Surgical Airway Complications [Medical Malpractice Lawsuit]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well the post I responded to was a hypoxic covid patient. But even still I think you guys have a responsibility to be safe, if it isnt safe then shave it off... What is the worst that will happen, a patient complaint to some pointless committee that won't do anything anyways?

Yea, I saw that. And I agree with you. Periop docs should feel empowered to require a 200kg pt with a bad airway to shave their beard in advance of surgery to the tune of canceling the anesthetic if they refuse. As far as I’m concerned it fits under “patient not being optimized for surgery” from an airway management standpoint. In practice, this doesn’t frequently occur though.

Members don't see this ad.

I’ve always wondered if there is an association between enormous beards and mental illness eg anxiety disorder.

I’ve always wondered if there is an association between enormous beards and mental illness eg anxiety disorder.
Do they regularly clean their beards after food?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Well the post I responded to was a hypoxic covid patient. But even still I think you guys have a responsibility to be safe, if it isnt safe then shave it off... What is the worst that will happen, a patient complaint to some pointless committee that won't do anything anyways?
Hospitals definitely need a “but did you die?!?!?” committee that is the first branch point in evaluating complaints.

Reactions: 8 users
Nah. I tell people this isnt IHOP and that their plan of Ivermectin and prayer failed so it was my turn for my plan now and part of that plan was getting the beard off so I can safely take care of the patient. If they are bad enough to need bipap in the ED they are almost always going to be intubated.
Well, I wasn't about to strap the guy down and shave his beard off while he fought and spat at me. Guess I could've sedated him w/ ketamine, shaved his beard and then RSI'd him. Or I could've forcibly made him comfort care. Probably no good options, I felt the best way from a patient care and risk management perspective was to go ahead w/ copious cya documentation.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a head and neck surgeon and I recommend to all my major cases (flaps etc) to shave their beards before surgery. A lot of my patients are the grungy alcoholic smoker types with neglected facial hair. I ask them to shave it off before hand or I will do it during surgery.

Makes everything easier, including post-op wound care.

Reactions: 9 users