Switch from IMG to AMG ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lordman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I am International medical student ( 5th year in 6 years MD program), I want to ask if it is possible to switch to American medical school to be AMG...
We don't have 4 year program before Medical education, only 6 MD program after Secondary school. Do they will consider any of these 5 years of medical education ?
I don't mind if I lose few years of my life to be AMG...Did any do that before?
Do you have any information about that ?

I hold U.S citizenship too.

P.S: I posted that topic here...since Allopathic students know the guidelines well & know if people like my case succeeded in Transforming!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
As I am International medical student ( 5th year in 6 years MD program), I want to ask if it is possible to switch to American medical school to be AMG...
We don't have 4 year program before Medical education, only 6 MD program after Secondary school. Do they will consider any of these 5 years of medical education ?
I don't mind if I lose few years of my life to be AMG...Did any do that before?
Do you have any information about that ?

I hold U.S citizenship too.

P.S: I posted that topic here...since Allopathic students know the guidelines well & know if people like my case succeeded in Transforming!

At this point of your education, it would not be a wise idea to transfer. Let's say that you have met all the requirements to be eligible to apply to a US medical school, i.e., good academic standing, took all the necessary classes (English, Math, Sciences [organic chem/gen chem], etc), and then you have a school that is willing to look at your application. Let's say you have all of these going, it would not be a good idea because the process takes more than 1 year before you can matriculate. You would have to take the MCAT by this COMING summer, apply, interview, then be accepted. However, you wouldn't be matriculated until Fall of 2012. By that time, you would have graduated in your said international medical school (may or June 2012) if you did stay.

Therefore, my advice to you is as followed: 1) Do away with the idea of transfer to a US med school and stick with your said international medical school, but in the mean time study for Step 1, 2. Then, try if you can enter the US match system, where it would be possible to match to a US residency program. or 2)contact Ross University, explain to them that you want to transfer to their program if that's want you REALLY WANT. I don't think you need to take the MCAT for Ross at this point of your education. I think this school might be suitable for you because at the stage you are right now, you would do your 3rd or 4th @ a hospital in the US mainland. Still, they would want you to pass Step 1. Moreover, you could start in theory as soon as you can if you meet their requirement

PS: If you already took the MCAT (no later than 3 years ago), passed Step 1, be at a stage where you are about to begin a US med equivalent of 3rd year, and your school is an AAMC affiliate (something like that), then there is a very slim chance, but a chance nonetheless that you can transfer to a US med school and begin your rotation by this coming SUMMER, not Fall 2012. However, the possibility remains remote as this is very hard to do even for students who are currently matriculated at US med school, AND worst in your case as you almost complete US equivalent of a 3rd med school!!!!!

Last edited:
The chances are very, very slim. Many US schools won't consider applicants who have previously attended medical school. Those that might will want a damn good reason why you decided you'd rather throw away 5/6 of an MD and take a spot from someone else just so you can say you graduated in the US.

Presumably you want to be an AMG for the purposes of gaining a US residency (can't think of any other advantage off the top of my head). Landing a US residency with your IMG MD would be an order of magnitude easier than what you're proposing.

Last edited:
Thank you very much both robu058 & WellWornLad.
It seems that I have to through my idea, even for Ross Univ it is still IMG.
I think it was my fault that I did not use my U.S citizenship in order to apply for U.S medical school in the past...
All of my awards at Secondary school, very high mark in General Secondary School Exam & present medical school would go to trash:(...This is very painful for me as IMG when it is almost impossible for me to apply for competitive residency programs!!
Although these programs would be easy if I planned well after secondary school:bang:.

Thanks again & happy new year