Take current MCAT or 2015?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaseyNCHS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the MCAT and got a balanced 28 (10 BS, 9 PS, 9 VR)

I'm a rising senior but I'm taking a gap year after college. I know a 28 is at the bottom for med school acceptances, therefore I want to retake and try to do better. The first time I took the MCAT, I only studied for two weeks and only did content review and no practice tests (Foolish I know). I'm sure if I take more time to study and do practice tests then I could do better.

My question is: Do you guys think it is better to take the current MCAT, which means I'd have to study for the exam while taking 16 hours this semester, or would it be better to take the MCAT2015 next summer, meaning I'd have to study for more material but not have other classes in the way? I'm taking psychology and could take sociology next semester if I needed to. I don't know what to expect from the new MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

Take the test you are better suited for. If you have little to no psychology and sociology under your belt, then why add more topics to your study list? If you have had courses in those areas, then why not wait for the new exam when you'll have an advantage in that area? Only you have enough information about you to make the call.

Of course if schools ignore the new section during the transition year in the application process, then it's a moot point. But the people at AAMC have messed with the scoring system to force the issue and have the new section noticed at least. I'm assuming that a 10 BS, 9 PS, 9 VR will be considered comparable to a 127 BS, 126 PSofPS, 126 VR, and 126 SocPsy. Getting 130 to 132 on the Soc/Psy section could only help I suspect, but getting 126 or lower would hurt you. Are you better than the average MCAT test taker in those areas to get a soc/psy score to standout?

Members don't see this ad :)
Take the current MCAT! You are already familiar with the test format and content. It would be very annoying to have to restart studying for a whole new format and a bunch of new content. It may be tough to study for the test while having a full semester of classes, but you should keep in mind that you have a head start compared to your first time studying. Just work hard and stay focused throughout the semester. You can do it!

I took the MCAT and got a balanced 28 (10 BS, 9 PS, 9 VR)

I'm a rising senior but I'm taking a gap year after college. I know a 28 is at the bottom for med school acceptances, therefore I want to retake and try to do better. The first time I took the MCAT, I only studied for two weeks and only did content review and no practice tests (Foolish I know). I'm sure if I take more time to study and do practice tests then I could do better.

My question is: Do you guys think it is better to take the current MCAT, which means I'd have to study for the exam while taking 16 hours this semester, or would it be better to take the MCAT2015 next summer, meaning I'd have to study for more material but not have other classes in the way? I'm taking psychology and could take sociology next semester if I needed to. I don't know what to expect from the new MCAT.

As someone who has taken the trial section for MCAT 2015 I would recommend to avoid it if you can. Unfortunately I may end up taking it myself.

DO NOT take the new MCAT. You can still take the current MCAT in January; that's more than enough time, you get a Christmas break for concentrated study, and the 28 is already a great baseline.