Surgical specialties are the most competitive overall

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

womp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Percent of Unmatched US Seniors in 2014:

Neurosurg: 17.7%
ENT: 17.6%
Plastics: 17.3%
Ortho: 17.1%
--
Derm: 9.1%
Gen Surg: 8.7%
OBGYN: 7.1%
Rad Onc: 6.0%
Psych: 3.6%
EM: 3.4%
Family Med: 3.1%
Peds: 3.0%
Neurology: 2.6%
IM: 2.0%
Anesthesia: 2.0%
Radiology: 1.0%

Obviously there are other factors such as average test scores and self-selection that can alter the competitiveness of a field (such as family med versus radiology), but none of the top 4 surgical subspecialties have low average Step 1 scores either.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 2014 unmatched by specialties.gif
    2014 unmatched by specialties.gif
    56 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
This is depressing. I can't believe nsg and ENT have more unmatched than plastics.

Urology is even higher at 31% unmatched.

It's interesting that Anesthesia is so non-competitive given its high salaries and better lifestyle.

Members don't see this ad :)
what anaesthesia lower percentage than psych. I guess these statistics must be analysed with caution.

what anaesthesia lower percentage than psych. I guess these statistics must be analysed with caution.
It just means there's a relative glut of anesthesia residency spots relative to demand. Anesthesia and Radiology were two fields that expanded significantly in size over past decade.

Reactions: 2 users
i guess some people tend to apply for psychiatry only in big centers, thus the higher failure match rate.

This is depressing. I can't believe nsg and ENT have more unmatched than plastics.
Plastics are more likely to back up with gen surg since it's still a viable path to plastics maybe? Unless these numbers include people that didn't match that field but matched elsewhere, which would skew gs numbers since dual appliers who match their subspecialty would hurt the gs numbers...

I think this is a bad way to gauge competitiveness. And ultimately, does it really matter?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's a bad way to gauge competitiveness, and I hate these "ZOMG MY SPECIALTY IS THE MOST COMPETITIVE BESTEST" threads. The only reason to know how competitive your field is is to give accurate advice to students applying; these epeen measuring contests are stupid.
But we are winning these competitions...

I think it's a bad way to gauge competitiveness, and I hate these "ZOMG MY SPECIALTY IS THE MOST COMPETITIVE BESTEST" threads. The only reason to know how competitive your field is is to give accurate advice to students applying; these epeen measuring contests are stupid.

Whatever. Massive epeen or not, it's to demonstrate that it ain't easy and there were massive risks along the way. 17% unmatched among US MD seniors is not a trivial or easily brushed aside number, a lot of dreams were crushed after a tremendous investment. And for those who made it, to see those numbers is to know how fortunate we were and be thankful for all the people who made it possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Whatever. Massive epeen or not, it's to demonstrate that it ain't easy and there were massive risks along the way. 17% unmatched among US MD seniors is not a trivial or easily brushed aside number, a lot of dreams were crushed after a tremendous investment. And for those who made it, to see those numbers is to know how fortunate we were and be thankful for all the people who made it possible.
Yes, but it doesn't make you more special than someone going into anesthesia, im, or banking for that matter... Use it for internal satisfaction, not for trying to get external recognition...

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, but it doesn't make you more special than someone going into anesthesia, im, or banking [or used car sales or drug dealing] for that matter... Use it for internal satisfaction, not for trying to get external recognition...
Straw man

Last edited:
Straw man
Whatever helps you feel better. My point is I'm satisfied with getting and being in general surgery, not because we are more competitive (and better) than im, but because it's what I wanted to do.

And just because I had statistically harder chance of me matching than my im brethren, doesn't mean my matching should make me feel better than anyone else matching :shrug:

I always thought NSG was supposed to be less competitive than ENT and the likes?

Do you really think that there is a significant difference between 17.7% and 17.6%?

I said I always THOUGHT that it was supposed to be less competitive--based on what people have told me. Wasn't arguing with the data presented, sheesh.

I said I always THOUGHT that it was supposed to be less competitive--based on what people have told me. Wasn't arguing with the data presented, sheesh.
You're missing the point. There was nothing in that data presented that would indicate that what you were told was incorrect.

All these numbers do is make me thank my lucky stars that I have a spot. It all seems so abstract until you see friends or classmates who are good people and jumped through all the same hoops go unmatched. The "OMG my specialty is so awesome and competitive" talk doesn't do anyone any good.

Though out of curiosity, I wonder if the fact that a specialty is competitive makes it more or less likely that med students apply?