Switching from Psychiatry to OB/GYN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psych2obgynswitch

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

First-time poster here and in need of advice (thank you all so much in advance!). I am finishing up my PGY1 year in psychiatry. When I was an MS4, I struggled with the decision of OB/GYN vs. psychiatry. I decided to pursue the latter field with the intention of going into reproductive/women's mental health (being a guy, this still raises eyebrows, even within the psychiatry community). Now a year into my psychiatry residency, I miss Ob/Gyn and regret not choosing to pursue it. Last month, I worked with the OB/GYN team on our hospital's consult-liaison service, and I jived really well with them. I loved the MFM, Onc, and REI cases that we saw together... and, moreover, I feel as if they are my 'people' (if that makes sense?); while I think psychiatry is a wonderful and fascinating field of medicine, I don't find it to be all that rewarding.

Of note--My current PD is aware and has been incredibly supportive. With all that said...

1. Does anyone have experience switching INTO Ob/Gyn from another field, particularly a non-surgical field like psychiatry?

2. I assume that I would have to fill out ERAS/NRMP this summer/fall for a PGY1 spot beginning in Fall 2015?

3. I'm now 1-2 full years out of medical school and the core OB/GYN clerkship + elective/sub-I experience. I spoke with my old OB/GYN clerkship director and PD, and they both were willing to write letters of recommendation on my behalf. Not sure how much weight those will carry, being as how I'm so far out?

4. Given my stats, am I competitive for a spot at an East Coast program (geography is important) in NYC/Philly/New England? They are as follows:
Grades: Honors (OB/Gyn, Psych, Peds, Neurology, EM) and HPs (Medicine, Surgery)
Step 1: 230s
Step 2 CK: mid-240s
Step 2 CS: Pass
Step 3: We'll see!

Thank you so much for your time and your help!

:)

Members don't see this ad.

You should do fine. Your step 1/2 scores are competitive. Your third year med school grades are solid. You should be able to get interviews. Just apply broadly. Be prepared to answer why you want to change. I'm not exactly what you mean by reproductive/women's mental health and what a psychiatrist would specifically do in this regard.

Either way, the interviews will be the main weeding out process since you are jumping ship from one residency into another, which isn't a huge deal since you are leaving on good terms and seem bright. But have a good reason and probably be able to discuss the potential challenges, such as now being in the OR, dealing with physically demanding night calls, etc.

From what I understand, you would fill out eras, get letters of rec etc and apply like normal.