"Supplies" For Vet School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What size external hard drive would everyone recommend? I want to be able to put all of the lecture videos on it, but don't really know how much that would be. Plus I have a lot of photos and video I want to keep too. 1TB? 2TB?

Or am I better getting separate ones for school and personal things?

This is more of a "how you use your computer" question than a vet school supplies question... in my experience lecture videos don't take up a ton of space (unless we're talking HD quality :laugh:), and powerpoints/word docs are teeny. If you have a lot of personal photos and videos then you'll need space for that. Personally, I'd get a 2TB and be done with it. They're pretty cheap these days. You should be able to back up your entire computer with that and not have to worry about space for a LONG time. We have a 2TB external (this one) and it's got a ton of bluray movies on it, my entire photo collection (10,000+ hi res images), and a back-up of everything else from our desktop computer.

Easnadh also makes a great point about a smaller, portable external hard drive. We have a small, older 250MB one that has come in handy a few times for traveling or when the media server is acting up and we want to plug in a movie without copying it over to the PS3.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Powerpoints in vet school can add up FAST. Just FYI - you get one a day per class, and sometimes they are stupidly long.

Also, OneNote is a bit of a hog if you hand-write notes or do lots of diagrams etc... that's probably just me with the tablet, since each stroke is a separate 'picture' that you can move or edit independently...

Members don't see this ad :)
Powerpoints in vet school can add up FAST. Just FYI - you get one a day per class, and sometimes they are stupidly long.

Also, OneNote is a bit of a hog if you hand-write notes or do lots of diagrams etc... that's probably just me with the tablet, since each stroke is a separate 'picture' that you can move or edit independently...

Out of curiousity I just went to look at my OneNote folder. I expected it to be a lot bigger - it was just about 20gb for all three years + some random fourth year stuff. 2.5years of handwritten notes, 1 semester of typed notes. Lots of diagrams, notes packets, study guides, etc.

I'm not sure how much space I would have saved vs just having all the PPTs in a folder - The folder of PPTs for just one class is 1.8GB. Averaging 6 classes a semester, for 8 semesters, that would have been a lot more than 20gb assuming all classes have such mega-long PPTs.

I just got my tablet for vet school tonight--a Galaxy Note 10.1! Still waiting for it to charge so that I can set it up and make sure it's working properly, and then I've got all summer to figure out how to use it.

Laptop shopping is so stressful! I don't know anything about computers lol

I have an iPad... What more do I need??

What type of features do y'all find useful for vet school on your laptops??

Not sure how helpful this will be or if anyone will agree, but when I was looking for laptops I wanted something with at least 500gb HD (I actually ended up with a 256 solid state, but I have an external HD too), 8GB RAM, i5 or i7 processor. Though now they are coming out with the new intel processor, but I don't know you'll actually be able to get your hands on one before the winter though.
Other than that I debated about PC vs Mac, but with everyone's comments about struggling with Macs with the programs at Mizzou I decided on PC. I think at Mizzou the inconveniences on a mac are probably minor, but I just didn't want to deal with it. So since I was getting a PC I wanted a touch screen because I figure having windows 8 is kind of pointless without a touchscreen.
So that's how I decided in case anyone was curious.

Not sure how helpful this will be or if anyone will agree, but when I was looking for laptops I wanted something with at least 500gb HD (I actually ended up with a 256 solid state, but I have an external HD too), 8GB RAM, i5 or i7 processor. Though now they are coming out with the new intel processor, but I don't know you'll actually be able to get your hands on one before the winter though.
Other than that I debated about PC vs Mac, but with everyone's comments about struggling with Macs with the programs at Mizzou I decided on PC. I think at Mizzou the inconveniences on a mac are probably minor, but I just didn't want to deal with it. So since I was getting a PC I wanted a touch screen because I figure having windows 8 is kind of pointless without a touchscreen.

Did you say what you ended up going with?

Oh yes, definitely going with a PC.. I'm not computer savvy enough to have to deal with compatibility issues. Initially I wanted a touch screen, but my fiancé thinks it's a bad idea- more fragile I guess is his argument.. IDN. Too many options.. I just wish I knew more about computers lol

Did you say what you ended up going with?

I ended up getting a lenovo yoga. Should be getting it today.

Oh yes, definitely going with a PC.. I'm not computer savvy enough to have to deal with compatibility issues. Initially I wanted a touch screen, but my fiancé thinks it's a bad idea- more fragile I guess is his argument.. IDN. Too many options.. I just wish I knew more about computers lol

I'm not sure there would be anything more fragile about a touchscreen. Yes, if you get a convertible laptop the hinges may wear out. But not all touchscreens are convertible. The one thing I made sure to get is a super extended warranty on my laptop. I'll get three years of coverage where they will come to my house to fix the computer plus it covers accidental damage. So if I drop it or anything they will fix it. With lenovo it was only an extra $150 to have that much coverage. I figure for vet school that will be REALLY helpful not having to worry that if something goes wrong with my computer they will come to me to fix it instead of having to send it to them and be without a computer for a few weeks.

Last edited:

I just ordered the helix last week. That was a splurge, I'm hoping its worth it though and will last a long time.

I just ordered the helix last week. That was a splurge, I'm hoping its worth it though and will last a long time.

I really wanted to helix, but I didn't want to spend quite that much money on my laptop. I'll be interested to hear how you like it.

I really wanted to helix, but I didn't want to spend quite that much money on my laptop. I'll be interested to hear how you like it.

I wouldn't have gotten it if not for the research award I just got. I've always been horrible with the capacitative touch styli (styluses?), but am really hoping to take notes on screen next year and I have a lot of experience with wacom technology and think its fantastic. Sadly the silly pen is a huge part of what sold it for me.

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm not sure there would be anything more fragile about a touchscreen. Yes, if you get a convertible laptop the hinges may wear out. But not all touchscreens are convertible. The one thing I made sure to get is a super extended warranty on my laptop. I'll get three years of coverage where they will come to my house to fix the computer plus it covers accidental damage. So if I drop it or anything they will fix it. With lenovo it was only an extra $150 to have that much coverage. I figure for vet school that will be REALLY helpful not having to worry that if something goes wrong with my computer they will come to me to fix it instead of having to send it to them and be without a computer for a few weeks.

I'm looking at the Yoga now on the website. I'm very interested to hear how you like it!! The only thing I don't like is that the keyboard isn't backlit. But I could deal with that lol

I was going to try and just use my ipad for the first few weeks of school to see how it goes. I never used a laptop in undergrad though so that might be part of my hesitation. I have a massive mac desktop at home and a keyboard + stylus for my ipad so we'll see. I used the ipad + keyboard combo in my last undergrad semester and I really liked it. I was using mostly Notability but I've also been playing around with IAnnotate PDF for writing on PDFs/Powerpoints and Goodnotes for straight hand-written notes and I like them both too. I'll probably spring for Pages soon too just for good measure. If it turns out that I need something more, I figure mac ships pretty quickly and I can order online. I've had too many problems with Windows computers in the past, plus, my husband is my personal IT guy and he's a mac man. This might be dependent on the school though - someone in my class asked upperclassman about computers and it doesn't sound like Cornell has any strict laptop requirements for students and there are laptops available to borrow if needed. There are also classes where we aren't allowed to have computers (although I think this is the exception rather than the rule).

I was going to try and just use my ipad for the first few weeks of school to see how it goes. I never used a laptop in undergrad though so that might be part of my hesitation. I have a massive mac desktop at home and a keyboard + stylus for my ipad so we'll see. I used the ipad + keyboard combo in my last undergrad semester and I really liked it. I was using mostly Notability but I've also been playing around with IAnnotate PDF for writing on PDFs/Powerpoints and Goodnotes for straight hand-written notes and I like them both too. I'll probably spring for Pages soon too just for good measure. If it turns out that I need something more, I figure mac ships pretty quickly and I can order online. I've had too many problems with Windows computers in the past, plus, my husband is my personal IT guy and he's a mac man. This might be dependent on the school though - someone in my class asked upperclassman about computers and it doesn't sound like Cornell has any strict laptop requirements for students and there are laptops available to borrow if needed. There are also classes where we aren't allowed to have computers (although I think this is the exception rather than the rule).

Maybe I should look into a keyboard for my iPad. I have notability but Im not in classes right now so it's hard to test it out with actual class materials.

Maybe I should look into a keyboard for my iPad. I have notability but Im not in classes right now so it's hard to test it out with actual class materials.

I posted the one I have before but I still recommend it. A classmate saw mine and liked it, ended up getting one herself, and loved it too. :) I swear I don't work for Logitech. I just get really excited when stuff actually works the way I want it to!

Edit - Forgot to mention that I back up all my notes/PDFs/Powerpoints/etc. to dropbox and then back to my computer at home (+ external backup storage) so keeping a ton of big files on my ipad hasn't been problematic yet. I also have a bunch of textbooks on there and the thing still runs fine.

Last edited:
I'm looking at the Yoga now on the website. I'm very interested to hear how you like it!! The only thing I don't like is that the keyboard isn't backlit. But I could deal with that lol

Maybe this will be dumb question, but when do you find that a backlit keyboard is necessary? Maybe it's just because I don't use my computer in the dark/never really look at the keyboard. I've never had one so it's not something I'm going miss but I've never really seen a need for one.

I posted the one I have before but I still recommend it. A classmate saw mine and liked it, ended up getting one herself, and loved it too. :) I swear I don't work for Logitech. I just get really excited when stuff actually works the way I want it to!

Just watched the video on that one!! I like it!! Gonna check if it's at best buy tonight!

Maybe this will be dumb question, but when do you find that a backlit keyboard is necessary? Maybe it's just because I don't use my computer in the dark/never really look at the keyboard. I've never had one so it's not something I'm going miss but I've never really seen a need for one.

Agree. :shrug:

I have never had one, but I have used my sisters laptop some that has it and I just liked the way the keyboard was lit. I figured it would be nice for times when the lights are dimmed for whatever reason. Not sure how often they dim the lights at Miz, but the toxicology lecture I saw had the lights almost all the way off. I guess a back lit keyboard was just one of those things that I wanted in a new laptop. Definitely not a deal breaker though!

I have never had one, but I have used my sisters laptop some that has it and I just liked the way the keyboard was lit. I figured it would be nice for times when the lights are dimmed for whatever reason. Not sure how often they dim the lights at Miz, but the toxicology lecture I saw had the lights almost all the way off. I guess a back lit keyboard was just one of those things that I wanted in a new laptop. Definitely not a deal breaker though!

Ah, ok, I can see that then. I think it's one of those things that I would never think I would like, but then if I had it I would really appreciate it.

Ah, ok, I can see that then. I think it's one of those things that I would never think I would like, but then if I had it I would really appreciate it.

Totally! My current laptop doesn't have it and I've been fine without it. But if given the option I think I might like it. We shall see!

This is probably the case. I so rarely look at my keys, it doesn't make a huge deal to me.

Lots of talk about new tech... :/ I'm trying to keep costs down. I have a 6 y/o Mac behemoth laptop that will be staying at home. We also have a Mac Mini desktop. I want them to last through vet school. Just upgraded my HD and memory on the lappy, so I may get some use out of her yet!

How long have you had yours for? Mine died (wouldn't be revived with charging) after about a year of heavy use and since there's no way to change the battery, it's essentially just a hard cover/prop stand. I was pretty irritated because I take really good care of my stuff. I liked it a lot while I had it, and would love to buy another, but $100 is not cheap for something that will only last me a year of use. Although I use the type feature a lot less now, so maybe it would last longer. But I'm wary :\

How long have you had yours for? Mine died (wouldn't be revived with charging) after about a year of heavy use and since there's no way to change the battery, it's essentially just a hard cover/prop stand. I was pretty irritated because I take really good care of my stuff. I liked it a lot while I had it, and would love to buy another, but $100 is not cheap for something that will only last me a year of use. Although I use the type feature a lot less now, so maybe it would last longer. But I'm wary :\

Oh shoot, I'm sorry to hear that. I've only had mine for 2ish months and obviously have not had any problems. Did you contact customer service at all? I've heard logitech's is good.

Oh shoot, I'm sorry to hear that. I've only had mine for 2ish months and obviously have not had any problems. Did you contact customer service at all? I've heard logitech's is good.

I didn't, mostly because I'm up in Canada for school and dealing with stuff back home is a pain in the butt from up there :thumbdown:. I looked at their website and I thought I remember saying well, that's the way it goes. So I just kind of mope about it :laugh:

Ohhh nooo! I don't like the sounds of that! I was super excited to go get one tonight if Best Buy has them!

I didn't, mostly because I'm up in Canada for school and dealing with stuff back home is a pain in the butt from up there :thumbdown:. I looked at their website and I thought I remember saying well, that's the way it goes. So I just kind of mope about it :laugh:

Yeah, you never know if the company will do anything for you if there isn't a specific warranty (can't remember if there is for the keyboard but I doubt it?). I read on a reddit post a few days ago that Logitech had great customer service though (real reputable source, I know), hence the question.

Hope you like it! I love mine.

I stayed up way too late setting it up last night. Until school starts, it's mainly going to be my comics slab...I think I have 3 or 4 comics apps on it, heh...:oops:

So far so good on the new laptop. Windows 8 is not my best friend yet, but at least I can switch back to the desktop when I get majorly confused. It is very shiny though and super fast! And I'm definitely going to have enough control with the touch screen to jot quick notes, draw arrows, diagrams, etc in one note which was the one thing I was worried about.

no clue if it holds true for the yoga, but both my lenovo thinkpads have a keyboard light that sits up under/next to the camera that can be turned on to illuminate the keyboard

I bought the Logitech keyboard tonight for my ipad. ..Can't wait to get it home and try it out !! While I was at Best Buy I saw a cool laptop/ tablet thing- the Acer Aspire R-7 . Has anyone heard a thing about it or does anyone have one??

I have a Samsung Note and love it!! I love being able to hand write my notes on my tablet. Had the galaxy 2 but didn't have the best hand writing option.

So far so good on the new laptop. Windows 8 is not my best friend yet, but at least I can switch back to the desktop when I get majorly confused. It is very shiny though and super fast! And I'm definitely going to have enough control with the touch screen to jot quick notes, draw arrows, diagrams, etc in one note which was the one thing I was worried about.

did you have to purchase one note?

sidenote- im using my new ipad keyboard and I really like it! now i just need to memorize the short cut key strokes and ill be set !

sidenote- im using my new ipad keyboard and I really like it! now i just need to memorize the short cut key strokes and ill be set !

The Student edition of Microsoft office comes with it.

glad you like it!

Question: are your schools not providing/selling you laptops/tablets for school?

Question: are your schools not providing/selling you laptops/tablets for school?

I'm pretty sure most don't. I seem to remember one school was providing tablets for vet students (OSU, maybe?) but that was the only one I've ever heard of and it sounded like it was a very new program.

I'm pretty sure most don't. I seem to remember one school was providing tablets for vet students (OSU, maybe?) but that was the only one I've ever heard of and it sounded like it was a very new program.

Okay, I was wondering. My school does and you pay for it and get free IT help.

Okay, I was wondering. My school does and you pay for it and get free IT help.

Yeah, they'll make us pay for it with technology fees or whatever added in with tuition, but it's still pretty sweet.

Makes me less concerned about my expired warranty and having to pay a fortune to fix it if my Macbook explodes one of these days :p