Syrian refugee dentist , I need Advices

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drmeemo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello every one,
I'm Syrian , I completed my second year at Endodontic master in Aleppo University-Syria
but because of war , I had to leave the university and now I'm looking for any university in the World to complete my study,

any advices? scholarships? cheap fees universities?
Europe? Australia? USA ? Canada? Any place teaches in English!!

:scared::scared::scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Dear friend,
First of all, I would like to express my sincere condolences on the loss of innocent lives as a result of current situation in Syria. Hope the war comes to an end soon!

In order to be able to practice dentistry anywhere, you have to acquire a license to practice. In your case since your post-graduate education (Endo) is not completed, probably you have to apply as a general dentist since the dental degree is the highest degree you are holding currently. The chances of applying somewhere and getting accepted and continuing from where you left is nearly zero.

In the US and Canada, you have to apply to a certain program (usually a 2-year program), generally termed "International Dentist Program" in various universities in both countries. (the name of the program may differ in some universities and the program is the 3rd and 4th year of the regular dental program of the university, basically.)

The admission requirements for most of these programs are the same, may have some minor differences, and are the following:

1- Evidence of a dental degree from a foreign country (which you have currently)

2- Taking NBDE part I exam (National Board Dental Examination) --->A passing score is required (75% and above) and can be taken in the US or Canada only.

Some schools might require both part I & II, e.g Loma Linda University in California.

3- TOEFL language exam (required passing score for each university may differ)

4- Evaluation of your dental degree (subject by subject) by an agency (either WES or ECE)

5- 3 letters of recommendation (for example from dean, faculty member of your school and a dentist you know)

And when you are ready with all these, you have to submit your documents via a centralized system of application called CAAPID. There are deadlines for each university. Your documents will be received and reviewed by the universities you have selected. They will evaluate your application and if they decide you are a potential candidate, they will call you for an interview. After the interviews, there is a waiting time again, since they filter the applicants in each step (by evaluation and then the interviews) and after this they will notify the applicants who are accepted to the program.

This was a summary, but I suggest you to keep reading this forum, after some time you will become familiar with the whole process.

Good luck!

PS: about Europe and Australia, search the forum and maybe some people will write if they notice your post..

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
thank you for the reply ,
about the two years I have to intend , how much they cost nearly ? and is there a chance to get a loan for that?
as you know we have some Visa problems because of our nationality :D

thanks any way :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, regarding the cost, although it depends on the university and can be different of course, you are looking at something between, $180,000 to 230,000...or generally in the $200,000-range...

If you are a US citizen/permanent resident, you can apply for the federal loan but if not, then your only option is the bank loan...

Visa issue of course is unpredictable but again many people are able to get visas to the US from those countries that have bad diplomatic relationship with the US.

i'd like to know more info about private loans, im an international dental student (4th year) and im planning to come to the us and do the ndbe part 1 and the TOEFL exam, but my plan is to come as a student with F1 visa, and therefore im not gonne be able to apply for student loan, but what are the regulations regarding private loan and will it cover the entire cost of the 2yrs?