Surgery?:/

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really want to be a zoological veterinarian but I'm quite squeamish. For those who have done and watched live surgery and are like me, does it get any easier? I'm hoping you get desensitized to any feelings of disgust but I don't know. Thoughts? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I really want to be a zoological veterinarian but I'm quite squeamish. For those who have done and watched live surgery and are like me, does it get any easier?!

yes

I really want to be a zoological veterinarian but I'm quite squeamish. For those who have done and watched live surgery and are like me, does it get any easier? I'm hoping you get desensitized to any feelings of disgust but I don't know. Thoughts? Thanks!

It gets much cooler once you get over the various smells. As you advance, though, you discover that there are much grosser things than surgery. Impacted anal glands, for instance. Abscesses. Maggots.

Members don't see this ad :)
It gets much cooler once you get over the various smells. As you advance, though, you discover that there are much grosser things than surgery. Impacted anal glands, for instance. Abscesses. Maggots.

Cuterebra.

:gag:

A good friend of mine says that she routinely feels sick watching surgery and was nervous about having to do it this past semester. Got along with no problem. She said it's like being car sick - when you're in the passenger seat, you're miserable. When you're the driver, it's much easier to keep from barfing. :rolleyes:

Once you learn the anatomy, it becomes less "blood and guts" and more specific organs you need to repair/remove and specific vessels and nerves you don't want to accidently cut.

In short, yes.