Taking 13 credits as a sophomore?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amar314

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. This upcoming semester I'm set to take 13 credit hours. Is this too little and looked down upon? I won't be working but with volunteering I "work" about 10 hours a week. My first semester of college was difficult and so I'm working towards improving my GPA. This fall I took 14 credits and ended up with a 3.76 GPA, however, I'll be taking Orgo (which I don't know what to expect) and really want to assure I can get at least a 3.6 GPA.

Here's my schedule:
Organic Chem I (no lab at my univ)
Biology II & L
General Psych
Easy elective

Sometimes I doubt this career because I should have easily gotten straight A's this past semester and should be able to handle more than the above, what are some opinions? I found myself studying 5-10 hours (depending on the week) every day this fall semester (14 hours: Bio1&L (B, A), Chem2&L (A, A-), Stats (A), Food Science (A)).

The problem is that I wouldn't know what to take since I can't really add another time consuming science class to the schedule.

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly people made a big deal about needing to take 15+ credits every semester and I don't think that taking less than that is looked down upon. Taking 13 credits and getting a 4.0 is better than taking 17 credits and getting a 3.2. This is like choosing a major, no matter what you do you are expected to just do well.

Summary: Take 13 credits if that puts you in the best position to do well.

Hi everyone. This upcoming semester I'm set to take 13 credit hours. Is this too little and looked down upon? I won't be working but with volunteering I "work" about 10 hours a week. My first semester of college was difficult and so I'm working towards improving my GPA. This fall I took 14 credits and ended up with a 3.76 GPA, however, I'll be taking Orgo (which I don't know what to expect) and really want to assure I can get at least a 3.6 GPA.

Here's my schedule:
Biology II & L
General Psych
Easy elective

Sometimes I doubt this career because I should have easily gotten straight A's this past semester and should be able to handle more than the above, what are some opinions? I found myself studying 5-10 hours (depending on the week) every day this fall semester (14 hours: Bio1&L (B, A), Chem2&L (A, A-), Stats (A), Food Science (A)).

The problem is that I wouldn't know what to take since I can't really add another time consuming science class to the schedule.
You're fine. Just do the best you can do.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have no absolute answer but do whatever gets you the best gpa possible. More likely they forgive a low credit load semester (doubt they even care) than a low gpa

Here's my schedule:
Biology II & L
General Psych
Easy elective

Honestly though... You could do more. If you can't tack on another science course, then tack on another elective as well (like a general education requirement).

You need to take 15 units a semester to be able to graduate within 4 years. If you take any less than that, you'll be extending it to 5+ years. This is the problem with science majors who, at my uni, end up taking 6 years to finish even if they don't work full time.

Honestly though... You could do more. If you can't tack on another science course, then tack on another elective as well (like a general education requirement).

You need to take 15 units a semester to be able to graduate within 4 years. If you take any less than that, you'll be extending it to 5+ years. This is the problem with science majors who, at my uni, end up taking 6 years to finish even if they don't work full time.
This is not true at my school.

Reactions: 1 users
Having to take 15 credits is the biggest hoax; Many students come with college credit and many more take summer classes (Florida schools require students to take at least one summer). As a result of this you do not need to take 15 credits as a rule; there are more to scheduling classes than the raw number of credits. Considering that you will be taking OChem, I think that 13 credits is adequate. Honestly nobody should really need to take more than two science classes at a time.

Having to take 15 credits is the biggest hoax; Many students come with college credit and many more take summer classes (Florida schools require students to take at least one summer). As a result of this you do not need to take 15 credits as a rule; there are more to scheduling classes than the raw number of credits. Considering that you will be taking OChem, I think that 13 credits is adequate. Honestly nobody should really need to take more than two science classes at a time.
Not everyone comes in with credits (my high school did not offer ap courses either).
Not everyone can afford summer/winter courses.

Not everyone comes in with credits (my high school did not offer ap courses either).
Not everyone can afford summer/winter courses.

I was primarily addressing OP who goes to a school in FL :p

Thanks for clarifying. However, 1 summer is not going to make up for 8 semesters of 13 unit courseload either.

We are required to take 9 credits of summer coursework.
So 120 credits to graduate - 9 required summer credits = 111 credits over 8 semesters, or 14 credits per semester. She can take more than 14 credits in one semester and take less in another.

We are required to take 9 credits of summer coursework.
So 120 credits to graduate - 9 required summer credits = 111 credits over 8 semesters, or 14 credits per semester. She can take more than 14 credits in one semester and take less in another.
Depending on the major, you'll have to take more than 120. Bumping a 13 credit courseload to a 14 may require taking another class as well, which is no different from my previous suggestion.

Honestly, we don't have too much info about the OP's situation to make a more reasonable suggestion. OP should just talk to an academic adviser. That goes for anyone else with very specific academic questions...

Thank you all! I don't plan on forever taking 13 credits a semester, just so happens I don't want to overload myself this upcoming semester since orgo is known to be difficult and I want to have plenty of time to do well. I did come in with some AP credits and gen eds are mostly out of the way or they'll be covered through labs/electives...etc. I don't expect to be graduating late. Florida does have a summer requirement so that should cover any gaps I'm leaving. I was simply looking for opinions as to how a few low credit semesters are viewed, which I see the consensus is that they're fine.

My major's 120 credits btw.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks for clarifying. However, 1 summer is not going to make up for 8 semesters of 13 unit courseload either.
This is incredibly school-specific- it seems odd to bandy this about as general advice when it's simply blatantly untrue at many institutions.

A lower credit load once in a while isn't going to matter, just do well, learn how to handle orgo, and take a normal load next sem.

Plus, AMCAS breaks credits down by year anyway, so a 13 cr. sem + 17 cr. spring = 30 credits.

This is incredibly school-specific- it seems odd to bandy this about as general advice when it's simply blatantly untrue at many institutions.
What I am saying is relevant to most institutions. My warnings stem from the fact that this past decade, 5-6 year graduation rates have become the norm. Not to mention cuts to education spending have increased the probability of being waitlisted. Granted, I've already mentioned before that we don't know enough about the OP's situation to start giving sound advice. So take your accusations elsewhere.

And while you're there, why don't you read up on the statistics: http://media.collegeboard.com/digit...r-graduation-rates-for-four-year-colleges.pdf

Thank you all! I don't plan on forever taking 13 credits a semester, just so happens I don't want to overload myself this upcoming semester since orgo is known to be difficult and I want to have plenty of time to do well. I did come in with some AP credits and gen eds are mostly out of the way or they'll be covered through labs/electives...etc. I don't expect to be graduating late. Florida does have a summer requirement so that should cover any gaps I'm leaving. I was simply looking for opinions as to how a few low credit semesters are viewed, which I see the consensus is that they're fine.

My major's 120 credits btw.

This is a sound plan as orgo does require an inordinate amount of studying time relative to other science course I've taken (with biochem being the exception). My concern now is the fact that you'll be stuck with a whole ton of major-related coursework since you've burned through most of your GEs. If you're a science major, this may mean taking 3-5 science courses at a time which is tough.

And to be more on topic, no. Adcoms will likely not focus on the minute details of your transcript when there are more pressing matters to focus on such as personal statement, secondary essays, LOR . . .

What I am saying is relevant to most institutions. My warnings stem from the fact that this past decade, 5-6 year graduation rates have become the norm. Not to mention cuts to education spending have increased the probability of being waitlisted. Granted, I've already mentioned before that we don't know enough about the OP's suggestion to start giving sound advice. So take your accusations elsewhere.

And while you're there, why don't you read up on the statistics: http://media.collegeboard.com/digit...r-graduation-rates-for-four-year-colleges.pdf
The statistics I'd be interested in have nothing to do with graduation rates (a subject I never once mentioned, and which I care pretty much zero about) and more to do with 'how many schools have the specific graduation requirements put forth in this thread?'

I didn't accuse you of jack; I just said that it I found it odd that you are assuming that OP's school has some specific set of graduation requirements. I also read and 'Like'd the other post where you say OP should ask his academic advisor...that doesn't mean that I can't point out that you are giving very specific advice with no specific knowledge of OP's graduation reqs.

The statistics I'd be interested in have nothing to do with graduation rates (a subject I never once mentioned, and which I care pretty much zero about) and more to do with 'how many schools have the specific graduation requirements put forth in this thread?'

I didn't accuse you of jack; I just said that it I found it odd that you are assuming that OP's school has some specific set of graduation requirements. I also read and 'Like'd the other post where you say OP should ask his academic advisor...that doesn't mean that I can't point out that you are giving very specific advice with no specific knowledge of OP's graduation reqs.

I'm not giving specific advice at all. 15 units a semester for 2 semesters/year x 4 years = 120 units, which is the minimum units for graduation at most institutions. Since the OP never once stated where he/she attends undergrad, it would be the most logical to give advice that is applicable to most universities.

Find me a Florida institution that offers a bachelor's with less than 120 semester hours and you get a cookie.

Taking as much coursework as possible is beneficial for all students, regardless of their institution. It will increase the probability of graduating on time by decreasing the probability of being waitlisted, decreasing the probability of having schedule conflicts, and decreasing the probability of having to work to pay for additional summer courses (as more work requires a lighter courseload which will result in slower graduation).

Find me a Florida institution that offers a bachelor's with less than 120 semester hours and you get a cookie.

Finding a degree that requires more than 120 credit hours is extremely unordinary. Most degrees require far less; and you get room for elective coursework.

Taking as much coursework as possible is beneficial for all students, regardless of their institution..

Actually we are capped at taking 132 credits (including failed and repeated coursework, as well as withdrawals) here in FL. Crossing that line will result in OOS charges and loss of financial aid.

I kinda remembered the background of the OP from her other threads, so I advised that taking 13 credits will not be an issue. I appreciate your efforts to boost graduation rates, but for OP that was not the issue at hand.

Reactions: 1 user
Funny thing OP, I took Orgo 1, Bio 2, and Gen Psych with an elective myself last Spring.
And then I took Orgo 2 with lab in the summer. Was very glad to take Orgo lab in the summer as it was brutal.

I agree with @Holmwood that you should try to save some of your Gen Ed classes so that you are not stuck with 3+ science classes per semester later on.

Funny thing OP, I took Orgo 1, Bio 2, and Gen Psych with an elective myself last Spring.
And then I took Orgo 2 with lab in the summer. Was very glad to take Orgo lab in the summer as it was brutal.
That's actually a relief to hear since I'm planning on taking Orgo II this summer as well! I don't think it'd be a good idea pairing that class & the lab with physics next year!

I agree with @Holmwood that you should try to save some of your Gen Ed classes so that you are not stuck with 3+ science classes per semester later on.
You see, this is something that always worries me and I'm not sure how other people go about it. Considering a large portion of students have come in with at least a few AP credits then there comes a point when they've either completed their gen eds or will do so eventually with gen psych, sociology, labs...at least that's how it is for me. Do people get a minor or...? My gen eds are basically done because the only ones left will be fulfilled with prereqs.

Finding a degree that requires more than 120 credit hours is extremely unordinary. Most degrees require far less; and you get room for elective coursework.
Graduation with a bachelor's still typically requires 120 credit hours. The key word here is graduation and not major requirement (which you're getting at with the elective coursework.) But there is no need to discuss any further since @amar314 already stated that her major requires 120.

You see, this is something that always worries me and I'm not sure how other people go about it. Considering a large portion of students have come in with at least a few AP credits then there comes a point when they've either completed their gen eds or will do so eventually with gen psych, sociology, labs...at least that's how it is for me. Do people get a minor or...? My gen eds are basically done because the only ones left will be fulfilled with prereqs.
Sometimes you just got to take 3-4 major requisites at once... You can't do much about it unless you're planning on extending your graduation (which people often do).

There are strategies people employ that can help lighten the course load. You could try taking pre-reqs during the summer to lighten the fall/spring courseload, but let's assume you'll still end up with 3-4 major related courses per semester. You can try other means of lightening your courseload. Here are a couple of my suggestions.

1)Choosing upper division electives that are easy (check out ratemyprofessor for easy graders).
Probably the first thing I would do since insider information on courses taught can be quite invaluable for planning. Near my graduation when I was swamped with science upper divisions, I took couple graduate level courses that required no tests at all! All grading was based off reports/presentations.

2) Refining study skills (ex. recording lecture notes instead of reading the book).
You will want to start refining your study skills anyway as the rigor of medical school education is something akin to taking 20 credit hours per semester from what I heard. And they're all science courses. For your valuable GPA, I wouldn't recommend doing this with Ochem II, but perhaps later in your undergrad. Though this won't "lighten" your courseload, finding more efficient means of studying will certainly make your semester feel lighter.

3) Doing ECs for upper division elective (Ex. undergraduate directed research, field experience, etc)
Since you'll be doing ECs to boost your med school application, why not kill some major requisites along the way?

Eh, one light semester won't kill your chances. Eight of them would. Getting all Bs in the light semester might raise some eyebrows, but strong performance in subsequent and more rigorous semesters will allay any qualms Adcoms might have.

Here's my schedule:
Biology II & L
General Psych
Easy elective

Reactions: 2 users
Eh, one light semester won't kill your chances. Eight of them would. Getting all Bs in the light semester might raise some eyebrows, but strong performance in subsequent and more rigorous semesters will allay any qualms Adcoms might have.
Thanks so much Goro, I really appreciate you clearing everything up!

Graduation with a bachelor's still typically requires 120 credit hours. The key word here is graduation and not major requirement (which you're getting at with the elective coursework.) But there is no need to discuss any further since @amar314 already stated that her major requires 120.

Sometimes you just got to take 3-4 major requisites at once... You can't do much about it unless you're planning on extending your graduation (which people often do).

There are strategies people employ that can help lighten the course load. You could try taking pre-reqs during the summer to lighten the fall/spring courseload, but let's assume you'll still end up with 3-4 major related courses per semester. You can try other means of lightening your courseload. Here are a couple of my suggestions.

1)Choosing upper division electives that are easy (check out ratemyprofessor for easy graders).
Probably the first thing I would do since insider information on courses taught can be quite invaluable for planning. Near my graduation when I was swamped with science upper divisions, I took couple graduate level courses that required no tests at all! All grading was based off reports/presentations.

2) Refining study skills (ex. recording lecture notes instead of reading the book).
You will want to start refining your study skills anyway as the rigor of medical school education is something akin to taking 20 credit hours per semester from what I heard. And they're all science courses. For your valuable GPA, I wouldn't recommend doing this with Ochem II, but perhaps later in your undergrad. Though this won't "lighten" your courseload, finding more efficient means of studying will certainly make your semester feel lighter.

3) Doing ECs for upper division elective (Ex. undergraduate directed research, field experience, etc)
Since you'll be doing ECs to boost your med school application, why not kill some major requisites along the way?
Thanks a lot, your suggestions are actually very helpful!

You have a light schedule. Maybe you can take another easy elective. It might be a good idea to ask your upperclassman and see if they have any good class recommendations.

I would spend the extra time doing more volunteer work, shadowing and/or doing some research (basic or clinical).

Here's my schedule:
Biology II & L
General Psych
Easy elective

im sure med schools would rather you do 13 hours of hard classes than 17 hours of easy classes. Course difficulty > Credit Load anytime.

For instance I am taking Organic Chem, Physics, Biology 3 and Bioethics next semester which is 16 hours, the credit load is less than im used to, but the classes are harder and I will need more time to study them. I believe med schools will appreciate than more than 20 hours of bull crap courses and a pinch of science.