Take this lab/research job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jimkat

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an offer to work 5-10 hours a week (unpaid) in my bio prof's lab. Basically doing grunt work and then some research in a couple of months after I have learned what I'm doing. I figure I will at least get a great LOR out of it. Just looking for some feedback as to whether it will make my application better and if it is worth doing. What should I expect/demand in order to get anything out of it? Don't know if this matters but I'm a non-trad out of school 10 years.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd go for it unless you have some overriding reason not to. It will be a definite plus on your app.

jimkat said:
I have an offer to work 5-10 hours a week (unpaid) in my bio prof's lab. Basically doing grunt work and then some research in a couple of months after I have learned what I'm doing. I figure I will at least get a great LOR out of it. Just looking for some feedback as to whether it will make my application better and if it is worth doing. What should I expect/demand in order to get anything out of it? Don't know if this matters but I'm a non-trad out of school 10 years.

If you have the time for it then ABSOLUTELY take it. You will get a good letter plus most schools are big on having had research experience. Sounds like a great deal to me.