switching from IM to ob/gyn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nepal

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 34 year old married male, and we have a 2 year old.
I am currently completing the first year of my internal medicine residency-categorical program. I am currently interviewing for ob/gyn. I wanted to apply for ob/gyn last year but had some reservations about 1) being a male 2)liability of the field 3) challenging residency and 4) being older.
I have had some time to reflect and realized that my reservations were not that important if ob/gyn is was I really want to do. Internal medicine is something that I can live with. I am not crazy about it, but I believe that I am competent for my level of training and feel that my confidence continues to improve; however, I have concluded that if I am going to see patients 2 and 3 in the morning, it better be for something that I really love-ob/gyn is certainly one of those things.
At this point, I have two concerns. First, I am almost two years from being done with IM. Not sure if I am interested in pursuing a fellowship, but feel that I have to since being a primary care doc is my more and more drudgery these days.
The second issue is that my gender may have significant bearing on employment opportunities. Several individuals have said that there are more opportunities for females to join practices than males.
What do you think? Suggestions/advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Probably better to ask the baby catchers about what kind of job opportunities you will have. If you are going to do Gyn or catch babies then why put yourself through IM? If you are going to change then change and save yourself a couple of years.