Switching into rad-onc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrAwsome

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you guys provide some advice for someone hoping to switch into rad onc from another specialty? Have someone in rads wanting to make the switch to Rad-onc, but they don't have any research in Rad-onc. I have suggested that it will likely be difficult for them to switch, particularly with no residency program at their institution.

I being newish to rad-onc myself am not sure what suggestions to provide other than doing some research/outside electives.

Any additional recommendations you guys think I can provide to this person for improving their chances of switching? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Would also very much like some information on this subject (also rads wanting to switch into rad onc)

I've seen this lately a number of times (the rads to rad onc switcharoo). What makes you want to switch into rad onc?

I've seen this lately a number of times (the rads to rad onc switcharoo). What makes you want to switch into rad onc?

We use radiology/scans a lot in the course of our work, and have to feel comfortable reviewing multiple modalities of imaging including CT, MR, and PET/CT. That may interest some radiologists who also have an interest in patient care/contact and long-term F/U of those patients.

Members don't see this ad :)
We use radiology/scans a lot in the course of our work, and have to feel comfortable reviewing multiple modalities of imaging including CT, MR, and PET/CT. That may interest some radiologists who also have an interest in patient care/contact and long-term F/U of those patients.

That would make sense. :)
Also where did you guys find research?

Last edited:
Just really, really miss patients, way more than I expected to. Didn't think it would be that big of a deal as a 4th year med student, but you can never really get an accurate impression of what the day to day will be like as a resident.

My numbers are good (267/263), good letters, but the research thing is what would hamstring me. I wouldn't be opposed to taking a year off to do some research to bolster my application...does anyone know of any research fellowships that are open to people who have already graduated med school?

Sorry I had to comment on your name. Bahahaah Itchy and Scratchy Land!