take longer and make better grades??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Omidjoon

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would it be smarter to complete my Degree (History with a double Minor in Biology and Chemistry to fit in my Pre-reqs and have them count towards something) in 4 years and take more classes and risk having lower grades, or to take that extra year and make better grades... would it look bad on my application to finish graduating in 5 years instead of 4?? :( :(

Members don't see this ad.

It is all about the numbers. Do what you gotta do to get the highest GPA possible along with relevant extra curriculars. Don't worry about an extra year if that is what you want to do. But if you've got a 3.5 and you are not gunning for Harvard there is no reason to do an extra year.

well if you dont think you can keep a competitive gpa doing it in four years than i suppose taking the extra year would be best. but if getting those minors is whats putting you over the top, give them up, minors are relatively worthless. doing it in 4 shouldnt be too hard though...

Members don't see this ad :)
I have the same dilemma. I decided to stay an extra year.

A complete dollar bill is better than a 3/4 of a dollar bill(which won't buy you crap).

Life is not a race and the sooner premeds realize this the less depressed they will be. The problem is that most of us are PSYCHOS!!!

GPA GPA GPA - I am staying 5 years for the same reason, although I switched my major (IS) to my minor, and my minor (Biology) to my major. Had I not, I would be taking 20 hours a semester, which is not a good thing when all your upper level courses are Biology, Biochem, and Chem with labs...

deuist said:
Take the long route to success.
Agreed. The biggest mistake made in the application process is to rush things. This isn't a race, and in the greater scheme of things, one year or two in your professional life really won't mean much in what for some might be a 40+ year career. Lots of folks are starting this whole thing a lot later, the average matriculant age is inching up higher yearly. Do what you have to do to get the scores you need to be competitive.

Law2Doc said:
Agreed. The biggest mistake made in the application process is to rush things. This isn't a race, and in the greater scheme of things, one year or two in your professional life really won't mean much in what for some might be a 40+ year career. Lots of folks are starting this whole thing a lot later, the average matriculant age is inching up higher yearly. Do what you have to do to get the scores you need to be competitive.

I actually like being two years removed from college. That small age difference really seemed to make quite an impact to both me and the adcoms who interviewed me.