Surgery and class rank

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

M1_futuresurgeon

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!!

I am an M1 in a MD program and I am about to take my first exam. I am really interested in surgery and was wondering if anyone had any advice on things to be involved with to increases my chances of being matched. I am thinking probably general surgery, but not sure. I was also wondering what class rank I need in order to be matched into a general surgery program. I know I may be worrying a little early, but I figured better now than when its too late. I greatly appreciate any responses and advice! Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Get great grades and a good step score....there is no "aim for" number. Simply the highest you can and then sort out the odds once your score comes in

Reactions: 1 users
Get great grades and a good step score....there is no "aim for" number. Simply the highest you can and then sort out the odds once your score comes in
Pretty much the answer to every important quest in life. Do your best and go from there...

Kids these days...

Jk I'm a milennial.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Your goal for the next 15-24 months is to do well enough in classes and prep to do well on Step 1. Also, take some time to shadow as a med student.

Reactions: 1 user
Facebook-No-regrets-c5861f.png

Reactions: 2 users
Just work hard. Don't aim for specific numbers and be like "I'll settle for that". Don't close the doors of opportunity before you get a chance to greet them.