Taken on 9/8/2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

junh0919

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys, just got back from taking the DAT this morning,, Scores are:

PAT 24 (97.2)
QR 23 (97.0)
RC 20 (65.5)
BIO 20 (86.5)
GC 23 (93.7)
OC 20 (76.2)
TS 21 (90.3)
AA 21 (91.3)

Overall, not bad it seems. But the testing center was REALLY cold, and my body went through a crisis of indigestion in middle of GC section,, It's embarrassing but I had to use about 6 minutes of my time given for science section to take care of that trouble. Thus the TS score reflects that trouble, especially OC which I had to fly through within ~17 minutes.. D:
As a "ghost member" who looked up all sorts of tips and strategies through this forum without contributing anything, I decided to write up a breakdown of my score.

BIO: Really the only study tools I used were the Feralis's Bio Notes, and some sections of Baron's AP Biology book (4th edition). I used DAT Bootcamp and 2 KBB practice tests to practice, but nothing more to say about this. Since I really didn't prepare that much for this section, I think I got a score that I deserve. If you want to do good on this section, put some time into it, because cramming will NOT work. I would say it is best to take it when your memory is still fresh after taking your Biochem I class.

GC + OC: My major is biochemistry so I wasn't really much worried about these sections. Chad's Videos to study, Chad's quizzes and DAT Bootcamp to practice. I believe that if I had plenty of time to answer each question thoroughly, I would've done a lot better on both of these sections. Do Not Eat Heavy in the morning of the DAT! ...LOL

QR: I didn't really do much to study this, but over this last week before the test, I constantly found practice tests for this section and just practiced over and over to make myself get faster at this section. The key to QR isn't just being able to do them, it's being able to do them in time. The questions were very possible to do, but you should consistently practice to get introduced to all kinds of problems and get your calculations faster. I used DAT Bootcamp, KBB practice tests, QVault test (the free one). The more practice you can find, the better.

RC: Nothing much to say here.. English is my second language, so I was never good at the subject. (truth is, I was never good at this kind of reading/writing subject in my own language neither!) I didn't prepare for it that well, I barely did any practice except for the three full-length exams and 1 DAT Bootcamp practice test (free one). I am quite happy with the score I got. Method I used was search & destroy, where I look at three questions at a time, memorizing key words for each question and start searching. I don't know any good way to practice this.

PAT: DAT Bootcamp, KBB tests, Chad's (angle), and some free PAT practice tests that you can find on google. As you can see, I didn't use much things for this at all. Honestly I never thought PAT was hard, and the only problem I had was the angle ranking, which I came up with a technique to get better at. Can't say much about the section except for HP and AR. Use this technique "http://youtu.be/7ud0ZX0eEFA" for hole punching. It worked really well for me, and I think it should work well for anybody. For the angle ranking, I used a technique called "crossed-eye" technique that I came up with. When comparing 2 angles that are right next to each other, just cross your eyes. If you don't know what this means, put an index finger out in front of you and focus your eyes on to that finger, then the rest of the world becomes blurry (or the left world and the right world sort of crosses over). If you do it right, you can see the two angles being overlapped with each other. You will be able to tell in less than 5 seconds which on is bigger! It only works for angles that are right next to each other though. Practice using chad's angle ranking practice problems on his website. They're free.

And... that sums up my breakdown.. The scores aren't super high, but I thought sharing my experience in preparing might be helpful to someone out there. Btw, can anyone tell me where I am standing with this score, in terms of being accepted to a dental school?:love:

Members don't see this ad.

I know what you mean about cold testing center, that really screwed me last time. I remember during the QR section I was starting to shiver and couldn't concentrate any longer and combining that with having to pee I just wanted to get out of there. Will be wearing a parka next time :D