Take SDN with a grain of salt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rw0008

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
To anyone who has been discouraged on SDN- don't listen to them!

A few months ago, I took my DAT and posted a few times on SDN looking for advice. I got a 21 AA: 23C 23O 20B 20RC 18QR 15PAT. My oGPA is a 3.7 and sGPA is 3.5 and I am an Asian from FL. I have plenty of volunteering, shadowing, extracurric, and research hours. I know my PAT is below average, but I felt I still had a chance since my application is well rounded. SDNers suggested me to retake my DAT and to apply next cycle because my sGPA is too low.

Well, I did not listen to anyone, followed my intuition, and applied early. I decided to apply to 20 schools instead of the average 10-15 and I can proudly say I have 5 pre-Dec interviews!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users

A few months ago, I took my DAT and posted a few times on SDN looking for advice. I got a 21 AA: 23C 23O 20B 20RC 18QR 15PAT. My oGPA is a 3.7 and sGPA is 3.5 and I am an Asian from FL. I have plenty of volunteering, shadowing, extracurric, and research hours. I know my PAT is below average, but I felt I still had a chance since my application is well rounded. SDNers suggested me to retake my DAT and to apply next cycle because my sGPA is too low.

Well, I did not listen to anyone, followed my intuition, and applied early. I decided to apply to 20 schools instead of the average 10-15 and I can proudly say I have 5 pre-Dec interviews!

It amazes me how some people make their entire decision about whether or not to retake the DAT solely based on what other pre-dents (who have no admissions experience) tell them. SDN is a good source, but that's all it is- a source. It is better to consult multiple sources (including talking to admissions officers at schools you are thinking of applying to) before making such drastic decisions.

The SDN Pre-medical forum users are lucky because they have multiple admissions officers on there to give advice, so perhaps pre-meds can let SDN have more influence on their decisions there. But as far as I know, there is not a single, registered, frequently-posting dental school admissions officer on these pre-dental forums.

Thanks for sharing, OP. Congratulations on your interviews!

It amazes me how some people make their entire decision about whether or not to retake the DAT solely based on what other pre-dents (who have no admissions experience) tell them. SDN is a good source, but that's all it is- a source. It is better to consult multiple sources (including talking to admissions officers at schools you are thinking of applying to) before making such drastic decisions.

The SDN Pre-medical forum users are lucky because they have multiple admissions officers on there to give advice, so perhaps pre-meds can let SDN have more influence on their decisions there. But as far as I know, there is not a single, registered, frequently-posting dental school admissions officer on these pre-dental forums.

Thanks for sharing, OP. Congratulations on your interviews!
Have you come across Dr. Emil Chuck in Case Western thread?

Members don't see this ad :)
It amazes me how some people make their entire decision about whether or not to retake the DAT solely based on what other pre-dents (who have no admissions experience) tell them.

But they're other people on the Internet, so they must be right! I MUST TAKE THEIR WORD AS GOSPEL.

/s

Reactions: 1 user
Same boat....15 QR "take the DAT again" they said, "even though its QR..." they said. 5 Pre-Dec interviews.

Reactions: 3 users
Have you come across Dr. Emil Chuck in Case Western thread?

I have not, but a quick look at his posting history reveals that the majority of his presence is confined to "School Specific Discussions"....I'm guessing Case Western Class of 20XX threads... In contrast, if you go over to the pre-allo threads, you'll quickly find Adcoms like Goro, LizzyM, etc. who are answering pre-medical questions about the MCAT, ECs, interview, etc. in the general pre-medical forum.

The point I'm trying to make is access. Like you just pointed out, I didn't even know that Dr. Chuck existed and I probably wouldn't have ever found out since he mostly posts in that one specific part of the forum. And that's fine since that is his school and his account, but my point still stands: there is not a single registered, frequently-posting dental school admissions officer in the general pre-dental forums.

Last edited:
No one said your sGPA is too low. If they did they were being sarcastic and you didn't catch it.

Make this thread after you have acceptances, not interviews. Every cycle plenty of low-stat candidates with pre-December interviews end up not getting acceptances because the low stats do come back to bite them in the ass. Contrary to popular belief, at most schools your stats still weigh in the acceptance decision or on the basis of your overall "score" that interview is only a part of. A lot of pre-dents seem to be under the impression that once they get an interview they are on equal footing with all other candidates, which is rarely the case.

Another thing: you were told to retake because it could significantly improve your application. Just because you have a handful of interviews now doesn't mean you wouldn't have had plenty more (from perhaps even better schools) had you heeded the advice. I doubt anyone ever told you "retake the DAT or you won't even get pre-December interviews!"

Reactions: 2 users
Hey, if you ask for advice you need to be willing to take the critiques you get. No one likely said you couldn't get in - but that you could increase your odds

If you take SDN with a grain of salt, you are going to settle for less. You gotta aim high

Advise is just an advise and it's based on the previous experience of the advisers. Decision is up to you.
Before venting, get an acceptance - right now you have pretty much nothing

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
If you take SDN with a grain of salt, you are going to settle for less. You gotta aim high

Ruff day, I just thought of a new motto for you: "RuffDay....Aim high, score higher."
:D

The claim that your sGPA is too low is risible; congratulations on your interviews and I hope you get accepted somewhere! I performed better on the DAT but my GPA is lower than yours, so wish me luck!

I used to post more often when I was an advisor and have written a few articles. But I cannot make my peers post if they don't want to. Besides I know it is too easy to get too distracted with discussions.

That said, many admissions staff at many dental schools do read the forums.

Of course if you were interested in Case, you would know how active I have been on other social media, including a mobile app and many videos directed at serious applicants. But I am trying to persuade my peers to do more too.

We do have the ADEA GoDental Virtual Fair we hold once a year for more questions for other admissions staff. But yes it will take some doing to get more of them to want to interact here.

Reactions: 2 users