SUNY vs. UCBSO vs. etc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyezforlyfe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this question is brought up a lot but I am having a difficult time deciding between schools. I went to UC Berkeley for my undergraduate degree and loved the bay but was hoping for a new adventure starting optometry school.

I applied and got accepted to NECO, SCCO, SUNY, and UCBSO.
NECO was by far my favorite location and school but I know the reputation is not up to the standards of SUNY and Berkeley. I was wondering if anyone had any input for helping me decide between the two, since it seems like both schools have very high pass board rates.

I don't know where I will end up practicing optometry so proximity to my future employment is not a huge factor. Tuition wise, all schools but SCCO, are equivalent because of a scholarship I received from NECO and in state tuition for both SUNY and Berkeley.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

When it comes to any large decision, make a list of pro's/con's about each place and prioritize what you want. I wouldn't imagine board rates being too much an issue since boards is pretty easy and if you had the stats to get into all of those schools, you must have a good head on your shoulder to receive an education whether from books, internet research, or through professors, no matter how varied professor quality may be.

I'm a person who likes comfort, has family in the Bay, and hates moving, so if I were you, I would choose Berkeley. You seem to want to travel so you'd obviously rank someplace else higher in that regard. You already stated you like NECO so by all means you can also follow your judgement on what made that school more appealing.

All of those schools are alright, and again I'm sure you'll find a good education at any location. I personally am not a big fan of the unaccredited schools or NECO/PCO because I seem to always hear negativity about them, but I never went there and I've met students there who seemed pretty solid.

This is just one opinion from my experience, but I work currently in the Connecticut area as a technician so I interact with a lot of doctors who went to both SUNY and NECO. I have had multiple doctors who graduated from SUNY in the last 5 -10 years discourage me from attending SUNY - one reported an awful experience (rude faculty, highly competitive atmosphere) while others explained that SUNY has made major changes to their program by accepting a larger class and cutting full-time faculty (especially in the VT program it sounds like) that has ultimately decreased the caliber of students emerging from the program. I know when I interviewed there, my interview experience was uncomfortable and I was frankly surprised by the lack of poise of the students I met. Perhaps I just had a bad experience / met people having a bad day - since you interviewed there you should draw your own conclusions. Obviously it is still a great school, I just took it as a huge warning flag that SUNY alumni were telling me not to accept their offer of admission. In terms of NECO, I worked with a few current students there and they all LOVED it - the campus, the facilities, the faculty, Boston. I still hear current ODs tell me "don't go to NECO" (oddly, mostly SUNY grads), but just as many of the ODs I speak to are saying "why didn't you apply there?" and recognize that the school is producing much more competent ODs than its "reputation" would indicate (It sounds like they have also made changes to their program in the last few years). I mostly didn't apply because I am from the Boston area and wanted a new experience myself :)

Overall, I would say go with your gut and where you feel most comfortable! You are clearly a bright enough student to get accepted to those schools, so you will pass your boards wherever you go, its more a matter of what environment will make your four years most enjoyable. Its such a tough decision - good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have friends who are currently SUNY students and they love SUNY. They are happy with their professors, clinic( you won't find a clinic located in the same building as your classes anywhere else!), and a chill student body. On the day of my SUNY interview, I was able to speak to other suny students and the feeling was the same. I personally am thrilled that I will be attending SUNY.

Best of luck!

I also got accepted into UCBSO! Are you coming to Admit Day? Did you decide yet?

Thanks for all the input everyone!
After lots of thought, I decided on UCBSO which I am very excited about! And yes, I will be attending Admit day!