surgical fellowships after Air Force FAP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toe2hand

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How difficult is it to start fellowship training directly after completing general surgery residency, if one is enrolled in the Air Force FAP program from the intern year? I've asked this question to my recruiter, but they seem to be tip toeing around the answer.

I understand Uncle Sam determines the slots available depending on the need, but what is the selection criteria? Are some fellowship specialties impossible to obtain if completing the FAP?

Members don't see this ad.

What you are asking is not impossible, but you really need to contact the AF GME office.

It will depend on the if they need what you want to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the OP and others who may read: after initial accession into your respective service your recruiter has almost a 0% chance of holding any useful information for you. Even if they are the most honest guy/gal in the world their training is to know enough info to explain the basics of the program and fill the slots. Staff Sergeant Skippy does not have any real need to know the esoterica of the process (I didn't know this when I went though). As NavyFP said the GME office should be of help. Also, isn't FAP administered by the AFIT CIP Office? They are also often very helpful even if to point you to the right person to ask.

You probably can't go straight into a fellowship. The military generally likes to get a "utilization tour" out of you, then "dangle the carrot" of a fellowship out there to incentivize you to sign on for more time. Not saying it can't happen, but if I were planning, I'd plan on the fellowship being a second tour with the third tour being the payback for the fellowship. At that point, you'd have a tough to decision to make as to whether you want to stay or go.

How difficult is it to start fellowship training directly after completing general surgery residency, if one is enrolled in the Air Force FAP program from the intern year? I've asked this question to my recruiter, but they seem to be tip toeing around the answer.

I understand Uncle Sam determines the slots available depending on the need, but what is the selection criteria? Are some fellowship specialties impossible to obtain if completing the FAP?

I'd say it's probably difficult. They will want you to start your payback right away, and then you will realize the situation that you are in, and whether you think military medicine especially in the AF is something you can live with long term. More than likely they will allow you to make the choice of fellowship, (if its even available), that will add further time commitment.

Good luck

If doing a fellowship is your ultimate goal, I'd reconsider joining the military till you have acheived that goal. They will gladly take you as a trained physician anytime.