Supervising PA’s

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SLC

A Punk Rock Country Doc
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of my job responsibilities that I’ll be taking on is the supervision of a PA or two. This isn’t something I’ve learned or thought a lot about and I just learned of the expectation this week.

Anyone have experience with this? Any pitfalls I should be on the look-out for?

I’ve been doing my own research too, but figured I’d ask and see what the board experience has to offer.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't do it SLC.

Goddamn it.

If I could fast forward 5 years, I'd propose you and I to form a group practice brother.

We could have the world chico...

and everything in it!

*al pacino voice*

One of my job responsibilities that I’ll be taking on is the supervision of a PA or two. This isn’t something I’ve learned or thought a lot about and I just learned of the expectation this week.

Anyone have experience with this? Any pitfalls I should be on the look-out for?

I’ve been doing my own research too, but figured I’d ask and see what the board experience has to offer.

I've supervised a lot of NPs and PAs. It hasn't always been a bad experience - there were some NPs and PAs that were wonderful, very smart, very hard working, and knew a lot. There were some that sucked, though.

I think that the relationship between midlevel and physician is dictated, in part, by how administration structures your clinic. If they structure it well, your relationship can be mutually beneficial. If they don't, that's when things can fall apart.

It's a little concerning that you didn't find out about PA supervision duties until just now. Usually that's something that they should tell you up front; it's a little strange that they didn't.

Some things to ask:
- How experienced is the PA that you'll be supervising? And in what context? Do NOT accept vague answers, like, "very experienced," or "has a lot of experience!" A CEO said, with a straight face, that an NP with 2 years of experience was "very experienced." When I met this NP, she told me that she had worked, alone, for most of those two years, with no feedback, no one to bounce questions off of, and when she didn't know something, she just had to wing it. (She had been very unhappy with this, which was why she had left that job.)

- What do they mean by supervising? Will you be signing off on their charts, or just be available for questions? (Some of this obviously depends on how good your PA is.) If they require you to sign off on charts, are they giving you extra money or extra time for this?

- What influence will you have over administrative action that needs to be taken against this PA, if necessary? If your PA routinely mismanages patients, or does not finish notes, or routinely shows up very late, or has a terrible bedside manner, will they allow you to take disciplinary action (firing or placing on administrative leave), or will they just request that you "talk to the PA and encourage them to change"?

- If they want you to supervise more PAs in the future, do they allow you to have a say in who to hire? Or do you have to take whoever they give you? I vociferously protested against hiring an NP who was fresh out of school and told us "I learned so much in NP school, I don't think that there's anything that anyone can teach me." They offered her a job anyway.

That's all I can think of for now. If I think of anything else, I'll post it.

Reactions: 1 user
The situation is that this is a small community, with like 8 doctors and a number of PA’s; each physician has a PA to supervise. Most of the PA’s have been in this community for years, most grew up here actually, which means they know the people and are very respected and popular.

We’re asked to review and sign off on charts as per state law. We do take a cut of all of our PA’s productivity. And I will have some say in disciplinary/oversight issues, and hiring.

The hospital is part of a much larger and very well respected system; I don’t think they’re purposefully trying to hide anything from me, it doesn’t seem like their style. And as an example, I’ve also been surprised to find out that I get paid separately for ED call, and for Hospitalist Call.

Everything I’ve been surprised by has meant more pay than I’ve expected (I thought ER and Hospitalist coverage were part of my base salary). This is no different, with the exception of adding some potential liability in addition to the extra pay.

I haven’t signed anything official for it yet. It’s not part of my original contract. I signed addendum’s for ER and Hospitalist coverage, and I’m certain there will be an addendum for PA supervision; if not then I suppose I’m not locked in and required to do anything if it turns out I’m uncomfortable.

Don't do it SLC.

Goddamn it.

If I could fast forward 5 years, I'd propose you and I to form a group practice brother.

We could have the world chico...

and everything in it!

*al pacino voice*

I’d be all over that, Queen...

"I learned so much in NP school, I don't think that there's anything that anyone can teach me." They offered her a job anyway.

...wow. Just shows how much she doesn't know.

Famous quotes from one of the many NP's they wanted me to sign notes for..

"I've been doing this longer than you've been alive."

Um, no thanks.

Reactions: 4 users
I was kind of involved in NP education, and some are not taught how to do a fundascopic exam.

I was kind of involved in NP education, and some are not taught how to do a fundascopic exam.

The issue I had with NPs was that their curriculum is all over the place. Some learn joint injections and skin biopsies; others could barely do a pap correctly. Resident and PA education is slightly more standardized (although there were certainly MDs and PAs who skimmed through rotations and missed some key stuff.)

The problem is that some programs make the student find their own rotations.

Reactions: 1 users
The problem is that some programs make the student find their own rotations.
That's not the problem. The problem is they should not be allowed to do practice medicine independently or at all.

Reactions: 5 users
They will tell you they practice "advanced nursing." They avoid the state medical board too.