take or not take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

synapse

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey... can you give me some advice?

i am enrolled in a summer course. the class is based on a curve, so only 10 people can get As. There are a lot of geniuses in the class. Should I drop the course?

Benefits of staying:
-Less class during school year (can focus on Mcat)

Disadvantages of staying:
-risk of not getting an A... anything less than an A (will hurt bio GPA)

So it is a gamble. Should I stay in the class or not?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You can't finish top 10? Channel your inner gunner and rock those other kids!

How many people total are in the class (meaning, how many people do you have to outcompete)?

Members don't see this ad :)
11 total in the class. :D

Forgive me. I just couldn't resist.

there are (i think) 96 people in the class... :(

synapse said:
there are (i think) 96 people in the class... :(

That is not so many people. 10% get an A ... that is pretty typical. I would take it.

it's really 20 percent get As... but that includes A minuses. So, I am assuming 10 percent get solid As.

Anyway, I am not very smart. I usually get As in my Bio classes, but that's because I depend on the curve (classes are usually 400 people, which means 40 solid As).

Summer classes are a lot smaller. There are a lot of smart people in my class (those who usually do well, and get As no matter what). :(

synapse said:
it's really 20 percent get As... but that includes A minuses. So, I am assuming 10 percent get solid As.

Anyway, I am not very smart. I usually get As in my Bio classes, but that's because I depend on the curve (classes are usually 400 people, which means 40 solid As).

Summer classes are a lot smaller. There are a lot of smart people in my class (those who usually do well, and get As no matter what). :(

It is your decision. If you think you can do better in it during the school year, then maybe you should wait. From my experience this summer (I took two upperdivision bio classes, ending last Friday), the people are no smarter than during the school year. In many ways, summer school is EASIER than the school year because, even though the class is jam-packed with information, there is no way that the same amount of material can be covered.

^^ haha, but look at ur scores. you're one of those smart ppl that others would be afraid of :(

i guess summer school is either... the people are really smart (want to get ahead), or really dumb (cuz they failed the course). true or false?

If it is a class you intend to get some out of such as preparing for the MCAT, better take it during the school year.

Suck it up, and show those other kids who their real DADDY is!!!!!!!!!! :laugh:

I doubt the competition will be that much different than during the semester. 100 and 400 are both large student samples. Im sure the sample of people who chose to take summer classes reflects the make up of the student body pretty well. BUT. . .the fact you even posted a Q like this makes me think you would be one of those statistical outliers on the far left of that bell curve either way. Is it worth dropping the class because you might get an A-? Furthermore, why would you want to start focusing on the MCAT next semester? An intensive 10 wks is more than enough to prepare. There is no need to start studying 8 months in advance. If anything, use this opportunity to prove to yourself that you can compete with the big boys. Don't sell yourself short. Im sure you're not THAT stupid. . .even if this question is slightly ridiculous.

so.......... should i take it or no?

AHH!!

no, i need more time to study for the mcats. im not as smart as you all in the forum. :/ how come people study for the sats more than they study for mcats?

i studied for about 4 hours for the SAT and somewhere between 50-75 hours for the MCAT

synapse said:
so.......... should i take it or no?

AHH!!

no, i need more time to study for the mcats. im not as smart as you all in the forum. :/ how come people study for the sats more than they study for mcats?
people studying for the sat? thats funny.

i mean 20% of the class gets As or A-s. If you can put in just enough work to get an A- i'd do it.

but if you really need the time to study for the mcat, and this class you are taking over the summer is not really a necessity then just drop it. you sound like you would be more relieved if you dropped it.