Surgery internship isn't so bad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sponch

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I sometimes look back at internship fondly. It was really the only time that I could go home and not think about work...because someone else was there taking care of ****. Plus the hours weren't all that bad. And when I was off, I was really off. Pager on silent.

I've noticed that the higher up you go, the less you can avoid living and breathing your job. The chiefs are my program are on call for their service 24-7. Sure, they go home and the juniors protect them from b.s. from the floor and consults, but if anything goes wrong they're right there at the bedside or in the OR. And attendings call/text them at all hours.

I guess there's less annoying scut, but there's a whole world of real responsibility added on. Now I have to worry about how patients doing, about how the terns can potentially sabotage me and the chief (a bad tern is worse than no tern), about how to keep the attendings happy.

Members don't see this ad.