Tail Coverage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cast129

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Seems that most places offer tail insurance for hospitalist but I have run across a couple that do not unless you work for the group for 2 to 3 years. I have done some research and found that tail coverage can cost anywhere from 50-150k depending on specialty. My question to you guys is: IS this a deal breaker for you?

Members don't see this ad.

If they don't offer tail coverage and they don't pay you enough to make up the difference if you have to cover it yourself, then yes, I'd consider that a deal breaker.

Reactions: 1 user
For Hospitalist, is Tail coverage really THAT expensive? I thought it's usually 200% of whatever they pay premium. Which usually be around 3k-7k and that would mean 5K to 14K Tail fee?

Members don't see this ad :)
For Hospitalist, is Tail coverage really THAT expensive? I thought it's usually 200% of whatever they pay premium. Which usually be around 3k-7k and that would mean 5K to 14K Tail fee?

Sounds about right.

If they don't offer tail coverage and they don't pay you enough to make up the difference if you have to cover it yourself, then yes, I'd consider that a deal breaker.
Would/could you use umbrella insurance (say from your home insurance company) as tail coverage?

One of my friends left a hospitalist job in Texas (doctor friendly state) after 2.5 years of employment. His employer did not cover tail and the total cost of him buying tail insurance upon leaving the job was about $5,700. He had no previous claims and this was his first job right out of residency. There is one data point for those wondering.

DrMetal, most jobs will not accept umbrella insurance as tail coverage where I am located.

Would/could you use umbrella insurance (say from your home insurance company) as tail coverage?
No.

Tail coverage cost is going to be almost entirely state dependent. It will be peanuts in Texas or Wisconsin and absurd amounts of money in Florida or Pennsylvania. Everywhere else in between