternatet. If you're on the second, regular waitlist, I think your chances are pretty much 0.

the other school is suny buffalo.

DrKram20 said:
Oh and Beastmaster, the waitlist we've been talking about (or at least I have) is the high priority alternatet. If you're on the second, regular waitlist, I think your chances are pretty much 0.

No, I'm on the High Priority. That's why I'm so attentive to this thread.

It's great to see that people are being offered spots and there is some movement.

Yeah, it's definitely refreshing to see that there is some actual, real-life movement on the HPA. I wonder why Upstate won't tell you your number, or at least where you are on the list, as opposed to UB, which apparently gives out that info? :confused:

I called upstate yesterday to do a little poking and proding. I was told that a couple of places opened up yesterday and phone calls will be made shortly. I didn't get the exact details of what shortly means. I'm assuming they've made the calls already, since it's been two working days now. I'm sure I didn't get a call but now I know I'm at least two spots closer to the top and who knows maybe it took them 5 or 6 calls before they got to two people who would consider the offer. Slow movement but there's movement. Good luck to all.

Keep the good news coming. Let's hope that July provides much more movement than June did..........

I'm guessing that the admissions office is closed today for the holiday. A long weekend like this will surely result in a few openings for waitlisters this week.

Good luck to all!!

I have declined the upstate offer, so one more spot just opened up! Good luck everyone!

Thanks for the love Callalily, good luck next year!!!!!