Switching from FM to Psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

teetotaler14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
:bookworm:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Try again, but just know that it could create a problem for your PD in filling your spot. You can also complete FM as you only have 2 more years and be double-boarded in both. Which is not necessarily a bad thing......

Members don't see this ad :)
One thing I was wondering - is it easier or harder to get into psych as a resident applying for an advanced spot than as a med student applying for a PGY-1 spot? In other words, if a program rejected my application when I applied as a med student through the match, should I give up hope of getting in there now that I'm a FM resident? And is there a way of bringing up the possibility of switching fields to my PD without offending him?

Last edited:
Well, you'll piss him off more if you just do it without talking to him first. If he's a decent guy he knows that mentoring young physicians is part of his job and he'll want to to help you figure it out and connect you to useful resources. My IM program director was like that. But no guarantees. And my situation was a bit different. I was a competitive applicant in a competitive IM program who changed her mind. I took a hit in prestige points to switch specialities. But it was still a good program. Just not one of the "names". No regrets. :). Well, lots of regrets. But not about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk