Switching from FM to Neurology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jeretere

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am an IMG who applied to several Neurology and a handful of FM programs as back up. I ended up matching into FM. What are the odds that I will be able to switch to a Neurology Program after the intern year? Does anyone have any experience switching specialties?
TIA

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I would not recommend changing specialties before finishing your residency first. If you tell your program that you are leaving for neurology, the might not like it. There are also limited PGY-2 spots.

You also may have trouble having your intern year approved as a medicine internship depending on the composition of your FM intern year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
I am an IMG who applied to several Neurology and a handful of FM programs as back up. I ended up matching into FM. What are the odds that I will be able to switch to a Neurology Program after the intern year? Does anyone have any experience switching specialties?
TIA

Its possible, I remember meeting several people like that on interview trails. But only if your FM program is very very supportive.

Its tough to switch specialties now for lots of reasons, however it’s possible…. Inbox me if you need help with anything