Surgeons, what are your colleagues like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

taylormd13

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
In other words, are surgeons friends with their colleagues? I know that as a surgeon you spend so much time in the hospital and working that I figure a lot of your friends would come from work. However, I feel like the surgeons I've seen and met have been married, older, very serious, I guess just not so much the type of people I could see myself being around 24/7 if I chose to go down this career path. I really love surgery, and my dream job (as of right now, of course things can change) is a pediatric surgeon (I also am interested in trauma surgery). However, I'm concerned about being in an environment I like, or more specifically with colleagues I mesh well with. This is definitely a superficial detail, but I want to know as much as possible about what I would be getting myself into if I were to go into the field of surgery. Also, bluntly - how attractive are many surgeons? Does the crazy lifestyle tend to cause them to let themselves go a bit..?

How would you describe your colleagues? In as much detail as possible please!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What stage of training are you in right now? Because it seems like a lot of these questions are rather easily answered when actually spending time around surgical residents and attendings. We're just like everybody else in the sense that some of us are super serious, some of us are rarely serious and everything in between. I would say though that as surgeons, we tend to be much better looking than the national average. During the interview process, we do the best we can to not allow "normies" into the upper echelons of surgical training. In fact, I may have already said too much...

Reactions: 7 users
I'll echo what TypeADissection said - surgeons self select only the most attractive candidates. I underwent rhinoplasty and mentoplasty to increase my competitiveness before applying. I'm hoping it will be enough.

In all seriousness though, as TypeA's name implies - there is a higher percentage of type A personalities in surgery. So if you mesh well with type A personalities, it will probably be a good fit.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In other words, are surgeons friends with their colleagues? I know that as a surgeon you spend so much time in the hospital and working that I figure a lot of your friends would come from work. However, I feel like the surgeons I've seen and met have been married, older, very serious, I guess just not so much the type of people I could see myself being around 24/7 if I chose to go down this career path. I really love surgery, and my dream job (as of right now, of course things can change) is a pediatric surgeon (I also am interested in trauma surgery). However, I'm concerned about being in an environment I like, or more specifically with colleagues I mesh well with. This is definitely a superficial detail, but I want to know as much as possible about what I would be getting myself into if I were to go into the field of surgery. Also, bluntly - how attractive are many surgeons? Does the crazy lifestyle tend to cause them to let themselves go a bit..?

How would you describe your colleagues? In as much detail as possible please!
Surgeons are like any other group of people.

Some are married, some are single.

Some are tall, some are short. Some are very attractive, some are very unappealing and most are average. Some "let themselves go", some only with time/age and some maintain healthy weight and habits for a lifetime.

Some are arrogant jackasses, some are quiet nerdy types, some are serious and some are jokesters. Many have "dark" senses of humor which comes with working in a stressful environment (also seen amongst EM workers, morticians, etc.)

Most of my friends here are surgeons and medical oncologists because I moved to a city where I knew no one and that's whom I work with. However, I maintain friendships with HS and college friends as well as friends from med school none of whom are surgeons.

If you're in your teens or 20s, it would not be unusual to find that most surgeons are older, married and "serious". If there's one trait almost all of us have, its attention to detail, being 'Type A" as noted above. That doesn't mean you aren't fun to be around and don't socialize well with others.

Reactions: 4 users

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users