super low GPA/high MCAT applicant. Soo lost and Unsure what to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

berryboys

Reaction score
Hi guyss. Any feedback you could provide would be super helpful. So basically I have a 2.9 cGPA/2.5 sGPA (183 units). Yea not good ik but I was going through a lot mental health wise and did have an upward trend my last two years until my last quarter where i got straight c's :/. Anyways I took the MCAT recently and to my surprise I got a 520. So here I am unsure what to do. Should I apply broadly to DO's and pray I get in? My concerns are quality/access to rotations, and possibly hindering my ability to match in the future while also not wanting to attend a for profit school. Or should I do a post bacc? And if so a formal one or a DIY post bacc? Like does the prestige of the institution I do my post bacc matter? What about an SMP? I'm just so lost and having a really hard time navigating my situation so any help would be much appreciated.

Just for added context I have a couple thousand hours of research and am currently working as a scribe in the ED.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Congrats on your MCAT, I hope your mental health struggles have resolved or atleast improved. You may need some post-bacc work to get your gpa above some screening thresholds. I would imagine if you killed an SMP you would be sitting pretty with new coursework trend and that MCAT but I'm not entirely sure if it's necessary. Formal post-bacc's are more expensive, structured, and may offer some additional resources like advising. If you don't need that then people seem to do fine just grinding it DIY and boosting those numbers. You could benefit from a WAMC post to get better idea of your options or recommended next steps.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi guyss. Any feedback you could provide would be super helpful. So basically I have a 2.9 cGPA/2.5 sGPA (183 units). Yea not good ik but I was going through a lot mental health wise and did have an upward trend my last two years until my last quarter where i got straight c's :/. Anyways I took the MCAT recently and to my surprise I got a 520. So here I am unsure what to do. Should I apply broadly to DO's and pray I get in? My concerns are quality/access to rotations, and possibly hindering my ability to match in the future while also not wanting to attend a for profit school. Or should I do a post bacc? And if so a formal one or a DIY post bacc? Like does the prestige of the institution I do my post bacc matter? What about an SMP? I'm just so lost and having a really hard time navigating my situation so any help would be much appreciated.

Just for added context I have a couple thousand hours of research and am currently working as a scribe in the ED.
If you want more specific advice, fill out a template.

If this is what you want to do, enroll in an SMP and apply to schools that will reward reinvention.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@Mr.Smile12 is spot on as always.Medical school is very stressful. Any mental health issues should be resolved or optimized before applying. You will need to show the school you can handle the course work. A smp will help with this. Our first semester of school is 32 credits, so imo a smp with good grades will help to convince the school you can do the work. Good luck and best wishes.

Reactions: 3 users

SMP or postbac first. No med school is doing you any favors by admitting you whe you still have numerous red flags.

#1, make sure your mental health issues are under 100% control.

Reactions: 2 users
SMP or postbac first. No med school is doing you any favors by admitting you whe you still have numerous red flags.

#1, make sure your mental health issues are under 100% control.

Thanks for your feedback! Yea I'm in a lot better place now and feel like my grades will really show this

Would you recommend an SMP over a postbacc, or vise versa?

If you want more specific advice, fill out a template.

If this is what you want to do, enroll in an SMP and apply to schools that will reward reinvention.
Thanks for your response! Why would you reccomend an SMP over a diy post bacc?

Many are med school Lite. Meaning a little less strenuous than our regular 1st sem students take. Our SMP grads hit the ground running when they start 1st semester. Be ready, most SMPs are the real deal and the information will come fast. Good luck and best wishes!

• Love

Congrats on the MCAT! I completely agree with those who say first make sure you're in a good place in terms of your health. If you are, do a postbac program to show that you can handle the work and thrive.

I don't have a strong opinion on the postbac vs SMTP program. If you do a formal program, try for one with linkage to medical school.

Last edited: