Taking a 1-year LOA from HPSP for an MPH or MSc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ieatpizza

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an Army HPSP student soon to start 3rd year. I'm considering taking a 1-year leave of absence to obtain an MSc or MPH degree after third year before returning for my final year of med school. I've met one person who has done this, but haven't been able to contact her about how she did it. Any advice on the chances of being granted a LOA?

I'm going to try to apply for grants and fellowships (i.e. Zuckerman fellowship at Harvard, Fulbright grant for study in the U.K.) because I don't want to take out loans. Does it make a difference if you're taking loans out for the degree or whether you've got a grant/scholarship? Also, any chance the Army will pay for the degree (unlikely, but just asking)?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

There have been many posts about this issue, do a search and you may find people with more insight than I.
I question the wisdom of doing a program like that before you start you payback. I don't think it will be all that useful in your initial payback, and it's in your best interest to study that just before you put it into practice.
If you wait until your obligation is done, you can apply the GI bill to pay for it. If you decide to stay in past your obligation, you may be able to get the Army to pay for it as part of a prev med or aerospace medicine residency. I was told by the guy who runs the Navy RAM program that you can do the MPH whereever you choose. Even though the military puts a cap on what they will pay for that degree, well endowed schools like Havad will dip into their endowment for the difference if you are funded by the government.

Thanks, trail doc. I did a search and found a couple threads on it (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=498708 and http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=89606). But let's say I don't have plans on doing an aerospace or preventive medicine residency nor am I eligible for the GI bill (academy grad, plus with my extended obligation that'd be way too late in my career to make use of a master's) and I have a very specific goal in mind in pursuing an additional degree during medical school (I'm actually interested in an MSc and having a good full year to read and do research in an area that I think will be pertinent to my clinical training).

Assuming that getting the degree now in med school is better than delaying it, I'm curious if anyone has done this and how it was done. The other HPSP student I mentioned had earned a Zuckerman fellowship and had to jump through a bunch of hoops to convince the Army to allow her to take a year off. Is getting a prestigious scholarship necessary to convince the Army to do something like this?

There have been many posts about this issue, do a search and you may find people with more insight than I.
I question the wisdom of doing a program like that before you start you payback. I don't think it will be all that useful in your initial payback, and it's in your best interest to study that just before you put it into practice.
If you wait until your obligation is done, you can apply the GI bill to pay for it. If you decide to stay in past your obligation, you may be able to get the Army to pay for it as part of a prev med or aerospace medicine residency. I was told by the guy who runs the Navy RAM program that you can do the MPH whereever you choose. Even though the military puts a cap on what they will pay for that degree, well endowed schools like Havad will dip into their endowment for the difference if you are funded by the government.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took a year off b/w my 2nd and 3rd year of medical school to get my MPH. I didn't have many problems with the transitions for the navy, but my med school gave me full scholarship for my year of MPH tuition... if you have any other specific questions with the HPSP protocals etc. let me know. Good luck - I think it will be a good plan for you - you will get paid more b/c you have an extra degree AND it puts you one year ahead of your other fellow classmates for promotion!

Hi, I'm wondering if you were able to take the LOA and pursue your secondary degree. How did that work out with the HPSP?

I just started 1st year and am about to sign with the Army, but wanted to research this question before fully committing. Would love to hear how things worked out for you.