Switching from optom school to med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oculopathy

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a first-year OD student and am considering switching to med school with the interest of several specialties (of course ophth is included).

About me:
I'm 33 years old. My undergrad GPA is considerably low (3.16) but I finished my bsc (bio/chem) with a streak of 20 "A's" and several 4.0 semesters. I've continued that trend and am sitting at a 4.0 in optometry school. I scored in the 91st percentile for the OAT and believe I can achieve around a 515 for the MCAT as well. I have a decent healthcare background as I've worked as a CNA, was a licensed EMT, and worked in an optometric clinic for 2 years. Some volunteering as well. I also have 3 strong LOR: 2 from OD's, 1 from O-chem professor.

Would schools look at my stats favorably enough for admittance? I know I would be satisfied working as an OD, but I feel like I could/should be doing more in terms of patient care.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
First of all, I respect anyone who wants to seek out more education in their field, so I think this is a good goal. What is your undergraduate science GPA? A streak of 20 A's and several 4.0 semesters is awesome, was that mostly or all science classes? Until you take a practice exam for the MCAT I would be wary of expecting a certain score, since I think of 515 is around 90th percentile for the MCAT as well, which almost undoubtably has a much stronger test taking pool than the OAT.

Anyways, a huge streak of A's in science classes definitely makes up at least somewhat for a low undergraduate GPA. In terms of your narrative for applying to medical school, I think it is fairly reasonable to say that you liked working with patients as an OD, but wanted more in-depth knowledge and to be ultimately responsible for patient care. RNs and PAs go to medical school for the same reasons and adcoms seem to be receptive of that.

Reactions: 3 users
First of all, I respect anyone who wants to seek out more education in their field, so I think this is a good goal. What is your undergraduate science GPA? A streak of 20 A's and several 4.0 semesters is awesome, was that mostly or all science classes? Until you take a practice exam for the MCAT I would be wary of expecting a certain score, since I think of 515 is around 90th percentile for the MCAT as well, which almost undoubtably has a much stronger test taking pool than the OAT.

Anyways, a huge streak of A's in science classes definitely makes up at least somewhat for a low undergraduate GPA. In terms of your narrative for applying to medical school, I think it is fairly reasonable to say that you liked working with patients as an OD, but wanted more in-depth knowledge and to be ultimately responsible for patient care. RNs and PAs go to medical school for the same reasons and adcoms seem to be receptive of that.
Yes the vast majority were not only science classes, but almost all were 300+ level courses as it was when switched my major to bio w/ a chem minor. I don't see my sGPA listed on my transcript but could figure that out.

Any idea how repeated courses are calculated into the GPA for med school? Is the lower score replaced or is it the average of all attempts? That 3.16 cGPA is based upon former.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes the vast majority were not only science classes, but almost all were 300+ level courses as it was when switched my major to bio w/ a chem minor. I don't see my sGPA listed on my transcript but could figure that out.

Any idea how repeated courses are calculated into the GPA for med school? Is the lower score replaced or is it the average of all attempts? That 3.16 cGPA is based upon former.

With a compelling and thoughtful narrative as to "Why" you want to become a physician after going to OD school would actually make you a bit more unique than most other applicants. So there is that.

However, as @YCAGA mentioned, there is no way of telling what MCAT score you would get based on other exams you've taken previously. MCAT is truly a monster in my opinion. However, if you really do get 515 (ideally above 517), I definitely think you have a great chance provided that you describe your motivation really well.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm a first-year OD student and am considering switching to med school with the interest of several specialties (of course ophth is included).

About me:
I'm 33 years old. My undergrad GPA is considerably low (3.16) but I finished my bsc (bio/chem) with a streak of 20 "A's" and several 4.0 semesters. I've continued that trend and am sitting at a 4.0 in optometry school. I scored in the 91st percentile for the OAT and believe I can achieve around a 515 for the MCAT as well. I have a decent healthcare background as I've worked as a CNA, was a licensed EMT, and worked in an optometric clinic for 2 years. Some volunteering as well. I also have 3 strong LOR: 2 from OD's, 1 from O-chem professor.

Would schools look at my stats favorably enough for admittance? I know I would be satisfied working as an OD, but I feel like I could/should be doing more in terms of patient care.
The conventional wisdom around here is that if you would be happy doing anything other than medicine, then do that instead. Medicine is just too difficult, time consuming, and not rewarding enough if you would be happy with a different career.

Reactions: 2 users

Every grade you have ever earned in a college level course is counted towards your GPAs. No grade replacement in MD or DO.

Both attempts are factored into the GPAs, just as if they were unrelated courses.

AMCAS BCPM includes: https://students-residents.aamc.org/media/7861/download

AACOMAS for DO med schools does things differently: AACOMAS Course Subjects

About me:

Didn’t you mention in another thread that your undergrad GPA was a 2.51 when you got accepted to optometry school? How is it a 3.16 now? Lol

Reactions: 1 user
Didn’t you mention in another thread that your undergrad GPA was a 2.51 when you got accepted to optometry school? How is it a 3.16 now? Lol
The 2.51 is based on the latter.

Reactions: 1 users