take mcat in summer or during post bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychme

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I havent taken the mcat yet. I will be doing a post bacc somehwere. I know some programs offer prep for the mcat. im worried about how much time I will have to prepare for the mcat during the post bacc.

should i take it over the summer or do it during the year?

Members don't see this ad.

I assume then that you are doing a GPA enhancer post Bacc? I am doing the same thing, and I will be taking my MCAT in August. I think this is best because I need to do amazingly during my post Bacc year, so I won't have time to do MCAT studying, which is most likely your situation as well. Good luck!

I assume then that you are doing a GPA enhancer post Bacc? I am doing the same thing, and I will be taking my MCAT in August. I think this is best because I need to do amazingly during my post Bacc year, so I won't have time to do MCAT studying, which is most likely your situation as well. Good luck!
But the negative of an August MCAT is that it is late for that med school cycle.

You don't get your score back until September, in which case you have to (should) submit primaries without knowing your MCAT score. If you wait, September is late to be sumbitting a primary and if you have any red flags/holes in your application - then they just got a lot bigger.

Bottom line - an August MCAT has its drawbacks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be aiming for an April 2013 MCAT. Even though I'll be enrolled in two courses, I plan on taking an evangical from my research job, which will allow me to focus on MCAT studying as if it was a full time job.

I feel that this is best because I'll still be able to focus on finals and, more importantly, submit an early application.

You're right robflanker, I should have specified that I'm not applying until NEXT cycle, so that is why I am doing August, and still have all year to review during my postbacc if I need a retake. But I'm doing August to hopefully avoid having to retake/take up too much of my post bacc time with MCAT prep if I study hard enough and take it seriously.

I plan to take it in June. Gives you time to study after classes conclude and it still gives you time to apply early. My program doesn't have an mcat prep course, though. If it did I think I would still take it in June.