Sweating during an interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Clipslicer

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I interview I do fairly well in terms of what I say and eye contact and what not. My only problem is I start sweating at my interviews. Not to the point where I'm drenched in sweat but you can see droplets of sweat coming down my face. It also doesn't help when the interview is in a hot room with no air conditoner.

My question is do you think this matters alot. Also, is there anything I can do to prevent the sweating such as medication or techniques or anything. Thanks alot for any responses.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm really trying not to laugh here. Did you ever see that episode of Ally McBeal where they had a client who was always sweating profusely? He was innocent, but the law firm was nervous about taking the case because they thought that he would look totally guilty sitting in the courtroom with sheets of sweat pouring off of his face.

Seriously, I know lots of people (including my younger brother) who sweat quite a bit regardless of the situation. I'm sure that most admissions committees have seen their share of students who perspire more than usual. And remember, these people are DOCTORS...they have interviewed MANY patients who were probably more than a little nervous. To tell you the truth, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't notice it any more. As long as your not completely drenching your clothes I don't think you have anything to worry about--if you are drenching your clothes, well, consider making a joke about it in the first couple of minutes of the interview, or explain ahead of time that you tend to sweat a lot, and apologize.

Yeah, I'm worried about my palms sweating... even if I am nervous I can interview well and appear relatively normal but my hands always show that I'm nervous and a first impression is always based in part on a handshake right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you put anti-persperant on your face?

How about hypnosis? Okay, it sounds a little out there - but I used it for dental phobia and childbirth and it worked wonders (can't beat a painless childbirth!). For something as simple as that, it would probably only take one session.

Originally posted by Anka
Thanks for the advice everyone. I found the above quote to be particularly interesting. Do you think putting deoderant on my face would work?

I actually tried putting antipersirant on my hands one time. TOTAL MISTAKE!!! I just ended up with sticky goo an my hands, which is a hell of a lot harder to explain away than mere sweat.

Try a different route. I've been pondering this situation myself, and I think that a really good sweaty work out the morning before, followed by a cool shower and plenty of time to bring your heart rate back down are good approaches. Also, if you're worried about your hands, make sure to thouroughly (sp?) wash and dry your hands directly before the interwiew.

Good luck.

I'm not sure. Never tried it. If you try it, just try it on a little bit of your face in case it does something screwy, and don't try it on interview day. I mean, in theory the whole point of anti-persperant is that it stops sweat. Make sure you use a clear brand ;) If you try it, be sure to PM me with the results. While I don't sweat much, it's an interesting experiment.

I just read Nutmeg's post -- I'd follow his advice!

Anka

There are prescription anti-perspirants for hyperhydrosis (excessive sweating). One that I know of is Dry-Sol. I don't know if they can be used on the face. I'd do some on-line research and/or check with your doc.

Better use a clear roll on!! hahahaha

What adds to my problem is the dumb sports jacket that adds to the heat. Has anyone ever asked the interviewer if he could take off his jacket before the interview and just have the shirt and tie? It sounds like a good idea...

Anticholinergics (such as Ditropan or Robinul) are useful for hyperhidrosis, because they reduce sweating due to excessive sympathetic activity, such as when you're stressed during interviews. Obviously, you'll need a prescription for the drug.

Members don't see this ad :)
And if you use something that's gonna play games with neurotransmitters, try it out before you go to make sure you're okay on it.

Hey, I was looking this stuff up and found a real cool phenomenon called "gustatory sweating". Basically, after a parotidectomy the nerves that used to inervate the parotid might go to the facial sweat glands, causing sweating whenever you're hungry/looking at food. *That* would be a real problem.

Anka

I suggest getting those portable "air-conditioning' coolers that you put around your neck at SharperImage. JTN

Originally posted by jtn
I suggest getting those portable "air-conditioning' coolers that you put around your neck at SharperImage. JTN
I looked into that just right now but those things are kind of large so the interviewer would know I was wearing one. It would be cool if they had one that goes under the collar.

You guys are so cute! Take a deep breath. Remember the medical school is not only choosing you guys, but you are actually selecting which med school you want to attend.

Originally posted by PrincetonRocks
Remember the medical school is not only choosing you guys, but you are actually selecting which med school you want to attend.
Easy for you to say. I may have hyperhydrosis which is a medical condition characterized by excessive sweating. I can't just take a deep breath.

carry a handkerchief, and calm down. if you're in a hot room then it's understandable to sweat. i wouldn't take off my jacket unless invited to do so by the interviewer, but just my opinion

Originally posted by vivekap2007
carry a handkerchief, and calm down.

Calming down does not help people with hyperhydrosis. I hope as a doc you don't tell women who are having trouble conceiving to "relax." ;)

Hey, I was looking this stuff up and found a real cool phenomenon called "gustatory sweating". Basically, after a parotidectomy the nerves that used to inervate the parotid might go to the facial sweat glands, causing sweating whenever you're hungry/looking at food. *That* would be a real problem.

Anka

:laugh: :laugh: hilarious!

to the OP: find out what your "sweat triggers" are--i.e. is it more the temperature or the emotion that gets you started? before the interview, chew some really strong mint gum (the receptors for mint, i read somewhere, actually activate the body's cooling mechanisms.) dab ice cold water just under your collar or under the back of your shirt (the jacket covers it, so it won't hopefully look like more sweat. :) ) as the water evaporates it should have a cooling effect. drink a very large glass of ice-cold water before the interview (only if drinks don't "run right through you". and go to the bathroom right before the interview.)

Heck, if all else fails, start a new fashion trend--sport coat w/o a shirt....for that bare-chested appeal...

I have all sorts of problems: sometimes I sweat, sometimes my extremities get freezing cold, sometimes they go numb, I fidget like crazy, etc. AhhhhhhhH!

Originally posted by spumoni620
:laugh: :laugh: hilarious!

to the OP: find out what your "sweat triggers" are--i.e. is it more the temperature or the emotion that gets you started? before the interview, chew some really strong mint gum (the receptors for mint, i read somewhere, actually activate the body's cooling mechanisms.) dab ice cold water just under your collar or under the back of your shirt (the jacket covers it, so it won't hopefully look like more sweat. :) ) as the water evaporates it should have a cooling effect. drink a very large glass of ice-cold water before the interview (only if drinks don't "run right through you". and go to the bathroom right before the interview.)

Heck, if all else fails, start a new fashion trend--sport coat w/o a shirt....for that bare-chested appeal...
:laugh: Yes maybe I should just wear only a tie... But you actually have some really good advice. Thanks.

I remember feeling quite warm during my interviews as well, although I think I would be a little feaked out if one of my interviewers asked if I wanted to take off my suit jacket.

"So, would you like to slip into something a little more comfortable????"

:laugh: :laugh:

hey, you think sweating is bad? I get stomach cramps when I'm nervous and often have to make a dash for the restroom. :laugh:

For the record, its hyperhidrosis, not hyperhydrosis, and I think I have it. I have read that it is also closely related to reddening in the face. If you read Atul Gawande's Complications, there's a chapter on the latter, also mentioning hyperhidrosis in this context. In the chapter, I found interesting advice in stemming redness, which might work for sweating as well. That is to try to make yourself blush. The sweating and blushing response is actually contained in this method.

Relaxation also has something to do with it. Intentionally slowing your breathing by taking forced shallow breaths will calm you down because you're taking in less oxygen, and the more you practice, the better you are able to control your body.

Lastly, pad your pockets, all of your pockets with once folded paper towel pieces, cut so that they fit neatly. Then use as needed. Just quickly slide your hand in and press down. Another favorite of mine is very absorbant socks. Toward the end of the interview, or the beginning if you are a gregarious person, you'll can swing your leg over in a cross and hold one hand on your ankle in a typical respectfully interested pose, at the same time sponging all that ooze.

Lastly for the second time, smile a lot. I have not found any studies verifying this, but then again, i've never looked. However, I feel more open when I smile, and the more i distract them with crooked teeth and piece's of last night's dinner, the less attention i'll bring to my problem. Although problem is a misrepresenatation because we hyperhidroids have very efficient body flushing.

And one more thing, if you don't have time to do the ceremonious wipe before you shake someone's hand on first greeting, don't you dare give them a weak or half shake.

Memoirs from a functional hyperhidroid
Dunga Dunga

Clipslicer, it doesn't matter if you're obviously sweating. You're in a situation that is making you nervous. Show them that you're calm and cool even though you've got some sweat on your face. Hehe

...and don't put any deodorant on your face...

Originally posted by uclakid
Clipslicer, it doesn't matter if you're obviously sweating. You're in a situation that is making you nervous. Show them that you're calm and cool even though you've got some sweat on your face. Hehe

...and don't put any deodorant on your face...
I figured that's all I could do. But the deodorant on my face could be what saves me.

Originally posted by Hanta
I have sweaty palms any remedies for that?
You should put deodorant on your palms.

Just would like to tell everyone that I have been trying Maxim antipersperant which is a special type for those suffering from hyperhidrosis. I put it on my forehead the night before interviews and it works like a charm. There is no more sweat that is visible on my forehead. So for anyone who has this problem, I recommend it.

Originally posted by Clipslicer
Just would like to tell everyone that I have been trying Maxim antipersperant which is a special type for those suffering from hyperhidrosis. I put it on my forehead the night before interviews and it works like a charm. There is no more sweat that is visible on my forehead. So for anyone who has this problem, I recommend it.

I have the same problem, hyperhydrosis... when I was a middle school teacher, my shirts would become drenched under the arms, to the point where I was ruining shirts and spending way too much $$$ on clothes.

Anyways, I went to the doctor and got a prescription for "Drysol", which a prescription antipersperant (aluminum chloride hexahydrate 20%. Works wonders... and yes, it works on your face too. You are NOT supposed to use it on your face or anywhere else. But for my med school interview, to avoid any embarassing sweat, I did roll a bit on my face and it did the trick.

I tried EVERY single over the counter anti-persperent/deoderant available, but nothing did the trick except this magic Drysol.

OldMD

Originally posted by OldMD
I have the same problem, hyperhydrosis... when I was a middle school teacher, my shirts would become drenched under the arms, to the point where I was ruining shirts and spending way too much $$$ on clothes.

Anyways, I went to the doctor and got a prescription for "Drysol", which a prescription antipersperant (aluminum chloride hexahydrate 20%. Works wonders... and yes, it works on your face too. You are NOT supposed to use it on your face or anywhere else. But for my med school interview, to avoid any embarassing sweat, I did roll a bit on my face and it did the trick.

I tried EVERY single over the counter anti-persperent/deoderant available, but nothing did the trick except this magic Drysol.

OldMD
Yes I have heard of that. Maxim can be bought over the internet without a prescription and it has about 15% of aluminum chloride. So it helps for moderate cases such as mine. It is less as strong as drysol since it is not a prescription drug.