Switch from PA to pre med?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMDream

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a sophomore in a BS PA program. I started my college career with the idea of going to medical school, but I somewhere second guessed myself and thought, when would I have time to raise a family? The idea of being in school until my thirties, (I am 22 now) was something that made me think I would be limited in a family respect so I researched PA school and at the last minute (and I do mean last, i interviewed in april and started in september) applied to one and got accepted. So I jsut finished my first semester in the program technically thirs year of school. But everytime I watch trauma, read anything medically related or think of my future I found myself feeling like I'm falling short and that my ultimate goal is still to be a doctor. So Winter break is almost over and I'm really labouring over my decision. I looked up the biology degree requirements at my school and I could realistically be done in a year and a half including this next semester. So I'm giving myself a few more days to pour over this before I email the chair of biology to discuss a change of major. I also wonder if I could get physics 1 done this semester and take physics 2 in the summer in time to take the August 2005 mcat. The only other prereq that is absolutely necessary for me to go into the mcat with is organic 2 which i can take this semester as well.

So I guess I'm just looking for any thoughts and opinions. Suggestions. I think I know in my heart switching to PA was a knee jerk reaction to my fears about career dominating my life and having no room for children.

I should also mention that I am a Canadian student studying in the USA. This obviously will make it that much harder to get into med scool should i switch. I have been with my boyfriend a US citizen for five years, and we have been discussing marriage. I am wodering if I should take that plunge as awful as it sounds, sooner rather than later because it may work to my advantage to at least get permanent residency. Though I don't know if realistically, it can be accomplished int he time slot I am working within. One other thing is he is applying to medical school for 2006, so if I did take the mcat this aug, we'd be competing against each other which sounds kind of weird.

Please excuse any typos, I am jittery with stress over this decision and typing a mile a minute. Any input from other premeds would be nice, I've discussed it with my family but they don't have a completely clear idea of what this whole thing entails!

Thanks for listening.

Members don't see this ad.

Reach for your dreams; if that's what you want go for it! If you have an understanding bf he'll stand by you. I know plenty of female doctors who can do both medicine and raise a family. :thumbup: :luck:

go to med school

it sounds like that's what you really want to do. Don't let the family issue be a reason not to go- plenty of familes (mine included) do fine even with 2 physician parents. You only live once- do what you love. No amount of free time is going to replace the rewards of a career you are truly commited to.

Members don't see this ad :)
EMDream said:
I also wonder if I could get physics 1 done this semester and take physics 2 in the summer in time to take the August 2005 mcat. The only other prereq that is absolutely necessary for me to go into the mcat with is organic 2 which i can take this semester as well.

I believe you should apply to medical school. However, I think you are placing unnecessary (and potentially transcript damaging) stress by taking Physics 1 with laboratory and Organic 2 with laboratory in the same semester, followed by a helping of Physics 2 with laboratory in the summer coupled with MCAT preparation.

My recommendation: slow down. Take those courses across semesters this year, allow yourself ample time without pre-med prerequisites during the spring of 2006, take the April 2006 MCAT, and apply for the entering class of 2007. If you go gangbusters right now you could be setting yourself up for frustrating and failure just to save a single year. Two physics courses, an organic course, three laboratories, and MCAT preparation is too much for eight months, if your goal is to score highly.

I hope this helps, and good luck. If you've got the motivation, I'm sure you'll make it!

22 y.o. is nothing! I'm 28 and doing it, and there are people older with families doing it.

Go for it if it feels right. Or keep both options open if that is a possibility in terms of classes while you figure it out. I know so many PAs turned physicians. It depends on the person and his/her goals.

Again, 22yo is nothing. Forget about that factor, imo.

I understand your dilemma completely. Last year at this time, I was debating multiple careers in the health care field. Up until June 2004, I had decided to become a PA. After months of 'soul-searching', I realized that this wasn't the right choice for me, and becoming an MD was the best way for me to reach my dreams.

Since you are still in undergrad, it is definitely not too late to change your mind on your future plans. You sound like you would really like to be an MD, and I say go for it! You may regret it if you don't. GOOD LUCK! :luck:

i wanted to be doctor since high school.

i'm a PA.

i'm going back to med school.

i took the PA route because i had put doctors up on this unobtainable intellectual pedestal, and i couldn't see myself in school for that long. so now i'm two years out from my PA school (master's program) and realize i'd be looking forward to residency in july had i gone the traditional M.D. route.

through all this, i've realized i've got what it takes to be a good doc. if you wanna be a doctor, you won't be happy as a PA.

i would stick with the B.S. PA program you're in though and pick up the additional medicine pre-reqs along the way. you may still decide PA is what's right for you somewhere down the road (one of my classmates was accepted to med school and chose PA instead actually), and you get great experience with the clinical requirements of the degree. i feel very confident about my chance for success in med school having gone through PA school.

and, don't forget, what do pre-med students do if they don't get into med school right away? you could be working as a PA, makin' great dough, gettin' great experience all while strengthening your application for the next go round'.

Thanks guys, you've given me food for thought.

I should mention also that I have around a 3.67 GPA cummulative at this point. Not bad, not super. Another worry about staying in PA, is if my GPA will take a beating in didactic year. If it hasn't already this semester (21 credits :/) still awaiting my grades. That could definitely hurt me later on if I decided to go for med school.

I'm just going to keep pondering the pros and cons of both over the weekend I guess. Right now I am definitely leaning towards swtiching to pre med, but we'll see....