Swan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
EVERYONE

Members don't see this ad.

I find the most opinionated residents I've known to be the most intelligent in general. Maybe I'm alone on that, but I think there's something to be said for people who will put their opinion out there and back it up when pressed.

I'd rather have an opinionated resident who's willing to be wrong and take their lumps for being wrong than a resident who is sweet and deferential but is also a hapless/clueless person who can't do simple procedures and cracks at the first sign of pressure, and still screws up just as bad or worse than the former.

The latter resident is about as common as the first in my experience. It's a fine line though between opinionated and overly-confident. But one learns the line over time.
Residents are supposed to voice their opinions?

What a crazy world we live in now.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m comfortable enough in my skillset that I’m more than happy to self flagellate from time to time and share my experience with the tricky ones. But since you clearly need it, PM your address so I can send you a gold star. My toddler loves them.
I like this tenderloin guy.

If it doesn't float easily, I'll quit trying and get back to it later. I've got other more important stuff to do than position a monitor I don't really need, so no rush. Sometimes TEE helps to float it.

If I'm taking off a unit or two of ANH blood, sometimes I'll just connect it sterilely and float it later, because the PA catheter really slows the bloodletting through the introducer.

Our surgeons want them for postop management. Whether or not it's useful to them or the intensivists isn't really something I'm emotionally invested in. It's a fast easy thing to do and we get paid more for it. I'm happy to put them in. There are other hills I'd choose to die on first, if I was in a dying mood.

I love when the patient has a swan. I'd prefer an overabundance of data. Having extensive data most of the times leads to better-informed decisions. 🤷‍♂️

Then on POD 1... REMOVE THE SWAN!

Reactions: 2 users
SWAN does not stand for 'sleep well at night'