Supervisor Inpatient Interview VA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clarkbar

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got invited to a VA supervisory inpatient interview. It is far away, though they are offering a Teams video interview, they did mention they prefer an in person interview.
I am a little skeptical on how serious they are, as I do not have much supervisor experience, I was on ABX, PT committees, did some projects and have clinical and staffing inpatient experience, and I was lead pharmacist once. Also, the app closed one month ago and they are only calling now.

What are they looking for as a supervisor? What skills and responsibilities are they expecting? What is the process for VA interviews? When I call to schedule an interview, what should Thank you for any support?

Members don't see this ad.

It’s the government, not unusual for them to take their time and contact late after the app closed.

Members don't see this ad :)
People generally don't want to be management at the VA...more responsibility for marginal pay increase...so these positions aren't always super competitive.

It does seem to be less competitive, only three apps. It's a large facility, but only 86 beds? I assume it has copious outpatient clinics.

It appears they like my clinical background. How does this help being pharmacist supervisor? What are their main tasks, other than schedules, discipline, etc.?

At the VA, do they have clin pharmacists doing PT, ABX stewardship, etc.? I also assume they will be doing the research on what doesn't work based on running reports--or is that also supervisory?

Defintely need some guidance here. Not sure what they will ask or being wanting to know beyond they wanted someone with clinical knowledge, but did not relay for what capacity or function!

People generally don't want to be management at the VA...more responsibility for marginal pay increase...so these positions aren't always super competitive.
i assume responsibility is shifted, from having to caruouse mds to do your intervention and high stress accuracy, to dealing with nurse complaints, shortages, etc.?

I would really appreciate as much insight as possible. Never been VA and never been superviosry.

i assume responsibility is shifted, from having to caruouse mds to do your intervention and high stress accuracy, to dealing with nurse complaints, shortages, etc.?

I would really appreciate as much insight as possible. Never been VA and never been superviosry.
And dealing with your staff, government red tape and the VA taking forever to hire staff working under you and the consequences of that

Did you read the job posting? The expectations are on there. The process is slow.
There were many to the point it was not very useful, like most .gov jobs i have found.

And dealing with your staff, government red tape and the VA taking forever to hire staff working under you and the consequences of that
Any input into what questions they may ask? It's an inperson interview. What challenges are hospital supers facing?
What are good questions to ask. I definitely want the job. Thanks!

They will be performance-based questions. Tell me about a time when you dealt with this situation.... how did you handle it? What was the outcome? How did you deal with x, y, z...

Current VA psychologist (non-supervisory) sharing some general thoughts:
I am a little skeptical on how serious they are
Since you found this on USAJobs, it's considered a competitive hire position (as opposed to a direct hire, which requires special permission from hospital leadership to bypass the competitive process). In the job description, it may say that first preference may be extended to current employees of this facility or people currently in federal service but the position is otherwise open to all candidates.

An unfortunate part of VA competitive hires is that sometimes a dept already has an internal candidate in mind but because they couldn't get direct hire approval, they still need to go through the process of interviewing other candidates to follow federal employment hiring guidelines that promote fairness. I've attended interviews where I was 99% certain I had no shot because somebody was probably pre-chosen (disinterested interviewers, questions that were almost too easy, didn't ask me if I had questions for them, didn't mention reaching out to references, trying to wrap up quickly, etc).
What are they looking for as a supervisor?
At the most basic level, it's to ensure that VA policies, which capture both clinical and political priorities, are being followed. The head of VA (Denis McDonough) is a political appointee who answers directly to the President, as well as the Senate and House VA committees. We trickle down from the Executive branch to national VA leadership to regional VA leadership (VISNs) to local leadership (medical center director, chief of staff) to specific departments (service lines in VA lingo) to frontline staff. As you can imagine, it's hierarchical & chain of command is very relevant.

This is where lack of VA experience and understanding of the VA system would be a minus, irrespective of actual competence. At least in my discipline, it would be almost unheard of for somebody without any VA experience to be hired into a supervisory role. However, some people can be promoted really quickly upon entering VA, especially if they seek out/are given leadership opportunities within their pre-promotion grade.
What is the process for VA interviews?
Competitive process interviews almost always performance based interviews. Here's the VA's info site.

Reactions: 1 users
They will be performance-based questions. Tell me about a time when you dealt with this situation.... how did you handle it? What was the outcome? How did you deal with x, y, z...
I am familiar with some of those, the big ones being:

a. tell me a time when you fixed something leading to efficiency
b. tell me a time when you suggested something and it wasn't integrated
c. tell me a time when you disagreed with a coworker and how did you handle it?

Question C always stumps me.

What other questions am I missing? I think they are stock questions.

Current VA psychologist (non-supervisory) sharing some general thoughts:

Since you found this on USAJobs, it's considered a competitive hire position (as opposed to a direct hire, which requires special permission from hospital leadership to bypass the competitive process). In the job description, it may say that first preference may be extended to current employees of this facility or people currently in federal service but the position is otherwise open to all candidates.

An unfortunate part of VA competitive hires is that sometimes a dept already has an internal candidate in mind but because they couldn't get direct hire approval, they still need to go through the process of interviewing other candidates to follow federal employment hiring guidelines that promote fairness. I've attended interviews where I was 99% certain I had no shot because somebody was probably pre-chosen (disinterested interviewers, questions that were almost too easy, didn't ask me if I had questions for them, didn't mention reaching out to references, trying to wrap up quickly, etc).

At the most basic level, it's to ensure that VA policies, which capture both clinical and political priorities, are being followed. The head of VA (Denis McDonough) is a political appointee who answers directly to the President, as well as the Senate and House VA committees. We trickle down from the Executive branch to national VA leadership to regional VA leadership (VISNs) to local leadership (medical center director, chief of staff) to specific departments (service lines in VA lingo) to frontline staff. As you can imagine, it's hierarchical & chain of command is very relevant.

This is where lack of VA experience and understanding of the VA system would be a minus, irrespective of actual competence. At least in my discipline, it would be almost unheard of for somebody without any VA experience to be hired into a supervisory role. However, some people can be promoted really quickly upon entering VA, especially if they seek out/are given leadership opportunities within their pre-promotion grade.

Competitive process interviews almost always performance based interviews. Here's the VA's info site.
According to the site, very few applicants have applied. Tell me more about the VA system and its policies that are pertinent. How do these affect dpt. or hospital operations? What are the main responsibilities of a hospital supervisor, including scheduling, discipline, logistics, meetings, etc.?
And thanks for the site!

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you elaborate on teh responsibilities? Thank you!

According to the site, very few applicants have applied. Tell me more about the VA system and its policies that are pertinent. How do these affect dpt. or hospital operations? What are the main responsibilities of a hospital supervisor, including scheduling, discipline, logistics, meetings, etc.?
And thanks for the site!
Here are the updated priorities for VA. How they impact each facility and department will vary. There’s a saying - if you’ve seen 1 VA, you’ve seen 1 VA.

Broadly speaking, literally every process in VA has a standard operating procedure (SOP). National sets overall guidelines and then locally, there will be SOPs on how to carry that out in practice.

A supervisor is responsible for implementing, creating or adapting these SOPs, especially as national guidance changes, which happen frequently in my discipline. And work with other hospital admin to ensure follow through or troubleshoot barriers.

You also do annual performance evals for staff you are supervising, managing their schedules, making sure there is coverage during holidays, participate in re-accreditation processes, etc.

Can you elaborate on teh responsibilities? Thank you!
In short: more headaches, not more money
You are responsible for your staff and making sure that your department looks good to your superiors and free of OIG complaints/Joint Commission violations/etc. Also a headache to staff appropriately when the VA sets you up for being chronically understaffed, and some of your staff might not like being told what to do and will report you to the union. I have a chance this week to basically apply for a clinical supervisor position with my name on it if I wanted it (because no one currently internal at the facility wants it), but no thanks.

Also, I just realized I literally answered this question above.

Reactions: 2 users
You are responsible for your staff and making sure that your department looks good to your superiors and free of OIG complaints/Joint Commission violations/etc. Also a headache to staff appropriately when the VA sets you up for being chronically understaffed, and some of your staff might not like being told what to do and will report you to the union. I have a chance this week to basically apply for a clinical supervisor position with my name on it if I wanted it (because no one currently internal at the facility wants it), but no thanks.

Thanks for the reply. I think it's a 'superivisory position inpatient,' Clinical supervisor supervises the clinical folk. How many of those are in a smallish hospital at the VA?
What is the main concern of the supervisor inpatient position? From the private sector, seems he does scheduling, changes the order sets and formulary based on shortages, etc. Does he do any committee, P and T or ABX? Basically, the man was a black box and I don't really know what he did.

Here are the updated priorities for VA. How they impact each facility and department will vary. There’s a saying - if you’ve seen 1 VA, you’ve seen 1 VA.

Broadly speaking, literally every process in VA has a standard operating procedure (SOP). National sets overall guidelines and then locally, there will be SOPs on how to carry that out in practice.

A supervisor is responsible for implementing, creating or adapting these SOPs, especially as national guidance changes, which happen frequently in my discipline. And work with other hospital admin to ensure follow through or troubleshoot barriers.

You also do annual performance evals for staff you are supervising, managing their schedules, making sure there is coverage during holidays, participate in re-accreditation processes, etc.
Tell me more about the SOPs that are common, if you can, please.

Unwritten questions that you will be assessed on:

1. (Most important) - Are you likely to quit under 6 months? (I'm not kidding as that is actually one of my own criteria as supervisors have an average career lifespan of less than 3 years and it's annoying to repost twice in a year.) If you have a career history of moving jobs under 2 years, you're not considered.

2. What's your motivation as you are underpaid relative to the private sector and even academic sector and you are supervising staff with more rights (and know how to use them) than you?

3. How good are you at (positive) improvising, (neutral) bull****ting, (negative) or falsifying statements before a relatively discerning audience?

I openly ask them the PBQ "You need to fire (not reassign or layoff) someone for non-performance reasons per a directive from management. How would you go about it?" because it tells me much about:
a. How much they understand government
b. How much they understand government directives and management
c. How well they can work with competing priorities
d. How experienced they are with trust issues (because you have to have trust issues to work well in government management)
e. That the other way to read the question is that whoever gave you that directive may also intend on doing it on you, and how to react to it.
f. That there are no right answers, just different degrees of wrongness to the answer and the specific wrongness they take is what I want to know.

Reactions: 3 users
Unwritten questions that you will be assessed on:

1. (Most important) - Are you likely to quit under 6 months? (I'm not kidding as that is actually one of my own criteria as supervisors have an average career lifespan of less than 3 years and it's annoying to repost twice in a year.) If you have a career history of moving jobs under 2 years, you're not considered.

2. What's your motivation as you are underpaid relative to the private sector and even academic sector and you are supervising staff with more rights (and know how to use them) than you?

3. How good are you at (positive) improvising, (neutral) bull****ting, (negative) or falsifying statements before a relatively discerning audience?

I openly ask them the PBQ "You need to fire (not reassign or layoff) someone for non-performance reasons per a directive from management. How would you go about it?" because it tells me much about:
a. How much they understand government
b. How much they understand government directives and management
c. How well they can work with competing priorities
d. How experienced they are with trust issues (because you have to have trust issues to work well in government management)
e. That the other way to read the question is that whoever gave you that directive may also intend on doing it on you, and how to react to it.
f. That there are no right answers, just different degrees of wrongness to the answer and the specific wrongness they take is what I want to know.
Where do VA managers go after 3 years, back to staffing? What makes the job that challenging? What ends up driving them out?

Please elaborate on number 3. I know that pharmacy has low power as a dpt. and has trouble holding the line at the hospital meetings, but I definitely don't know the nuts and bolts of it.

How common are disciplinary actions at VA and other than documentation and reviews, how is it complicated to move someone out?

You say that from the perspective of someone trying to do a good job. Knowing the supervisors you know at the place where you are at, is that an accurate assessment of their motivations? It takes a special kind of person to be a competent supervisor, and not necessarily a good person. It actually helps (and I mean this unironically) if you aren't.

Where do VA managers go after 3 years, back to staffing? What makes the job that challenging? What ends up driving them out?

Please elaborate on number 3. I know that pharmacy has low power as a dpt. and has trouble holding the line at the hospital meetings, but I definitely don't know the nuts and bolts of it.

How common are disciplinary actions at VA and other than documentation and reviews, how is it complicated to move someone out?

They leave.

The nuts and bolts are the Civil Service guarantees career tenure. Even for nonperformance, the process to fire a nonsupervisory employee is quite onerous except for shirking work (AWOL), stealing money (not drugs) from a Civil Service agency, or loss of license.

Multiple choice question:

Who has been fired from the VA?

A. Serving as a getaway driver for a store robbery WHILE being in jail on duty time
B. Doing lines of cocaine in front of a known security camera as well as having inappropriate relations with two direct subordinate staff
C. Swinger who bullied his contractor (non-Civil Service) pharmacists to participate in the swinging club or not get their contract renewed. And caught on tape as well as confessed to it
D. In a position of National Security, openly was a gambling addict and was in debt to a foreign service agent
E. None of the above

The answer is E of course. A still has a job and gets CWT. B is a SES incumbent. C got a transfer and still works for the VA in the Midsouth, D got to retire four years into the investigation to fire him.

That's why I ask the question. I don't want a good person in a supervisory job, I want an effective one. If they are good people, fine, that's not necessary and in fact detrimental in certain cases.

Personally, I consider about 60% of the Title 38 staff to be on the up-and-up and of those, 20% (12% overall) are downright exemplary where despite how badly the VA treats them, they heroically will presevere and do their jobs beyond the call of their profession and despite the V screwing them over with policies or politics. 25% are mediocre and if you were really motivated to fire them, you could make up a reason. 10% are truly incompetent and dangerous, and 5% are criminally dangerous (as in physically or sexually assaulting patients bad), and those you spend the vast, vast majority of time either working on harm reduction or putting them through the process. I've actually been in the position that had I continued to work to fire someone, I would have been murdered by that person and I was certainly terrified of him and took his threats completely seriously. My successor was nearly killed (medically retired due to the received TBI as well as other issues) by the employee which is a famous case in the VA now. By the way for those in the VA, that's why the Level IV training exists now, that incident at Hines as well as Roxbury and Augusta.

The benefit of career tenure is that when you have a malevolent sociopath as your boss, you can endure them out if nothing else. The problem of career tenure is that if you are the malevolent sociopath, it's very difficult to get rid of you even with damning evidence. It's not the quantity of disciplinary, it's the quality, and the likelihood of personal retaliation. This is why I keep my PLI up-to-date as well ensure that I am not a supervisor at the higher levels over anyone but senior grade staff.

If you are actually going to get the job done well, you have to be able to know when to toe the rules and when to break them for the greater good, without getting caught.

And what I wrote is purely what is relatable to the private sector as a top-down matter. There's a whole different world in the down-top when you have to deal with front office, region (VISN), and national (Central Office) management, and how they compete, backstab, and pressure for results. It is rare to have one master, and often times, you have to gang up with two to play against the other one. There's been times where you get regional and national to beat up your local management in the morning (performance measures), spend lunch plotting with local and regional staff to screw over national funding allocations (the so-called "Veterans Equitable Resource Allocation", and finish the day with getting national PBM to give to come-to-Jesus talk to the corrupt regional director over formulary micromanagement. And all parties know it, and the question is not whether they want you gone, but how to make sure that it's not immediately on their minds. Now that I am Central staff, I have to deal with lies all the time from local and regional areas, and the tricky part is figuring out why, because everyone lies from the perspective of self-preservation, but knowing the motivation helps you figure out what is actually going on at the field level from Central directives. The VA bureaucracy is intentionally set up to have adversarial/volatile relationships between three parties, and a sense for knowing when the time to cooperate and the time to compete are what we are looking for in a successful managment candidate.

Last edited:
  • Hmm
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
That was quite informative. How would this relate to a small hospital, inpatient pharmacist supervisor? What responsibilities are they having on a daily basis? What leadership roles?

From my limited experience with management at this level, their jobs are more secure than staff or clinical pharmacists, granted I am referring to private employment. In the private sector, pharmacists are the most redundant, highest turn-over personnel, mostly as a function of the internal culture of perfection and weakness vis-a-vis other departments.
The time when they are powerless is when dealing with other departments in the facility, MDs have clout and superiority complexes, nurses have numbers and a culture of complaining. THey are both larger than pharmacy and shove med error blame on them and push back on formulary, abx stewarship.

I recently got invited to a VA supervisory inpatient interview. It is far away, though they are offering a Teams video interview, they did mention they prefer an in person interview.
I am a little skeptical on how serious they are, as I do not have much supervisor experience, I was on ABX, PT committees, did some projects and have clinical and staffing inpatient experience, and I was lead pharmacist once. Also, the app closed one month ago and they are only calling now.

What are they looking for as a supervisor? What skills and responsibilities are they expecting? What is the process for VA interviews? When I call to schedule an interview, what should Thank you for any support?
I am curious, Did you have positive outcomes? I would be surprised a VA went with an external candidate and if that’s the case, I can only imagine the issues at that VA.

That was quite informative. How would this relate to a small hospital, inpatient pharmacist supervisor? What responsibilities are they having on a daily basis? What leadership roles?

From my limited experience with management at this level, their jobs are more secure than staff or clinical pharmacists, granted I am referring to private employment. In the private sector, pharmacists are the most redundant, highest turn-over personnel, mostly as a function of the internal culture of perfection and weakness vis-a-vis other departments.
The time when they are powerless is when dealing with other departments in the facility, MDs have clout and superiority complexes, nurses have numbers and a culture of complaining. THey are both larger than pharmacy and shove med error blame on them and push back on formulary, abx stewarship.
There are many more qualified people to speak on VA pharmacist employment. My experience is very dated. Here is my take: I worked at the Atlanta VA, as a pharmacy intern/tech and then as a graduate intern. Now having worked in many hospitals, as mid-management and staff.
We are talking apples and oranges, not much translates from Govt. to Private Sector Hospitals. Both management pharmacist face politics and difficulties, but on total different levels.
The above posters are correct, as I was told about federal/VA job security: "You have to murder a co-worker, to be fired". And even then, was there cause for the murder, More job security than anywhere else. GS rank is king, There were many long term VA staff pharmacist that wouldn't consider management because of tons of more responsibility with not much pay increase. Management doesn't make your job more stable. And that is why those jobs are offered to "civilians" because internally, no one wants it.
MDs, RNs, Pharmacist, not much power struggle happening at the VA.
My opinion is, the two environments, there is not much relatability!
I would ask myself, with thousands up on thousands of qualified pharmacists, within the VA system (any R.Ph. can transfer to any state without licensing restrictions) are they looking outside for a Pharmacy manager?

Reactions: 1 user
I am curious, Did you have positive outcomes? I would be surprised a VA went with an external candidate and if that’s the case, I can only imagine the issues at that VA.
External to VA or external to the facility? what makes an ideal candidate, management exerpience or VA experience?