Surgical Principles Examination

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Castro Viejo

Papa Clot Buster
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just crossed my mind that this was the first year the ABS was offering the "Surgical Principles Examination" (SPE) for those seeking primary certification in Vascular Surgery without wanting to deal with the General Surgery QE/CE sequences. I was just wondering if anyone had taken it or heard of anyone taking it last Thursday and what he/she thought of the exam... I figured it would be something like ABSITE, if not actual questions derived from old ABSITEs or old QEs.

Members don't see this ad.

..."Surgical Principles Examination" (SPE) for those seeking primary certification in Vascular Surgery ...I figured it would be something like ABSITE, if not actual questions derived from old ABSITEs or old QEs.
I know nothing about the exam.

However, I think the key would be to identify what organization/body is producing the questions for the exam. During GSurgery residency, one of the longstanding and big complaints of the ABSITE was that it did not represent the written/Qual exam and that it was written by a different group/body then the one that actually writes the Qual exam.

JAD