switching to FM...any advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

artvandale

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am currently an EM PGY1 and have decided to switch to FM...since its too late to apply for the upcoming match i was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to go about this

should i just email program directors directly?
what documents would i need to send?
will i get credit for some of this year?

thanks for your help

Members don't see this ad.

i am currently an EM PGY1 and have decided to switch to FM...since its too late to apply for the upcoming match i was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to go about this

should i just email program directors directly?
what documents would i need to send?
will i get credit for some of this year?

thanks for your help

You'd have to sign outside the match, too late for scramble, I think. I'd contact programs directly, or just decided to sit out a year, or do one more year of EM while you are applying through ERAS next season.

How much (if any) credit you get would depend on the program and their curriculum.

Good luck.

You'd have to sign outside the match, too late for scramble, I think. I'd contact programs directly, or just decided to sit out a year, or do one more year of EM while you are applying through ERAS next season.

How much (if any) credit you get would depend on the program and their curriculum.

Good luck.

I agree. You might get credit for ER (1 mo), ICU (1 mo), Medicine (1 mo), or OB (1 mo). Our EM residents rotate through theses services their first year-work side by side with FM residents at times.

Members don't see this ad :)
A friend of mine is thinking of switching into Family Medicine. Isn't there a website somewhere that will list the open PGY2 spots to possibly go into? I thought I saw it somewhere sometime in my surfing ...

good decision
ER just sucks the life out of me
it is the dumping ground of everythiing under the sun
i can't do it
FM is much better